Test Call: Is Your Coffee Gone in a Flash?

  • Thomas Vickers
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2010
      How about Jetboil Flash with Java Kit, so that your coffee can be made
      in a flash?
      Three lucky testers will get their hands on the following;

      http://shop.jetboil.com/index.php/flash-java-kit-cooking-system.html

      Please remember the following in your succinct application:

      1. The opening disclaimer for testing
      2. A Personal bio
      3. A brief test plan, just long enough to demonstrate you understand the
      product and where you will be testing it
      4. A link to your previous tests/ORs (summary page)
      5. List your current test load, or a link to your test status page
      6. List any applications currently under consideration
      7. List any additional BGT roles (mentor, monitor, etc.)

      Now for the TEST CALL SPECIFICS...

      - Newbie Limit DOES Apply
      - US Shipping Included
      - Test Call closes @ 9 pm central time, Tuesday, March 9, 2010
      - Please included "Jetboil Flash With Java Kit" in the subject line of
      your application
      - Thomas Vickers is the Moderator for this test

      Happy applicating,

      TV
    • Mike Mosack
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2010
        Please accept my application to test the Jetboil Flash with Java Kit.

        I have read the BGT By-Laws (v.0609) including Chapter 5 and will comply
        with all of the reporting terms and requirements. My signed tester agreement
        is on file. I will have no difficulty meeting the expected use requirements.

        Biographical Information:
        Name: Michael Mosack
        Age: 46
        Gender: Male
        Height: 6'01" (1.85 m)
        Weight: 236.0 lbs (107.0 kg)

        Email Address: mosack at earthlink dot net
        San Diego, California, USA

        Date: Mar 2, 2010

        My Backpacking Background: I've been backpacking for over 30 years, doing solo and group trips, with and without kids. I do day trips, weekenders and week-long or longer trips throughout the year. I backpack in all climates and seasons, from summer desert trips to Spring/Winter camping in Michigan, Canada California and Grand Canyon, Arizona to Afghanistan and rely on my backpacking equipment constantly. I prefer to go lighter whenever possible and am always trying new items. Quality and reliability of items I carry are paramount to me over price and weight.

        Testing plan: This is cool! A stove that actually matches my gear! My testing plan includes using the Jetboil Flash during extended time in the field, day and night in varying climates and terrain, to include rocky desert floor to forested mountains. Over the past 20 months, I have over 500 days/nights in the field. This field time will continue at least until June 2010. Additionally, I have upcoming trips planned when I get my vacation for March/April to the Laguna Mountains in Southern California and Sierra Nevadas and Yellowstone Park in June/July.

        I am interested in how well the Jetboil Flash will perform during my extended field time here where summer temperatures reach in excess of 135 degrees Fahrenheit. I hope to also be able to test this product's durability by comparing operation in both warmer and colder temperatures. Ease and consistent ignition, burn times for set measures of water, checking for leaks, checking the accuracy of the heat indicator window. It should be easy to operate with and without gloves on and be sturdy enough so it does not fail and spill your food or beverage. I am concerned about any odd smell or taste permeating into the food/beverages the item holds and how easily it cleans up and packs away. I am also concerned about the potential for scorching due to the heat of the stove onto the insulated bottom of the cooking cup.

        I will also test this product in various situations by checking size vs. pack-ability, stability with and without using the stand,, quality of manufacturing and comparison of manufacturer's claims to product capabilities, in as much as I am able. I will have standard backpacking and hiking trips from base camp, where appropriate.

        My tester status link: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1872.htm

        Previously Written Reports
        Owner Reviews: My last three completed Owner Reviews are available at the following links.

        1.. Therm-a-Rest Compressible Pillow
        2.. Petzl Taktikka LED headlamp
        3.. McNett Microfiber towel

        Completed Tests: None
        Current Tests: Stuffitts Shoe Savers - IR completed to date.
        Selected to test the Glide 51 Lantern/Flashlight and awaiting product delivery.

        Tests you are Monitoring: None

        Current open test call applications submitted include the following.

        1.. Eureka Tessel 2 Tent
        2.. Kelty Lakota 4000 pack
        3.. Fozzils Duet
        4.. Four Marino Hiking Socks

        Labors of love - Volunteered to become an editor, but need 3 completed tests first so I am working on it.

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2010
          After researching my options, It appears that I will not be able to get the required fuel canisters here in Afghanistan. I must therefore ask that you disregard my application for the Jetboil Flash. I think it only fair to open this to other testers who can spend more time with this product than I as I could only test this during my vacation periods when returning back to the States.
          Apologies for any inconvenience. I will do a better job of checking regulations and product/consumables such as fuel availability prior to submitting apps in the future.
          Mike

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2010
            Mike,

            Got it and THANK YOU for checking this out!

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2010
              Stay safe over there, Mike.
              On Mar 1, 2010, at 10:30 PM, Mike Mosack wrote:

              > After researching my options, It appears that I will not be able to
              > get the required fuel canisters here in Afghanistan. I must
              > therefore ask that you disregard my application for the Jetboil
              > Flash. I think it only fair to open this to other testers who can
              > spend more time with this product than I as I could only test this
              > during my vacation periods when returning back to the States.
              > Apologies for any inconvenience. I will do a better job of checking
              > regulations and product/consumables such as fuel availability prior
              > to submitting apps in the future.
              > Mike

            • ben.mansfield
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 2, 2010
                As a coffee junkie, I'm hoping that you'll please accept my application to test the Jetboil Flash stove with Java Kit. I have read and agree to comply with the BackpackGearTest.org Bylaws, v. 0609 with special attention paid to Chapter 5 and the new test format. My tester agreement is on file.

                Name: Ben Mansfield
                Age: 32
                Gender: Male
                Height: 6'0" (1.8 m)
                Weight: 175 lbs (80 kg)
                e-mail Address: benmansfield27 AT gmail DOT com
                City, State, Country: North Ridgeville, OH, USA

                Backpacking Background:

                Over the past 15 years or so, I've tried to average at least one weekend trip per month year round, primarily in PA, WV, and VA. During the last 10 years, I've tried to take a weeklong trip somewhere further, but still usually in the eastern US. I have hiked many sections of the AT in Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia, along with some longer trips in the Western US and Eastern Canada. I have also backpacked nearly all of the North Country Trail as it runs through Pennsylvania, and many of those sections multiple times, as this is probably the closest major trail system to me.

                I consider myself a mid-weight hiker, preferring some luxury over an ultralight load. My typical base pack weight (no food, no water) is around 20 lbs (9 kg), and doesn't vary much with the seasons.

                In addition to backpacking, my wife and I enjoy car camping at nearby parks and recreation areas. I am also an avid fly fisherman, mountain & road cyclist, snow skier, and enjoy sailing my homemade dinghy.

                Field Information:

                Due to work and home schedules, my trips are often planned at the last minute (well, the week before anyway). However, my usual stomping grounds are the Allegheny National Forest in Northwestern Pennsylvania / Southwestern New York state. I also backpack many of the overnight loop trails in Ohio's state parks and forests. On occasion, I'll venture into West Virginia or further south and if I have a longer weekend, I'll head to the Appalachian Trail somewhere along the eastern seaboard.

                The weather in my part of the world through the rest of the winter and into the spring will be ideal for testing this stove and java kit. Some days are rainy, some days are sunny, we get snow, ice, sleet, slush. No matter what, every day on the trail for me starts with a
                cup of coffee.

                Test Plan:
                I've always been a liquid fuel stove user, and though I've been fortunate enough to use and test several different liquid fuel stoves, I've never had the opportunity to use a Jetboil (or any other canister stove for that matter). What I do know is this: I don't go anywhere
                in the morning without my cup of coffee, and my one hiking partner who does have a jetboil usually has not only his java but also his oatmeal cooked and eaten before I'm done making my cup of joe. I'll use this kit for not only my coffee, but also for all of my trail cooking on all of my trips during the testing period. I'll try to answer all of the normal stove use questions, reporting on things like speed to boil, ease of use, maintenance, and clean-up.

                Previously Written Reports:

                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/ben.mansfield

                Outstanding Applications:
                None

                Items Currently Testing:
                Injinji Outdoor Series Socks (LTR due next week)

                Additional BGT roles:
                None