LTR: Gregory Wasatch Pack - Pat McNeilly

  • Pat
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2010
      Hi Ryan,

      Below is the text for my LTR on the Gregory Wasatch Pack. The html can be found at

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/LTR%20-%20Gregory%20Wasatch%20Pack%20-%20McNeilly/

      or

      http://tinyurl.com/y8sqwxe

      Thanks for monitoring this test series.

      Pat McNeilly

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      Over the last couple months I have use the Wasatch Pack on four day hikes in the central Maryland area. The hikes ranged from 4 to 8 miles (6 to 13 km) in length. All these hikes were on well maintained but often rocky trails in Seneca Creek State Park or in the C & O Canal National Historic Park. The temperatures ranged from 20 to 45 F (-7 to 7 C) and usually clear or overcast skies. I did take one of these hikes during a light snowfall with approximately six inches of snow already on the ground.

      I also used the pack during one orienteering event in Greenbelt Park. This race was 3 miles (5 km) in length and was definitely off-trail. I also used the pack for three regular street runs. These were typically 2 to 3 miles on the streets near where I work. The temperatures during these events were about 28 to 37 F (-2 to 3 C) and all during clear weather.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      I still love how much this small pack seems to hold. I can usually get all that I need stuffed into the various compartments. On my hike in the snow, I wanted to see how much I could really bring along. I usually try to carry a minimal amount if stuff but was able to fit a water bottle, a quart sized bag with various survival items, an extra layer of clothing, a closed cell foam sit pad, a sil-nylon poncho tarp and some snacks into the pack. Certainly this was heavier than normal but I felt that it rode pretty well on my back and do not have any complaints.

      I have also been focusing a little more using the pack with a hydration bladder. I typically would fill a bladder with about 2 L of water for a run or an orienteering race just to see how the pack performed. I find that threading the hose through the openings in the pack is pretty easy. When running or orienteering I'm not normally carrying much else and have tried to compress the pack as much as possible. I can get it to a small shape but I have noticed that even if I cinch down the lower internal compression loops that the bladder seems to flop around more than I would like. Also if I did use these internal compression straps the loops tended to dangle quite a bit I needed to tuck them into spaces on the hip belt to keep them from snagging on branches and such.

      The pack has really shown little wear other than c couple of scuff marks on the bottom from setting down on rocks. While using the pack in the snow, I did notice that the items inside the main pack were pretty dry. The items in the mesh pockets, not so much, which is to be expected. This wasn't one of our recent monster snowstorms but I was pleased to see that most of my equipment stayed dry.

      SUMMARY

      The Gregory Wasatch pack is a day pack which is large enough to hold a two liter hydration bladder and also has lots of pockets to organize gear. When not used as a hydration pack, the Wasatch Pack has plenty of space for carrying gear for a day hike. The pack fits close to the body but the shoulder and hip belts stretch during movement. One drawback is that the sternum strap needs to be carefully adjusted for a comfortable fit.

      Things I like:

      1. Lots of space
      2. Hipbelt pockets
      3. Pockets great for organizing

      Things I don't like:

      1. Sternum strap
      2. Small haul loop
      3. Hydration bladders flop around when running

      This concludes my testing of the Gregory Wasatch Pack. I would like to thank Gregory and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this item.

      Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.
    • bigdawgryan
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2010
        Pat,

        Nice test series. Just some minor items to address before posting in the appropriate folder. Please remember to delete your file from the TESTS folder.

        <Comment> We used to live in Frederick, MD and we still miss the mid-Atlantic area, especially the Blue Crabs.

        EDIT: <I have use the Wasatch Pack> - "use" should be "used" -- please correct

        EDIT: <2 to 3 miles on the streets> - need metric equivalents -- please correct

        EDIT: <a minimal amount if stuff> - "if" should be "of" -- please correct

        EDIT: <quart sized bag with various survival items> - need metric equivalent -- please correct

        Edit: <sil-nylon> - I believe this should be "silnylon" -- correct as you see fit

        EDIT: <other than c couple of scuff marks> - the lone "c" should be "a" -- please correct

        Edit: <from setting down on rocks> - I believe "setting" should be "sitting" -- please correct as you see fit

        See you on the next one. RYan