EDIT: [backpackgeartesters] REPOST: FR- TIMEX Exped Watch- Will Rice

  • Mark McLauchlin
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2010
      Thanks Will,

      Much better description on the available functions, thank you for addressing
      these.

      As mentioned in the last post, there will need to be a bit more backpacking
      in the LTR, so go on, get out there.

      No edits for you this time so please upload.

      Regards

      Mark

      Date: 12/28/2009
      Location: Kings Mountain, NC
      Weather: sunny, windy (10-15 mph, 16- 24 kph), 50 F (10 C)
      Activity: Hiking to top of mountain (1000 ft/ 300 m elevation gain), 3.4
      miles (5.5 km) roundtrip

      Performance:
      I have grown to like using the chronometer and then using the "review" mode
      to see elevation gains and losses. Although the graphical mode doesn't
      really tell a whole lot (there are no labels on the axis), I enjoy looking
      at the graph. It also seems like if there is not a lot of total elevation
      change and the time period is long, then the graph is sort of flat.
      I was expecting to be able to monitor temperature with this watch. However,
      when I am wearing it, the temperature is significantly off due to my body
      temperature. I would much prefer a strap that allowed the watch to be away
      from my body. I have considered wearing the watch on a belt loop or
      attaching it to my pack, but I am afraid of it coming off and becoming lost.
      On the way down the mountain I held the watch in my hand to get a true
      temperature reading. It took about 30 minutes for the temperature to lower
      from around 70 F (20 C) to the actual temperature of 50 F (10 C)

      IMAGE 1
      Snowboarding

      II.
      Date: 1/1/2010-1/3/2010
      Location: Gatlinburg, TN
      Weather: Overcast to sunny, windy (10-15 mph, 16- 24 kph), 30-40 F (-1-4.4)
      Activity: Snowboarding (1500-2500 ft/ 457-762 m)

      Performance:
      I was hoping to wear the watch outside of my base layer (but under my jacket
      sleeve) in order to get a more accurate temperature reading. However, the
      watch face is very large, so pulling back my outer sleeve was not possible.
      The watch kept getting caught, even after taking off my gloves and using my
      hands. So, my other plan was to maybe wear the watch outside my jacket, but
      the strap was not long enough.
      The weather prediction icons were off when I was on this trip, so I had to
      recalibrate. It appears as though the weather needs to be recalibrated every
      other week. It also seems like it over predicts rain (more often than it
      actually rains), and it under predicts sunny days.

      III.
      Date: 1/9/2010
      Location: Latta Plantation, Charlotte, NC
      Weather: Cold and sunny, 15-40 F (0 to -10 C), windy (10 mph, 13 kph), 48%
      humidity
      Activity: Orienteering (off-trail running for 3 hours, hiking for 1.5)

      Performance:
      Whenever I am going outdoors and I know I will be changing elevation, I get
      excited about using the chronograph and review features to see my maximum
      altitude and gains and losses. I am a big data junky, so these features of
      the watch really appeal to me.
      For orienteering, I was excited to use the compass function. The compass
      works well and seemed to be accurate. I like the bearing degree number
      indicator as well, so I can compare a degree heading with my friend's
      compass. What I don't like though is that the compass goes blank after a
      short amount of time of non-use and then after a little more non-use the
      watch goes back to the time mode. This makes it less than ideal for
      orienteering or any activity that requires a constant monitoring of
      direction.
      I am further frustrated by the temperature function. What am I supposed to
      do if I am not carrying a pack or clothing that my watch can be attached to
      but I want to be able to get an accurate temperature reading? It seems the
      best technique is to hold it by the strap in my hand (which is no different
      from carrying a thermometer).

      IV.
      Date: 2/6/2010
      Location: Reedy Creek Park, Charlotte, NC
      Weather: Cold and cloudy, 33-45 F (1-7 C), 80-100% humidity
      Activity: Orienteering (off-trail running for 3-4 hours)

      Performance:
      This was another orienteering experience with more of the same observations
      recorded after I had forgotten what I thought about using the watch last
      time I orienteered. See below for notes:
      - annoying to pull sleeve over wrist, annoying to uncover watch
      - love to track progress using chrono. and review modes
      - compass works well, but hard to shoot exact bearings, hate that it goes
      off and changes mode if you don't use it often

      V.
      Other Notes on Features

      Double Time-Zone Feature
      Similar to the Iron Man series of watched that Timex makes, this watch has
      dual time zone settings. This means that you can set a time in two different
      place that you might often travel between, and then just by holding the
      Start/Split button, you can change between the two settings.

      Temperature and INDIGLO
      At night, the watch mostly sits next to my bed. This lets me wake up and
      push the INDIGLO button to see what time it is and what temperature it is.
      The glowing display is very visible at night for clear reading and yet it
      doesn't hurt my unadjusted eyes. I like the display size.

      Function Display
      Below the date/pressure/altitude display on the main screen, there are icons
      telling you when certain features are running (stopwatch, countdown timer,
      alarm). This is a pretty sutbtle feature but is usefull if you're timing a
      hike or something and you have forgotten that your stopwatch is running.
      When you look at the time, you see pixel indicators meaning that the
      features are in use.

      Temperature Accuracy
      I like that the temperature doesn't have to be calibrated or adjusted. At
      first I was wary and wondered if that meant that it might be incorrect.
      However, I have tested against some other watches that tell temperature and
      against known conditions (hot tub, freezing weather) and have found that it
      appears to be accurate.

      Altimeter
      I like this feature, especially since it works in airplanes. I know it's not
      really in the scope of testing for outdoor use, but I really enjoyed using
      the watch to see the rise and descent of the airplane I took over the
      holidays. It also was nice to be in an airplane where I could get a reading
      from the pilot to calibrate the watch. Other than that, I have found it
      annoying to find reference altitudes in my daily life that I can recalibrate
      the watch to. The manual says to recalibrate often.

      Timer
      The timer feature allows for a countdown and alarm for any given time
      setting less than 24 hours. This feature worked well for me when I was
      orienteering and trying to set a pace between markers. Also, the timer can
      be set so that it automatically starts over when it reaches zero. Plus, it
      records how many time it has reset itself so that if you're running or
      hiking a loop you don't have to remember how many counted down units you
      have done.

      Alarm
      The watches alarm is loud enough to wake me up in quiet conditions when it
      is next to my head. The INDIGLO also flashes, which makes it easier to find
      in the dark. The alarm is able to be set on a recurring basis for Daily,
      Weekend, Weekday, or any specific day's use.

      DURABILITY

      The watch has done a remarkable job of staying together. It does have one
      small little nick in the face. Considering what it has gone through (spent a
      lot of time with me doing thesis work in streams) I feel it has held up
      well.

      SUMMARY

      All in all, the watch seems to be holding up well, is easy to operate, and
      does a good job at providing easily visible data to the user.

      Likes
      - easily visible
      - like the color and appearance
      - gives me tons of data
      - buttons easy to push

      Dislikes
      - size sometimes gets in the way (interferes with clothing)
      - temperature indicator not correct when wearing
      - compass doesn't stay on for constant use orienteering

    • dalenmoney
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2010
        aye aye captain.

        Will