IR - Outdoor Research Helium Jacket - Tom Callahan

  • tcallahanbgt
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2010
      Below is my IR for the Outdoor Research Helium Jacket. The html version may be found here: http://tinyurl.com/yf4n75m

      OUTDOOR RESEARCH HELIUM JACKET
      TEST SERIES BY TOM CALLAHAN
      IR
      February 28, 2010

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Outdoor Research
      Year of Manufacture: 2010
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.outdoorresearch.com">>
      MSRP: US$140.00
      Listed Weight: 6.8 oz (193 g) Size Large
      Measured Weight: 7.0 oz (198 g) Size Medium
      Color: Pilsner

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      The Outdoor Research Helium jacket is made with waterproof/breathable 2.5-layer 20D Pertex® Shield DS ripstop fabric. This fabric is smooth to the touch and upon opening the packaging I was immediately struck by how light the jacket felt. The jacket came with two hang tags, one from OR and the other from Pertex.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "OR Helium - Full View" IMAGE CAPTION = "OR Helium - Full View">>
      This jacket has a hood with a reinforced brim and is adjustable with an elastic draw cord and toggle. The jacket cuffs are elastic. The jacket's hem has an elastic drawcord and toggle to seal out wind and snow. There is a chest pocket on the left side which is closed with a water-resistant zipper. The jacket has a water-resistant full front zipper. A curious feature with this zipper is the pull is on the left side. Usually the zipper pulls in men's jackets are always on the right side. So having the zipper pull on the left is not a problem. It jus feels a little different compared to all my other jackets.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "OR Helium - Stuff Pocket" IMAGE CAPTION = "OR Helium - Stuff Pocket">>
      On the inside of the jacket is stuff pocket with a hook and loop closure. The jacket stuffs easily into this pocket and packs down to a very small size.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "OR Helium - Packed in Stuff Pocket" IMAGE CAPTION = "OR Helium - Packed in Stuff Pocket">>
      The color of the jacket (Pilsner) is a darker yellow than the Pilsner jacket pictured on the OR web site, which makes it look more like a canary yellow. The jacket's actual color more closely resembles the small sample color block in the upper right of the web page.

      TRYING IT OUT

      I initially ordered a size medium, which is my typical size for a jacket. My chest is 41 inches (104 cm) so I just exceed the medium size listed in the OR sizing chart. When wearing the jacket with only a t-shirt, the size medium in the OR Helium Jacket was a close fit and snug across the shoulder when I extended my arms. Since this size was just a bit too snug and did not leave me much room to wear a fleece vest or some other layer under the jacket, I will be exchanging the size medium for a size large for field testing.

      Even though the fit was snug, the jacket was very comfortable and the cut of the body and sleeves were in good proportion. The elastic cuffs fit well around my wrists and were not constrictive. The light weight of this garment makes it feel like one is hardly wearing a jacket at all. The jacket was comfortable when zipped all the way up, fitting well around my neck. The hood was also a good fit, and easily adjustable with the elastic drawcord..

      SUMMARY

      The Outdoor Research Helium Jacket is an incredibly light weight garment. And while it does have a light weight, the fabric feels strong and durable. The jacket packs down very small and the stuff pocket is a nice feature which will facilitate cramming it into my backpack. The jacket has other nice extra features including a chest pocket, adjustable hood and adjustable hem. The jacket's Pertex material is described as waterproof and breathable and I am very anxious to see how it performs in this regard. The jacket does not have pit zips so I will be relying heavily on the Pertex to provide sufficient breathability.

      Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.
    • Edward
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 13, 2010
        Tom:

        Two small edits below. Sorry for the delay on the edit. I missed this.

        Usually the zipper pulls in men's jackets are always on the right side. So having the zipper pull on the left is not a problem. It jus feels a little different compared to all my other jackets.

        EDIT: just

        one is hardly wearing a jacket at all.

        EDIT: I am hardly wearing a jacket at all.