[LTR] Jetboil Flash - Greg McDonald

  • gdm320
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 9, 2010
      Hey Heather,

      My LTR for your consideration. Thanks!

      Greg M

      _______

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/LTR%20Jetboil%20Flash%20GM/

      JETBOIL FLASH STOVE
      TEST SERIES BY GREG MCDONALD
      LTR
      February 09, 2010

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      Field Testing Locations and Conditions

      The Jetboil Flash has seen more action as my cooking gear on four trips totaling five nights during the second portion of the testing period. The Flash served on two overnight trips to Myakka River State Park and two trips (one overnight and one multi-night) on the Florida Trail in the Lake Okeechobee region. I also carried the Flash on a colder dayhike on a spur trail around Lake OKeechobee.

      The last two and a half months or so have seen some absolutely wonderful temperatures that have been a welcome relief from the summer heat. I had the opportunity to get out for a handful of nights that saw lows in the 30s F (-1 C) and a few others that enjoyed lows in the mid 40s F (4.5 C). I had to cook in the rain on one occassion with the Flash when I did not have a dining fly on one of my Myakka trips.

      Performance and Observations

      While I'm sure that it makes for a pretty boring final installment to my report, I really don't have a great deal of information to add. The performance of the Flash has been very consistent and up to my satisfaction. I think it's safe to say that as a personal cooking unit, I'm hooked on the Flash.

      Before the Flash, as I've mentioned before, I pretty much exclusively used a SnowPeak GigaPower stove with a titanium SnowPeak cookset (a 1L pot and a small drinking cup). Any hesitation that I had over switching to a single-vessel system has been put to rest over the last several months. It took using a single vessel for a while to realize that the drinking cup wasn't really something I was ever using, and even when I did have the need for one I was able to use the bottom cover as the cup. The biggest advantage: less dishwashing!

      The cozy is something that I have really come to love. It insulates the hot metal from my hands so I can grab it straight off the burner and not have to worry about scorching my hand, then keeps my coffee (or tea or cocoa) nice and hot for a very long time while sitting around the campfire talking with my hiking buddies. The indicator on the side has been very helpful in quickly being able to gauge the temperature of the Flash's contents to avoid any nasty accidental burns.

      Having an integrated ignitor has been a nice feature. I can never seem to find my lighter when it comes time to get dinner rolling and it's been nice not to have to fumble through my pack searching for it. I haven't had any issues with it and have enjoyed first-strike success pretty much everytime I've gone to use it.

      The stabilizer is something that I find myself wishing I'd had all along! It has really been great to have because I can be quite a bit less picky about stomping out my cooking area and the extra security against tipping that it offers. I'm not nearly as nervous with people walking about the cooking area with the enhanced stability when compared to my previous cook systems.

      Even at the lower temperatures I encountered recently I did not notice much of an increase in the boil times. They have hovered consistently at the two minute and ten second mark. At the lowest temperatures I didn't have a problem getting the stove started or running smoothly, although I wasn't running the stove once the temperature dipped down to just below freezing. I also had to cook in the rain at one point when I was huddled underneath my hammock's tarp in camp one evening. The rain didn't seem to effect the Flash's performance at all.

      Regarding the fuel consumption, I'll say that I've been very pleased with it. Although I had hoped to keep a log documenting my fuel consumption, that plan fell by the wayside when I flat out forgot to record my figures for a couple of trips. In my opinion, the Flash is light on the fuel and I'd feel very confident taking it on extended trips without a great deal of extra fuel. For a personal-use stove, it is on par with my expectations.

      The Flash has proven itself to be up to my durability standards. I haven't really had to do any out-of-the-ordinary maintainence, and the cozy is still in like-new condition and the bottom of the 1L vessel is free of any real scorching from the burner itself. I haven't had any scratching or scuffing issues on the inside of the vessel from my lexan spork. The burner also still looks more or less new cosmetically. The only real signs of wear are on the bottom of the pot stabilizer where the plastic has been scuffed up a bit on some rock.

      Final Thoughts

      I really like the Flash, and genuinely feel like Jetboil has an excellent little product here. It has performed very well over the course of my testing period and has earned the cookset spot in my pack for pretty much everything outside of large group hikes. It brings water to a boil very quickly, is compact, light, and very easy to use.

      This concludes my test series on the Jetboil Flash stove. I'd like to thank Jetboil and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to participate in this series!

      Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.
    • Heather
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 13, 2010
        Hi Greg,

        Everything looks fine, nice wrap up. Html is fine. 30's around the Big O? That's practically apocalyptic down there....(I grew up in SW FL btw). A few small edits for you, mainly my spellchecker.

        Thanks!
        `heather

        > I had to cook in the rain on one occassion with the Flash when I did not have a dining fly on one of my Myakka trips.

        Edit: occasion (sp)

        > Having an integrated ignitor has been a nice feature.

        Edit: my spell checker is giving me grief and wants to read: igniter. If JetBoil uses ignitor- then spellcheck can go to hell.

        > The rain didn't seem to effect the Flash's performance at all.

        Edit: 'affect' instead of effect.

        > I haven't really had to do any out-of-the-ordinary maintainence,

        Edit: spelling 'maintenance'
      • gdm320
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 25, 2010
          With apologies, did nobody see my delete request for my existing report on the Jetboil Flash? I'm guessing it might not have gone through.

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Stoves/JetBoil%20Flash%20Stove/Test%20Report%20by%20Greg%20McDonald/
        • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 25, 2010
            ¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·-> Poof! <-·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸

            Sorry... missed it the first time.

            Thanks for the link...

            Jet

          • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1 6:35 AM
              Gerg... Did I miss your Long Term Report on the Hennessy Hammock Cat
              Cape?

              Please let me know.

              Best,

              James E. Triplett
              Hennessy Hammock Cat Cape Monitor

            • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 7 7:45 AM
                Greg - I'm still looking for this report. Anything I can help with?

                Regards,

                James E. Triplett
                Hennessy Hammock Cat Cape Monitor

                jetriple@...
                Sent by: backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com
                04/01/2010 08:35 AM
                Please respond to
                backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com

                backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com
                cc

                Subject
                [backpackgeartesters] Greg McDonald / Hennessy Hammock Cat Cape