LTR - Princeton Tec Fuel headlamp - Carol

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2010
      Hello,
      Here is the Fuel LTR, html here:
      http://snipurl.com/u9bnr

      Carol

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      January 3 - 6 <b>Grand Canyon, Hermit to Bright Angel</b>
      Elevation 6860 - 3000 ft (2090 - 910 m)
      The temperature varied from 56 to 27 F (13 to -3 C) with mostly clear and still, days and nights.
      This was a hike on three trails that almost form a loop. It began downhill on a steep rocky, snow covered trail (Hermit); followed by an undulating dirt trail (Tonto); and culminating in a steep uphill trek on packed snow (Bright Angel).

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      I used the Fuel in the Grand Canyon on a four-day winter backpack trip for about 6 hours total in the evenings plus 1 hour one morning. I kept it on low except for a few minutes when I searched for a noise source one night (it turned out to be a mouse munching on my foil pot cover).

      The total number of hours I used the Fuel over this four-month test period was 11.5 hours on low, 0 hours on medium, and 0.5 hours on high. The light does appear to be less bright on low now, but there is still plenty of illumination for my camping chores. As I mentioned in the Field Report, the Fuel was initially quite bright on low so that I had to make sure I didn't blind my camp mates with it.

      I continue to have trouble finding the on/off switch by feel when I'm wearing thin gloves. There are ridges on the non-switch side of the Fuel that I find by feel then press to try to turn on the light. The ridges on the switch are much closer together and I shouldn't confuse the two but I do. It would be easier for me to turn on this light if the ridges on the back were removed and the ones on the switch were raised more.

      SUMMARY

      Overall I like the Fuel headlamp. It is fairly lightweight and provides plenty of light on low for camp chores and bright enough light on high to trail hike at night.

      <b>What I like:</b>
      - Comfortable to wear on my head
      - Good angle for night hiking
      - Plenty of light on low for camp chores

      <b>What I don't like:</b>
      - It takes two hands to angle the light
      - The low ridges on the on/off switch are hard to find with gloves on

      CONTINUED USE

      I expect to take the Fuel along on most of my future backpacking trips.

      Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.
    • a_henrichs
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3, 2010
        Hi Carol,

        Great report! I have no edits for you. Feel free to upload when you are ready. Also, please be sure to delete your test html file. Thanks for a great test series!

        Andy