IR- Tifosi Optics- Will Rice

  • dalenmoney
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2010
      http://tinyurl.com/ydq8ztz

      there she is (my report being feminine, of course).

      Will

      TIFOSI BACKCOUNTRY ORANGE FOTOTEC
      TEST SERIES BY WILL RICE
      FIELD REPORT

      INITIAL REPORT - November 23, 2009
      FIELD REPORT - February 02, 2010

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Will Rice
      EMAIL: will.dalen at gmail.com
      AGE: 28
      LOCATION: Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 7" (1.70 m)
      WEIGHT: 150 lb (68.00 kg)

      I began backpacking at the age of 13 when I first went to summer camp (1993). In 1999, I started working with a college tripping organization in outdoor trip logistics (in gear preparation), and then as a leader. My most frequented hiking locations are in the Carolina Appalachians and the Smoky Mountains during the cold early spring and the summer. I stopped being a trip leader in 2004, and now I average about 4 backpacking trips and 4 day hikes per year. I carry between 25 and 35 lbs (11.3-15.8 kg) on multi-day trips.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Tifosi
      Year of Manufacture: 2009
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.tifosioptics.com
      MSRP: US$ 59.95
      Listed Weight (frames with lenses): 1 oz (26 g)
      Measured Weight: less than 1.8 oz (50 g)
      Measured Weight (with case): 3.5 oz (100 g)
      Claimed time to change from light to dark shades: 12 seconds
      Light Transmission: 45-15%
      UVA/ UVB Blocking: 100%
      Model: Dolomite
      Color: Magnesium
      Style: T-V390

      Wearing Them

      Seeing through them

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      When I first got these glasses and took them out of the packaging, I was impressed at how they looked. They are very stylish and lightweight. The orange color seems to enhance my vision without giving me a headache from brightness. I did originally expect that the frames would be metallic. The frames are instead plastic, which makes them light enough that I forget that I am wearing them. I am concerned about their ability to withstand a fall onto conrete or any kind of impact my face might otherwise experience. The legs of the glasses are secured by a screw and typical sunglass hinge. The lenses have vented holes in the outer top and outer bottom locations. The legs of the sunglasses also have cutouts that reduce the weight and increase ventilation. The parts touching the ears and the bridge of the nose have rubber padding for better comfort and fit.

      TRYING IT OUT

      I have worn them on a couple specific occasions I want to talk about. First, I wore them out to a wooded area I was doing my thesis research in. The glasses aided in my seeing, even in shadier areas. They also protected my eyes from tree branches that I apparently walked right into without seeing. I eventually forgot I was even wearing them. They are very comfortable. The second occasion I wore them for was a rainy/misty evening run. It was late afternoon when I started but then it transitioned to pretty much night time. The glasses still worked well to keep rain and mist out of my eyes while not impairing my vision in the darkness.

      SUMMARY

      I am excited to test these glasses. I usually go for a darker shade of glasses to keep light out. These glasses seem like more of a usable tool in my conditions, so it will be interesting for me to see if they perform well enough to change my sunglass preference.

      Likes:
      - Lightweight
      - Fantastic looks
      - The tinting works well in all light conditions

      Dislikes:
      - Not sure if I can replace the lenses or not.

      FIELD REPORT

      CONDITIONS AND PERFORMANCE

      Me, in the sun

      I.
      Date: 12/24/2009
      Location: Charlotte, NC
      Activity: Running, cross-training

      Performance:
      I started out wearing these glasses to go running in. They stay in place well and were very light feeling on my face. I also did some pushups, jumping, stairs, and squats interspersed with the running. The glasses still did not move. The comfort aspect of the glasses is great. However, the color has been something new for me that I have had to get used to. Sometimes I just want less light to reach my eyes. These glasses, while they do in some cases make it easier to see, they also make everything appear orange. I have had trouble with contrast when the orange mixes with darker, grey-blue colors. The rest of the time though, everything does seem to stand out a little better, especially in shady areas on sunny days. I also wore the glasses on a different occasion right around dusk. I was able to keep the glasses on and still run in a darker setting.

      II.
      Date: 12/28/2009
      Location: Kings Mountain, NC
      Weather: sunny, windy (10-15 mph, 16- 24 kph), 49 F (9.4 C)
      Activity: Hiking to top of mountain (1000 ft/ 304 m elevation gain), 3.4 miles (5.5 km) roundtrip

      Performance:
      These glasses continue to surprise me with their comfort and how lightweight they are. They also didn't fog up when I was breathing hard and pushing up some steep hills. It was pretty windy on this day and the glasses helped to block some of that wind.

      III.
      Date: 1/1-1/3/2010
      Location: Gatlinburg, TN
      Weather: Overcast to sunny, windy (10-15 mph, 16- 24 kph), 30-40 F (-1-4.4)
      Activity: Snowboarding (1500-2500 ft/ 457-762 m)

      It was super cold

      Performance:
      I wore these as my primary eye protection while snowboarding. I also was wearing a ski mask to cover my mouth/nose and the rest of my face. As a result, the glasses fogged up a lot when I was not moving (i.e. lift line, riding the lift). When I was going downhill though, they stayed free of fog. This was possibly due to the wind that was coming through the cutouts on the sides of the lenses (at 5-20 mph/ 8-32 kph). As far as the lighting on a ski slope goes, the glasses seem to work well in both bright, snow-blinding conditions as well as lower light conditions towards the end of the day. However, due to the amount of wind that comes into these glasses at high speeds, I won't likely wear them as my primary snowboarding eye protection again.

      IV.
      Date: 1/9/2010
      Location: Latta Plantation, Charlotte, NC
      Weather: Cold and sunny, 16-37 F (-8-2.7 C), windy (8 mph, 12.8 kph), 48% humidity
      Activity: Orienteering (off-trail running for 3 hours, hiking for 1.5 hours)

      Performance:
      The lenses seemed to fog up more on this day. I tried cleaning them with my soft long-underwear, but that didn't fix the problem completely. The place these glasses performed really well on this day was in serving as eye protection. With running through underbrush being part of the activity, there were many branches that would have otherwise got me in the eye. The Tifosi's did a good job of diverting branches, briars, and whatever else brushed across my face. Even in doing this, they still have not shown any real signs of wear and tear. They look as good as the day I got them.

      V.
      Date: 1/30/2010
      Location: Charlotte, NC
      Weather: Snow, Overcast
      Activity: Cross-Country Skiing

      Performance:
      A peculiar thing happened when I took these glasses out to cross-country ski with me. The lenses didn't seem to get darker enough in overcast conditions. Since there was snow covering the ground, it was very white outside, and the glasses made all the snow seem brighter. The glasses also fogged a bunch when I began to ski. So, I put them on my head. They stayed in place through the day, with me falling here and there and occasionally crashing on down hill parts. I didn't even remember they were there until we were taking off our skis and I reached up and found them.

      VI.
      Other Testing

      I was skeptical about the lenses changing darkness. You can see different levels of dark in the pictures, but also I stood in the sun and had a friend of mine bring me the glasses from the shade. As I watched the lenses, they indeed became darker in the sunlight.

      DURABILITY

      I have dropped the glasses a few times on varying ground materials (gravel, dusty ground, carpet, snow). They have not acquired any scratches or nicks yet. They look new still. All the rubber, padded components are also in good condition. The hinges work fine. Their appears to be zero wear-and-tear on the glasses despite my wearing them pretty much everyday the sun is out.

      SUMMARY

      Close Up

      I have worn these glasses in all of the outdoor activities and fitness activities I do. They feel very light and have shown good durability. They started out pretty good in terms of not fogging, but lately they have been fogging more. Also, in doing activities that involve high speeds, they let lots of air in through the vents. In the winter time, this is not preferable for me.

      Likes
      -light
      -durable
      -fits well and comfortable

      Dislikes
      -the way the orange contrasts with muted blue colors
      -vents let in too much cold air at high speeds
      -fogging a lot lately
    • Kathy Waters
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2010
        Well, thanks a lot, Will. You just caused me to get totally confused - I think you mean this is your FR, no? <g>

        Please only post the new section when you are posting FRs and LTRs. No need to have your IR report here.

        Thanks,

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 7, 2010
          ummm....errrr....in the hebrew alphabet I is actually F, and I once went to school with a kid who was jewish. maybe.

          sorry about that.

          do you want me to repost, or is it good enough to admit my mistake?

          Will

          > Well, thanks a lot, Will. You just caused me to get totally confused - I think you mean this is your FR, no? <g>
          >
          > Please only post the new section when you are posting FRs and LTRs. No need to have your IR report here.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Kathy

        • tcallahanbgt
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 7, 2010
            Will,
            Nice write up. Here are your edits. Please look them over and post when ready.

            A few of the edits involve the way numbers are written. While I knew what you meant, the suggested edits will make it a little easier and clearer to understand for the reader. There are also some edits that round off numbers that have been converted to metric. Here's a link that gives a good description of this.
            http://www.holliseaster.com/BGT/InterimGuide.htm#StyleConversions

            There are also edits for metric units. Here's a helpful link that I book marked some time ago to help me out when writing reports.
            http://lamar.colostate.edu/~hillger/correct.htm

            > FIELD REPORT
            > CONDITIONS AND PERFORMANCE
            >
            >Edit: Though not required, it is recommended that you include a statement that summarizes the days of use. Something along the lines of,
            "During Field Testing I used the sunglasses for a total XX days, of this XX days were hiking/backpacking, XX days were snowboarding, XX days were running, etc.
            See this link for recommended guidance,
            http://www.holliseaster.com/BGT/InterimGuide.htm#StyleDaysOfUse

            > Weather: sunny, windy (10-15 mph, 16- 24 kph), 49 F (9.4 C)
            EDIT: Change 16- 24 kph to 16 to 24 km/h
            Edit: Change (9.4 C) to (9 C)

            > Activity: Hiking to top of mountain (1000 ft/ 304 m elevation gain), 3.4 miles (5.5 km) roundtrip
            Edit: Change 304 m to 300 m

            > Weather: Overcast to sunny, windy (10-15 mph, 16- 24 kph), 30-40 F (-1-4.4)
            Edit: Change 16-24 kph to 16 to 24 km/h
            Edit: Change (-1-4.4) to (-1 to 4 C)

            > Activity: Snowboarding (1500-2500 ft/ 457-762 m)
            Edit: Change 457-762 m to 500-800 m

            > Weather: Cold and sunny, 16-37 F (-8-2.7 C), windy (8 mph, 12.8 kph), 48% humidity
            Edit: (-8-2.7 C) to (-8 to 3 C)
            EDIT: 12.8 kph to 13 km/h
          • Kathy Waters
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 7, 2010
              You're good! I was only razzing (and reminding) you.