Re: MOD EDIT: [backpackgeartesters] LTR - Tilley Audubon Hat - Daignault

  • Mark McLauchlin
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2 5:11 PM
      Thanks Kathy,

      Missed that one,

      While you are there, what are your thoughts on the use of [!] I have not seen, or are able to find any reference to the use of an exclamation mark within square brackets in isolation. I understand that in the US you use square brackets on occasion rather than the rounded open/close that we use here in Aus, however I would have still expected to see something like [wow!] or what ever.

      Cheers

      Mark
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2 5:24 PM
        OK, I had to go to Google for this, but it appears the use of square brackets is only used within quotations and is used when the writer needs to interrupt the quotation with his/her own brief clarification.

        So, technically, speaking, square brackets should not be used as they were in this report. HOWEVER, if this is a regional or style thing, I'd let it go as the meaning is clear - except, perhaps the "[!]" instance where it may confuse the reader (as it did you, Mark <g>).

        ---------------------------------------

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2 5:33 PM
          Thanks for the clarification Kathy,

          Chari, can you please advise if this is a regional thing, if not please ammend/remove.

          Regards

          Mark
          OK, I had to go to Google for this, but it appears the use of square brackets is only used within quotations and is used when the writer needs to interrupt the quotation with his/her own brief clarification.

          So, technically, speaking, square brackets should not be used as they were in this report. HOWEVER, if this is a regional or style thing, I'd let it go as the meaning is clear - except, perhaps the "[!]" instance where it may confuse the reader (as it did you, Mark <g>).

          While you are there, what are your thoughts on the use of [!] I have not seen, or are able to find any reference to the use of an exclamation mark within square brackets in isolation. I understand that in the US you use square brackets on occasion rather than the rounded open/close that we use here in Aus, however I would have still expected to see something like [wow!] or what ever.

          Cheers

          Mark

          So long as this is gramatically correct then I am fine, I have not been able to find a reference to that as being valid,

          Regards

          Mark

          It's intended to show the surprise of the writer at the existence of snow and sleet in Orlando, FL.

          ---------------------------------------
          Chari Daignault
          chari.daignault@...

          "Not all who wander are lost"
          "If idiots could fly, we'd never see the sun"

          On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Mark McLauchlin < mark@... > wrote:

          Hello Chari,

          One clarification then you are good to upload.

          COMMENT: and sleet [!]
          >>what does this mean? I have not seen an exclamation mark inside square brackets before.

          Regards

          Mark

          --

          Follow me on my lightweight hikers blog
          Hi

          Follow me on my lightweight hikers blog

          Follow me on my lightweight hikers blog

        • cdaignault
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 3 4:36 AM
            When I write, I usually do not use parenthesis, but instead use square brackets; it's an aesthetic thing -- I like the way it looks, and it still gets the point across. With regard to using the exclamation point within parenthesis or brackets; it's a style thing usually found within posts on blogs and such.

            Since it's highly possible that many folks, who even though they are Internet-savvy, may not be familiar with blog-ese, I will remove it. :)

            Thanks!

            -- Chari

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3 4:46 AM
              Thanks, Kathy -- I've made the edit; it was indeed supposed to have "my" in there. I giggled at your use of (?), by the way. :)

              I have 4 Tilley hats and love all of them. Every hiker/backpacker should have at least one in my opinion.

              With regard to Orlando's awful weather this winter... I'm ready for the sun to shine and the heat to commence. HA! I will not complain ever again about the heat and humidity here.

              -- Chari