FR Terra Nova Laser Elite 20L Backpack David Heyting

  • deheyting
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2010
      Here is my Field Report for the Terra Nova Laser Elite 20L pack.

      Thanks in advance for the edits!

      David H.

      HTML:

      http://tinyurl.com/yzvjzpy

      or

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/FR%20-Terra%20Nova%20Laser%20Elite%2020L%20-%20David%20Heyting/

      Word:

      Field Report:

      Test Conditions:
      During the Field Testing period, I was able to get out on 11 different trips with the Laser Elite backpack. All of these tests occurred in the Central Cascades, on the I-90 corridor. I did multiple trips on my local peaks: Mt. Si (4,167 ft, 1270 m) Rattlesnake Mt.(3,547 ft, 1081 m ), Tiger MMt.3,004 ft, 916 m), Squak Mt. 2,024 ft, 617 m) and Cougar MtMt.1,595 ft, 486 m). Trip length ranged from 5 miles round trip to 13 miles (8 to 20 km) round trip. Many of the trips were done in the dark either in the evening or very early in the morning. Two of my trips included some light rain.

      Test Results:
      The Laser Elite 20L overall is a nice speed pack. Meaning a great lightweight pack that is good for shorter trips with minimal gear. As with any frameless pack, I made sure to load the pack so that something soft – for me it was typically my rain shell – was placed on the side of the pack that is adjacent to my back. Since the pack does not have any sort of internal frame, failure to do this can lead to a painful trip. I actually found that I only had to stop and adjust the packs contents a couple of times during my trips, in order to rearrange the contents so that things weren't protruding into my back. The shoulder straps proved to be comfortable and easy to tighten down to create a more snug fit.

      I did find the pack to be too short for my body. During periods of increased speed and motion, I found that the waist belt would ride up towards my belly button. Which I found to be quite annoying. For most of my trips I simply did not use the waist belt at all. I would strap the buckle and just let it dangle behind my back. I found this to be much more comfortable for me than having he waist belt around my stomach. This meant that I did not thoroughly test the hip pockets as I was not using the waist belt. I would say that based on my testing of stuffing the hip-belt pockets with items and food, the pockets could be a little bit bigger as even fitting in a Cliff Bar takes up the entire space. Due to the fact that I was not using the waist belt, the pack did seem to move around a bit more than with the hip-belt in use. Thus I actually added a chest strap and found that by doing this the pack rode quite nicely even without using the waist belt. At six feet tall, I do not consider myself to be super tall, so the fact that the waist-belt did not work was a little be frustrating.

      The access to the pack through the main compartment was easy and convenient. I really like the Velcro closure on the top of the pack. I found it was easy to open and I liked how it closed securely. Thus I did not have to worry about anything falling out of the pack when taking the pack on and off or in case of a stumble. The roll down top is a nice feature to keep the pack extra sung, however I found that even without using the system the pack seemed to have a nice ride. Thus the roll down feature seemed to be a little bit on the overkill side of things. The two side pockets worked out for me as the perfect place to stuff my water bottles.

      Two of my trips featured rain during this trips I was happy to see that I took a while for the pack to completely soak through. The pack is not waterproof, but at least it could fend off a mild mist or drizzle.

      Items for Continued Testing:
      I am hoping to get in a short adventure race in with this pack. Adventure racing is listed as one of the activities that the pack is designed for. I usually compete in several each year and one does conincide with the testing period, so baring anything unforseen I am hoping to put the Laser Elite to the test in a race. I also want to try some trail running to see how well the pack performed at higher speeds, as on all of my trips I stuck with hiking. I will still try the waist belt a few more times to confirm my position that the waist belt just does not work for me.

      Field Likes and Dislikes:

      Likes: The pack is super light and still comfortable

      Dislikes: The waistbelt conintually hitting my belly button rather than my waist.

      Please check back in two months for my Long-Term-Report. Thank you to Terra Nova and BackpackGearTest for the chance to conduct this test!
    • cdaignault
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2010
        Hi David,

        HTML looks good -- would have liked some photos, but they're not required. :)

        Here are your edits:

        "Tiger MMt.3,004 ft, 916m), Squak Mt. 2,024 ft, 617 m) and Cougar MtMt.1,595 ft, 486 m)."
        EDIT: Tiger and Cougar I believe should both be "Mt.", not "MMt." and "MtMt." respectively.

        "I actually found that I only had to stop and adjust the packs contents a couple of times during my trips, in order to rearrange the contents so that things weren't protruding into my back."
        EDIT: "pack's contents" -- please add the possessive apostrophe.

        "Two of my trips featured rain during this trips I was happy to see that I took a while for the pack to completely soak through."
        EDIT: Please add a period between "rain" and "during". Change "this trips" to "these trips". And change "I" to "it" as in "happy to see that *it* took a while".

        "Dislikes: The waistbelt conintually hitting my belly button rather than my waist."
        EDIT: spelling -- "continually".

        Please upload when done and delete your file from the TESTS folder. Thanks so much!

        -- Chari