LTR - Tilley Audubon Hat - Daignault

  • cdaignault
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2010
      I'm obviously still not quite OOP yet, and I was able to finish this up. Thanks in advance for the edits -- and thank you for the much needed extension.

      HTML version: http://tinyurl.com/ycprvq7

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      I've continued to wear the Tilley Audubon Hat during several day hikes and around town. Our day hikes are in the Hal Scott Regional Preserve right outside my community. The weather during the past two months has been sunny and only slightly humid with daytime temps ranging from over 80 F [26.7 C] down to 24 F [-4.4 C]. Current temps are still a bit below normal, averaging at around 65 F [18.3 C]. There has been some wind, a few severe storms, some snow and sleet [!] and occasional fog in the mornings.

      I also took the Audubon Hat along with us on a week-long trip to Firestone, Colorado over the winter holidays. Although we didn't get to do the hiking I had hoped we would, I was able to test packing the hat in my suitcase to see how well the hat would travel. I was also able to see how the hat performed in cold weather [I realize the Audubon is made for warm weather]. The weather in the Denver area was blustery and snowy the day we arrived, with temps around 19 F [-7.2 C]. The rest of the time we were there, it was clear and dry with lows around 12 F [-11 C] and highs around 32 F [0 C]. The area we stayed at in Firestone is at an altitude of about 5670 ft [1728 m].

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      The Tilley Audubon Hat continues to be extremely comfortable and well-fitting. This is especially true in warmer climates where the heat from head is vented easily through the mesh on the crown. Still, during the time I wore the hat in cold Colorado, it performed quite well. I didn't expect it to keep my head very warm, but in fact it kept it warm enough that I felt comfortable while walking around town. It also kept the sun off my face, although glare from snow on the ground still reflected up.

      For our trip to Colorado, I packed the Audubon hat in my suitcase and just smashed it in where it would fit. When we landed in Colorado and arrived at our destination, I unpacked the hat and gave it a good shake. The hat sort of popped right out and with a few tugs on the brim, it was ready to wear.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Snow!" IMAGE CAPTION = "Snow!">>

      Back home in Florida while on a bicycle ride one extremely windy day, I wore the Audubon hat without thinking. It blew off of course. So, I used the wind straps behind my head and under my chin. After that, the hat stayed on with no problems and we had an enjoyable ride in spite of the wind. Even with the wind straps, the hat was still comfortable and kept its shape. Granted, wearing the hat with the wind straps deployed doesn't look nearly as nice as it does with them hidden in the crown of the hat, but at least it stays on.

      SUMMARY

      Overall, I've been extremely happy with the Tilley Audubon Hat. It continues to be comfortable, has shown no wear or tear and looks very stylish no matter what I wear it with.

      Likes:
      Lightweight
      Floats
      Ventilated
      Fedora-inspired
      Comfortable
      Machine-washable
      Keeps shape

      Dislikes:
      None

      This concludes my Long Term Report. Thanks to BackpackGearTest.org and Tilley Endurables for allowing me to test this great hat!
    • Mark McLauchlin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 29, 2010
        Hello Chari,

        One clarification then you are good to upload.

        COMMENT: and sleet [!]
        >>what does this mean? I have not seen an exclamation mark inside square
        brackets before.

        Regards

        Mark

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2010
          Hi Mark,

          It's intended to show the surprise of the writer at the existence of snow
          and sleet in Orlando, FL.

          ---------------------------------------
          Chari Daignault
          chari.daignault@...

          "Not all who wander are lost"
          "If idiots could fly, we'd never see the sun"

          On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Mark McLauchlin
          <mark@...>wrote:

          > Hello Chari,
          >

          > One clarification then you are good to upload.
          >

          > COMMENT: and sleet [!]
          > >>what does this mean? I have not seen an exclamation mark inside square
          > brackets before.
          >
          > Regards
          >
          > Mark

        • Mark McLauchlin
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2010
            Hi,

            So long as this is gramatically correct then I am fine, I have not been able to find a reference to that as being valid,

            --

            Follow me on my lightweight hikers blog
            Hi