FR- Hennessy Hammocks Deep Jungle - Thomas Vickers

  • Red Roach
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 20, 2010
      html here
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/FRHHDJ-TV/

      Field test Report
      January 20, 2010
      Locations: Sam Houston National Forest Other Areas in Southeast Texas
      Conditions:
      Winds: 0 - 25 mph (0 - 40 kph)
      Precipitation: light to heavy rain
      Temperatures (night): 19 F - 35 F (-7 C to 1 C)
      6 night's usage
      Let's start with the not so good:
      I have decided to start with the things that made me less than happy
      with this hammock during the field test stage of my experience. The
      first and foremost thing is the reflective bubble pad. I like the pad
      and how it works and the workmanship is great. The problem I have with
      it has to do with how to carry it. For the first part of my report I
      carried it strapped to the top of my pack, which kept it out of the
      way, but it snagged here and there on branches. There was no damage to
      the pad, but I do feel it is only a matter of time before something
      bad happens to it.
      The other approach I considered was to put it inside my pack and let
      it form a hollow tube that I could stuff my gear inside of. After
      starting to pack my pack this way, I changed my mind. I was worried
      that the bubbles would get smashed/popped and the pad would lose some
      of its insulating ability. So out came the pad and it was then rolled
      up and put back on the top of my pack. I do have an answer for the
      problem and it is as simple as a stuff sack. If I had a stuff sack to
      put the bubble pad in, then I would not worry so much about lashing it
      on top of my pack. Now the only issue is how to find a stuff sack that
      fits.
      My other issue is with the tie out lines for the hammock and the fly.
      Despite using Hennessy hammocks for years and knowing very well that
      those lines are going to be there, I still trip over them in the dark.
      If there is a Hennessy hammock hanging, I am going to be stumbling
      over the guy lines. What I would love to see is these cords having
      some sort of reflective property. If they would glow/shine a bit when
      hit with my headlamp I am pretty sure that my stumbling over hammock
      guy lines would be a thing of the past.
      The better:
      I have quite a bit of experience with Hennessy Hammocks and one thing
      I like about them is that they are easy to put up. Wrap the tree
      huggers around the tree, lash the hammock cords through the tree
      huggers and it is done. Even if I have to adjust the hang of the
      hammock, unlashing and relashing takes only a couple of minutes at
      most. After spending one evening in the hammock trying to keep warm
      while it rained and misted, I was very amazed the next morning when I
      was breaking camp to find that the hammock suspension lines did not
      feel or appear to be soaked. There was moisture on the, but despite
      the rain all night it did not appear that the lines were soaked. Just
      as nice was the fact that no water ran down the suspension lines to
      get the hammock itself wet.
      Using the pad: The winter here in Texas has been rather intense. I was
      surprised when I checked my notes and realized that of my six nights
      in the hammock, five of them were below freezing. From past experience
      I know very well that I could not have stayed in the hammock without
      some sort of insulation.
      The bubble pad for the Deep Jungle Hammock has never been a problem
      for me to use. I insert the large end into the double bottom of the
      hammock and pull it ward the top. Then I snap the hooks on the pad
      into the hammock and everything stays in place.
      The narrow end needs to be unfolded and held down a bit since it stays
      rolled up most of the time, but with my feet on it I quickly found out
      that the small end was not going to roll up on me.
      I found that it made sleeping in the hammock bearable. This is not a
      comment on the quality or performance of the hammock, but just a fact
      about sleeping outside when it is 19 F (-7 C) at night. There are
      probably ways to keep warmer, but the combination of my sleeping
      system and the reflective bubble pad made it possible for me to sleep
      most of the night when the temperatures dropped below 32 F (1 C). For
      that matter it allowed me sleep okay when the temperatures were above
      32 F (1 C) as well.
      My main comment about sleeping on the pad is that I had to lie on my
      side (not a problem) and make sure I was situated diagonally in the
      hammock. I think that is supposed to be the proper way of sleeping in
      a Hennessey hammock, but in the cold it was necessary to be aligned
      just right or I did not get the benefit of the pad. In most situations
      I found that my elbows tended to miss the pad and poke the sides of
      the hammocks. This resulted in very cold elbows and a need to
      readjust.
      The only time the pad or being aligned on it properly was an issue was
      when I was lying on my back. This is how I usually read at night in my
      hammock and there were always issues with elbows or shoulders missing
      the pad and creating a cold spot.
      Overall, I was happy with the way the pad performed. For the weight
      and design it encompasses, it is a decent way to keep warm in a
      hammock. While there are ways to keep warmer they all involve carrying
      more weight and add an extra level of complication to setting up a
      hammock.
      Hanging in the woods:
      I have always been intrigued by the doubled bottomed hammock concept.
      Besides providing a place to attach the reflective bubble pad, the
      double bottom also allows me to stuff little things into a convienent
      hiding spot. Items such as stuff sacks, clothes, and anything else
      that is soft is easily stashed under the hammock and kept close. Ever
      wanted to wake up to a warm pair of socks? Stash them in the double
      bottom of the Hennessy Deep Jungle hammock and sleep on them. It may
      seem like a small perk, but it is one thing that I really like about
      this hammock.
      Another issue that confronted me the first couple of times in this
      hammock was the side zipper. I love this way of entering and exiting a
      hammock, but I learned the hard way that I needed to make sure the
      zipper pull was located near within arms length before I took my boots
      off sat in the hammock. It is no fun to have to get back out of the
      hammock, pull the zipper pull closer, then get back in while trying to
      keep my socks dry.
      I have been out in more drastic weather than I can claim to really
      relish over the past two months. Rain and cold have made being
      outdoors and sleeping outdoors miserable for m me. The good news is
      that despite the weather I have at least been getting some decent
      night's sleep. The Deep Jungle is comfortable and secure no matter
      what the conditions are outside. I did have one little issue with
      condensation building up on the underside of the rain fly, but it was
      so cold out that it froze and formed a thin layer that was easily
      removed by wiping or jiggling the fly. For Texas, that is pretty
      darned cold. The best news is that I slept despite the cold and I
      slept pretty well.
      Other things:
      One thing I have not put to any use yet are the snake skins. I know
      how to use them and actually prefer to use them, but it has been COLD
      when I get to my campsite to hang the hammock. My first concern has
      been to get the Deep Jungle up, get in it, and get warm.
      The snake skins never cross my mind until I am taking the hammock down
      and trying to figure out why I am putting it back in the stuff sack.
      This is an issue I am going to try a bit harder to address in my next
      report.
      Final thoughts:
      Over the next two months I am hoping that the weather warms up a bit
      and I can get a lot more nights usage out of the Deep Jungle. I have
      been more than pleased by how well it has performed in what I consider
      extreme weather and I am looking forward to using it in more moderate
      conditions.
      I am also very pleased by the footprint that the Deep jungle has in my
      pack. I have been stuffing it back into the stuff sack that came with
      it and despite being a full sized hammock, it really does not take up
      a lot of room.
      Things I like:
      1. Comfortable
      2. Easy to set up
      3. Packs nice and small
      Things I do not like:
      1. Guy lines need to be reflective
      _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
      There is the right way, the wrong way, and the Jack Bauer way. It's
      basically the right way but faster and more deaths.
    • Coy Boy
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 20, 2010
        I thought I heard Tom say he would send out stuff sacks for the pad but I cant say for sure now. That was over 2 months ago. Anyways, enjoyed reading your review. Like you, I was amazed at how well the bubble pad works. I liked you sock idea. I'll have to do that, of course I had mine on the one cold night but on a trip when I might be changing socks everday. Wonder if wet socks would dry under me? might have to try it when I manage a longer trip.

        Coy Boy
        PS when I went to look at the test folder all I saw was the IR.

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Red Roach <redroach@...> wrote:

        > html here
        > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/FRHHDJ-TV/

      • Bob Sanders
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 23, 2010
          Hi TV,

          The link you provided below takes me to a report that only has the Initial Report information included, no Field Report. Let me know when you re-upload to the test folder and I will take a look.

          Here are your edits. Just a few. You know the drill.

          Bob

          > There was moisture on the, but despite the rain all night it did not appear that the lines were soaked.

          EDIT: Change "the" to them

          > I love this way of entering and exiting a hammock, but I learned the hard way that I needed to make sure the
          > zipper pull was located near within arms length before I took my boots
          > off sat in the hammock.

          EDIT: Please add the word "and" between off and sat so it reads "took my boots off and sat in the hammock."

          > Rain and cold have made being
          > outdoors and sleeping outdoors miserable for m me.

          EDIT: Remove "m"
        • Bob Sanders
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 23, 2010
            OPPS forgot to put EDIT in the subject line.

            Hi TV,

            The link you provided below takes me to a report that only has the Initial Report information included, no Field Report. Let me know when you re-upload to the test folder and I will take a look.

            Here are your edits. Just a few. You know the drill.

            Bob

            > There was moisture on the, but despite the rain all night it did not appear that the lines were soaked.

            EDIT: Change "the" to them

            > I love this way of entering and exiting a hammock, but I learned the hard way that I needed to make sure the
            > zipper pull was located near within arms length before I took my boots
            > off sat in the hammock.

            EDIT: Please add the word "and" between off and sat so it reads "took my boots off and sat in the hammock."

            > Rain and cold have made being
            > outdoors and sleeping outdoors miserable for m me.

            EDIT: Remove "m"
          • Thomas Vickers
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 1, 2010
              BOb
              I forgot the edits on this and not sure why the correct one was not in
              the test folder.
              I am going to put it up on the real folder and let me know if the html
              looks wierd and I will fix it from there to make sure this series is
              back on track.

              TV