IR: All Terrain WinterSport Skin Protectant / Suncreen - Paul Schilke

  • swhiker@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 16, 2010
      ALL TERRAIN COMPANY WINTERSPORT SKIN PROTECTANT / SUN SCREEN
      TEST SERIES BY PAUL SCHILKE
      IR
      January 15, 2010

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Paul Schilke
      EMAIL: paul schilke (at) msn (dot) com
      AGE: 36
      LOCATION: Mogollon Rim, Arizona, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 8" (1.73 m)
      WEIGHT: 165 lb (74.80 kg)
      BOOT SIZE, MENS: US 9.5 (E.U. 42.5)
      SHOE SIZE, MENS: US 9 (E.U. 42)

      I have been a genuine backpacker since 2002 and enjoy lightweight camping. Nowadays, I prefer using water filters to chemical treatments. I have camped under a tarp, but have also spent several sleep-deprived nights buzz-bombed by rodents at popular backcountry campsites. Although I have spent up to 7 months backpacking, I am lucky to get out for 3 to 5 days. I have almost no use of my left arm. I snowshoe and cross-country ski in the winter. My wife and I have a two-year old daughter who enjoys hiking and camping with us.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: All Terrain Company
      Year of Manufacture: 2009
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.allterrainco.com" LINK TEXT = "http://www.allterrainco.com">>
      MSRP: US $12.99

      Listed Volume: 3 oz (90 ml)
      Listed Weight: N/A
      Measured Weight: 3.7 oz (105 g)

      Other details:

      Active Ingredients:
      1% Dimethicone - Skin Protectant
      7.2% Octinate - Sunscreen
      6% Oxybenzone - Sunscreen
      3.5% Titanium Dioxide
      3% Zinc Oxide (Z-Cote®) - Sunscreen

      Inactive Ingredients:
      Aloe Vera Gel, Bladderwrack Extract, Borage Seed Oil, Calendula Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cetyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-21, Cucumber Extract, d-alpha Tocopherol, Glycerin, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Jojoba Pol, Lavender Oil, Lecithin, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Sea Kelp Extract, Water, Xanthan Gum.

      Front Side of Packaging
      Paraben Free, Water / Sweat Resistant, Skin Protectant / Sun Screen with SPF 30, UVA / UVB Protectant, Helps Prevent Chafed, Chapped or Cracked Skin

      Backside of Packaging - drug facts
      Uses: Temporarily protects chapped skin; helps protect from the drying effects of the sun, wind and cold weather; helps prevent sunburn, higher SPF (sun protection factor) gives more sunburn protection, retains SPF after 40 minutes of activity

      Warnings: For external use only, keep out of eyes - rinse with water to remove, stop use and ask a doctor if irritation or rash develops and lasts, keep out of reach of children - if swallowed get medical help or call poison control center right away.

      Directions: Apply liberally 20 to 30 minutes before sun exposure and as needed - children under 6 months: ask a doctor.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1">> <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2">>

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      The first thing I noticed about the packaging was that it was not sealed. That is not a big issue, however, I cannot remember the last time that I purchased a sunscreen without a seal.

      Also mentioned on the packaging: the brand name of the zinc oxide sunscreen, company contact info and the parent company, Rosement Ventures. A brief web search indicates that Rosemount Ventures is also the parent company of Neostrata, another producer of skin care products. That was somewhat surprising because my first impression of the All Terrain Website left me with the impression that the All Terrain Company is a small "mom and pop shop".

      The website gives a lot of good information about products which I might be interested to purchase. However, I would be more likely to buy some of these things at the last minute on my way to the trailhead than to order them from the website.

      There is a lot of information listed on the tiny tube. The WinterSport Skin Protectant / Sunscreen contains a lot of interesting inactive ingredients which one might purchase for skin care on their own from a homeopathic apothecary, herbalist or natural foods store . For example, calendula is the primary ingredient in one of my baby's diaper creams.

      According to the packaging this product both prevents and protects chapped hands, which is a useful dual purpose use.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      My first thought when reading the packaging was to duration of desired effects. The product will last for 40 minutes of activity. To achieve maximum results, I should apply the WinterSport Skin Protectant / Sun Screen 20 to 30 minutes before I go begin my winter activity. In an average situation, I might not remember to put the product on that far in advance of my activity. I might skip the pre-activity wait, thinking that a little bit of unprotected time in the sun and wind is good for the soul.

      TRYING IT OUT

      The WinterSport Skin Protectant / Sunscreen smells like licorice. My wife claims that I smell the lavender. My skin was somewhat dry before I put the product on and the product was rapidly absorbed. My hands and face feel moisturized and not greasy. To make this product stretch farther, if that interests you, it might be a good idea to put moisturizer on before putting this product on.

      SUMMARY

      I like the product at first touch. It made my hands and face feel good and my nose happy and stimulated. If I were purchasing this in a store, I might think twice about buying it because there is no seal on either tube. I look forward to testing it in the snow this week, the desert next week and all points in between throughout the rest of the test period.

      Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

      Paul Schilke
    • swhiker@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 16, 2010
        The initial report can be found in the test folder at:

        http://tinyurl.com/yahq5e5

[...]

        Signature

        Paul Schilke

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 16, 2010
          The html can found in the test file at

          http://tinyurl.com/yahq5e5 or

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20ALL%20TERRAIN%20COMPANY%20WINTERSPORT%20SUNSCREEN%20PAUL/

          ________________________________

          Manufacturer' s Website: <http://www.allterrainco.com" LINK TEXT = "http://www.allterra inco.com">>

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 26, 2010
            any ETA on edits to this yet?

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 27, 2010
              Paul,

              Thanks for your patience. I am finally caught up with work after attending the O4 Show last week.

              Anyway, thanks for your report. I have just a few edits for you. Please upload when you have made the corrections and I'll see you in two months.

              John

              A brief web search indicates that Rosemount Ventures is also the parent company of Neostrata, another producer of skin care products..

              EDIT: Delete one of the periods at the end of this sentence.

              There is a lot of information listed on the tiny tube. The WinterSport Skin Protectant / Sunscreen contains a lot of interesting inactive ingredients which one might purchase for skin care on their own from a homeopathic apothecary, herbalist or natural foods store .

              EDIT: It's a minor thing, but it would be better to change "one" and "their own" to "I" and "my own" to avoid projection.

              My first thought when reading the packaging was to duration of desired effects.

              EDIT: change "to" to "the"

              To make this product stretch farther, if that interests you, it might be a good idea to put moisturizer on before putting this product on.

              EDIT: The dreaded "you" needs to be changed to avoid projection - telling the reader what they might experience. Re-word, please.

              I like the product at first touch.
              EDIT: Should be "liked".

              EDIT: You need some sort of statement about this being the conclusion of your Initial Report and that your Field Report will be posted in approximately two months time.

              ______________________________________-

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 1, 2010
                My IR has been posted to the proper file and can be found at the following links:

                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Health%20&%20Safety/Sunscreens/All%20Terrain%20Winter%20Sport%20Sunscreen/Test%20Report%20by%20Paul%20Schilke/

                or

                http://tinyurl.com/yc2pudu

[...]

                There is a lot of information listed on the tiny tube. The WinterSport Skin Protectant / Sunscreen contains a lot of interesting inactive ingredients which can be purchased for skin care from a homeopathic apothecary, herbalist or natural foods store . For example, calendula is the primary ingredient in one of my baby's diaper creams.

[...]

                I liked the product. It made my hands and face feel good and my nose happy and stimulated. If I were purchasing this in a store, I might think twice about buying it because there is no seal on either tube. I look forward to testing it in the snow this week, the desert next week and all points in between throughout the rest of the test period.

                This concludes my Initial Report. The results of my field tests will be posted as a Field Report in approximately two months.

                Signature

                Paul Schilke

                Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.