IR - Redfeather Conquest Snowshoes - Nathan Kettner

  • kettnernw
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2010
      The text is below and the html is here: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Snow%20Gear/Snowshoes/Redfeather%20Conquest%20Recreational/Test%20Report%20by%20Nathan%20Kettner/

      or here: http://tiny.cc/IRConquestNWK

      REDFEATHER CONQUEST SNOWSHOES
      TEST SERIES BY NATHAN KETTNER
      IR
      January 03, 2010

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Nathan Kettner
      EMAIL: kettnernw "at" yahoo "dot" com
      AGE: 32
      LOCATION: Colorado Springs, Colorado
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 1" (1.85 m)
      WEIGHT: 175 lb (79.40 kg)

      I'm a medium weight backpacker, meaning my pack usually weighs 30-35 lb (13-16 kg), and I generally hike a moderate pace and mostly in mountainous terrain.
      I almost always use a tent (lightweight when backpacking, wall tent when hunting). I'm a weekend backpacker and make lots of day trips and single night outings, plus a few week-long backpack trips. All of my outings have been in the beautiful and rugged Rocky Mountains of Colorado and Wyoming since I started backpacking in 2004.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Redfeather
      Year of Manufacture: 2009
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://redfeather.com/">>
      MSRP: US$69.95
      Listed Weight: 4.25 lbs (1.93 kg)
      Measured Weight: 4.17 lbs (1.89 kg)
      Measured Length: 24 in (61 cm)
      Measured Width: 8.5 in (21.6 cm)
      Designed for User Weight up to 175 lbs (79 kg)
      Color: Gray w/ Black Binding
      Decking Material: Injection-Molded Nylon

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      Several things jumped out at me when I first got hold of the Conquest snowshoes. The first was the heft. These snowshoes feel solid and heavy to me and indeed are heavier than several other models of snowshoes that I've used. I suspect that most of the 'extra' weight is due to the heavy duty injection-molded nylon decking.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1">> <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2">>

      The second thing that struck me was that the hinge is stiffer than I expected. The Redfeather website says the "Live-Action Hinge lifts the tail of the shoe from the snow with every step – for added mobility and speed." It certainly looks sturdy (a heavy rubber strap looped around a part of the decking and then riveted to itself), but probably also adds some weight to the design. <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "Live-Action Hinge (as seen from bottom of snowshoe).">>

      Third, I noticed that the bindings looked quite different than any other binding I've seen or used on a snowshoe or any outdoor equipment for that matter. When I first tried them on with my winter boots, I was impressed with the simplicity of the belt-like buckles. The urethane straps are riveted to the Hypalon II (synthetic rubber) binding which connects to the hinge of the snowshoe. The straps are fastened by simply pulling until you have a snug fit and then fitting the small aluminum knob through the nearest hole in the strap. <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "Close-up of buckle on bindings.">>

      Lastly, I wondered if the small spaces created by the structure of the injection molding on the under-side of the snowshoes would provide a place for snow to get packed-in and slow me down by adding more weight to every step.

      TRYING THEM OUT

      Since we don't have much snow in town, I'll have to wait until I can get up to the mountains to put these snowshoes through their paces, but I did try them on with my winter boots to make sure they fit. I wear a size 11 US mens and I had plenty of extra length in the straps. As noted above, the straps were very easy to fasten and my foot felt very secure as I swung my foot back and forth and side-to-side.

      SUMMARY

      At first blush, the Conquest snowshoes seem a little on the heavy side, but also seem quite sturdy.

      Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.
    • cdaignault
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2010
        Nathan,

        You have uploaded your IR to the actual report folder prior to it being edited. Please remove it and and upload it to the TESTS folder first, so it can be edited. Once that's done, I will let you know that you are free to upload to the actual report folder.

        If you have any questions or aren't sure of the proper procedure, please don't hesitate to ask!

        -- Chari
        Redfeather Conquest Snowshoes Monitor

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2010
          Chari,

          Sorry about that. The process is very clear, I just haven't done a report for a couple months and got ahead of myself.

          Here are the new links: http://tiny.cc/NWKConquestIR

          or:
          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-%20Redfeather%20Conquest%20Snowshoes%20-%20NathanKettner/

          Sorry again
          Nathan

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5, 2010
            Thank you, Nathan! Nice report, great pictures, links work and HTML looks good. Just one edit for you:

            EDIT: Please add the required/customary phrase to the end of your report asking the reader to come back in approximately 2 months for your Field Report. Also, please add a thank you to the manufacturer and BGT for the honor of being able to test the product. :)

            Thanks -- once that's done, you can upload the report to its home and delete your file from the TESTS folder.

            See you in a couple months!

            -- Chari