IR - Osprey Talon 44 - kathryn

  • Dark Lazarus
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2010
      To the mystery monitor. Here is the IR for the Osprey Talon. HTML
      can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/yhmzhuh

      kathryn

      --
      Osprey Talon 44 Backpack

      Test series by Kathryn Doiron
      Initial Report: Jan 2, 2009

      Image of Osprey Talon

      Personal Information:
      Name: Kathryn Doiron
      Age: 33
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5' 8" (1.7 m)
      Weight: 150 lb (68 kg)
      Email: kdoiron 'at' gmail 'dot' com
      Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

      Brief Background: I started backpacking and hiking seriously almost
      four years ago. Most of my miles have been logged in New Hampshire and
      Massachusetts. I have recently finished 1200+ miles (2000+ km) of the
      Appalachian Trail. My style is to be as light as possible while not
      spending a fortune. My pack weight tends to hover around 25 lbs (11
      kg) with two days of food and 0.5 L of water. I have recently started
      getting into winter hiking, snowshoeing and kayaking.

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: Osprey Packs
      Website: http://www.ospreypacks.com/
      MSRP: n/av
      Weight: (stated) 2 lb 10 oz (1.18 kg)
      Weight: (actual) 2 lb 8 oz (1.13 g)
      Size/Color: Magnesium (Spicy Chili and Citron also available)
      Material: 800 fill power down, nylon and Polkatex

      Initial Report:
      January 2nd, 2010

      Part of their Active Light Pursuits line, the Talon 44 is a 44 L (2600
      cu in.) pack recommended for overnighters, thru-hiking, climbing and
      cragging. The optimal pack weight is about 30 lb (13 kg). Starting
      from the top and working down, the pack features a detachable lid with
      a small internal pocket and a key lanyard. The bottom of the lid also
      has a mesh zippered pocket. Inside the pack is one large compartment
      with top entry and a bottom entry zipper. The top opening has two draw
      cord closures and one clip closure. There is no internal water bladder
      storage, rather it is possible to slid a bladder down behind the back
      mesh panel and secure it with a clip. The site specs claim up to a 3 L
      bladder can be accommodated. On the front face of the pack is a large
      stretch panel pocket with blinker light slots and a top clip closure
      with bottom drain hole. The pack has a toggle and loop system to hold
      an ice axe or possibly trekking poles. The hip belt is mildly padded
      and each side contains a zippered pocket. The shoulder straps, also
      mildly padded, contain an elastic system for containing a drinking
      hose as well as small pockets. The sternum strap is mildly adjustable
      with three possible slots to move the strap to for a better fit. There
      are two side stretch pockets. The tightening system is a simple strap
      at the top and a Z system for the bottom.

      Detail of the back panel
      Close up of back panel with bladder slot and carry handle

      Based on the website, the Talon 44 was about what I expected. I was a
      little shocked to see so many straps initially, but once I opened up
      the pack and figured out where all the straps belonged, it didn't seem
      like so many after that. The website also claimed the pack came with a
      tow loop but the picture was for the Talon 33 and I didn't see one on
      the Talon 44. I suspect the Talon 44 doesn't feature a tow loop. The
      pack as a lot of features and I'm sure I missed something. It appears
      that the shoulder straps can be adjusted up or down with a hook and
      look enclosure that is contained within the air mesh back panel. The
      grab loop seems to be well place but only filling the pack with weight
      will determine how well it really is placed.

      Detail of the front pocket Detail of the bottom entry
      Detailing of the front pocket with light clip and bottom entry

      I am not 100% sure what the small pockets on the shoulder straps are
      for. My first thought was that they were for an MP3 player, but there
      is one on each strap. I suspect it might also be to contain the
      mouthpiece of a drinking hose. I will play around with them and see if
      I can figure them out. The pack seems to be well made and I didn't
      notice any stitching flaws. The hip belt and shoulder straps have an
      interesting strap retention system, basically it is a plastic slider
      to keep the end of the strap handy. The belt buckle felt a little
      flimsy when I tried on the empty pack. I can't wait to take this pack
      out and see how well it contains all my gear.

      Detail of the shoulder strap
      Detail of the shoulder strap with small pocket and elastic strap for
      bladder hose

      My test plan over the next couple of months will be to use the
      backpack on all my outdoor activities whether hiking or backpacking.
      My trips are generally quite varied with dayhikes, weekend backpacking
      trips and jaunts around town.

      This concludes my field report on the Osprey Talon 44 backpack. The
      field report will be appended onto this report in two months time
      (around March) and will include field testing. Please check back then
      for further information on the Osprey backpack.