FR - Wool Buff - kathryn

  • Dark Lazarus
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2010
      Here is the FR for the Wool Buff. HTml can be found here:
      http://tinyurl.com/yllqcy8

      kathryn

      --
      Field Report:
      January 2nd, 2010

      I have so far used this Wool Buff on about three day trips and one
      overnight trip. I have also used it several times around town and to
      work.

      Trips:

      My first trip out with the Wool Buff was a day hike up in the Brighton
      Lakes area in Utah. The hike was about 2-3 mi (3-5 km) with an
      elevation gain of about 1000 ft (305 m). Temperatures were around 50 F
      (10 C). I initially wore the Buff around my head as a head band but as
      the cool weather started to chill my ears, I shifted the Buff to cover
      by head and ears more fully.

      Keeping my head and ears warm while eating

      My next trip out was in the Shenandoah NP in Virginia. I again used
      the Wool Buff as a head wrap but later in the evening I switched over
      to a hat to keep my head and ears warm. I have started to notice that
      after some use, the Buff seems to lose some of its tightness and seems
      to sag with continued use.

      My next trip out was another hiking trip in the Shenandoah NP area.
      This was to hike the White Oak canyon trail. The temperatures were
      actually up in teh high 60's (20 C). I wore the Buff around my head
      mostly to keep my hair out of my face.

      The last trip out was a snowboarding trip and I ended up wearing the
      Buff around my neck to both keep my neck warm and to help keep the
      snow out of my jacket. The ski trip was out at Brighton Resort in
      Utah. Weather was warm, around 40 F (4 C) and I was snowboarding for
      the first time, which meant falling down most of the morning. The Buff
      did a great job of keeping the snow from entering my jacket. I was
      also able to pull the buff up over my face when I was on the ski lift
      to keep my face from chilling on the way up.

      Impressions and Comments:
      So far I really like the Wool Buff. The material is nice and soft,
      which feels great against the skin. I am not a big fan of the extra
      length and would rather have a slightly thicker material then more
      length. I tend to double the Buff up to take up the slack from the
      extra length. I also find that after wear, the Buff isn't as tight as
      it was when fresh from the wash. I find that because of the looser
      fit, I don't use it as much as a hair wrap, rather I use it as a head
      covering or neck covering.

      Wrap-up
      Pros so far: easy to use, and nice skin feel. Cons so far: gets loose
      with use (between washes).

      This concludes my field report on the Buff Natural Merino Wool
      Headwear. The long term report will be appended onto this report in
      two months time (around December) and will include more field testing
      and any long term wear issues. Please check back then for further
      information on the Wool Buff.