FR - Momad Camping Journal - Ed Morse

  • Ed
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2010
      Patrick,
      Here is my Field Report for the Nomad Camping Journal. I hope I've caught most of my blunders. This slim report will be expanded in the LTR.
      The HTML should be found in the TESTS folder at:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/FR%20-%20Nomad%20Camping%20Journal%20-%20Ed%20Morse/

      It might be easier to use the Tiny URL: http://tinyurl.com/yzkofrh

      This test has prompted temporary change in my winter backpacking plans. I will be staying more at regular campgrounds on my next trip.

      NOMAD CAMPING JOURNAL
      TEST SERIES BY EDWIN MORSE
      FR
      January 02, 2010

      <a name="FRPT">FIELD REPORT</a>

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      I am not generally a campground camper so this testing requires a different mindset for me to camp with people around and civilized facilities. I camped at two different campgrounds in the last two months, both in the Ocala National Forest in central Florida.

      The weather was a warm 76 F (24 C) the first day with a low of 55 F (13 C) in the morning at the first campground. At the second campground there was a high temperature of 74 F (23 C) with a low in the morning of 64 F (18 C). The moon was near full and very bright both days. Even with a slight cloud cover the second night it was bright enough so I didn't need to use a light to walk around outside during the night.

      The terrain is relatively flat while the trails are open and mostly sandy. This is true of nearly all of the Ocala National Forest.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      The Nomad hiking/backpacking & camping journal did very well for the intended purpose. I drove to two different National Forest campgrounds while we were in Florida to visit relatives. After I had my tent set up and all camp chores done I filled out the spaces in the journal. Here I am sitting at a picnic table making out my notes for the day.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "making notes" IMAGE CAPTION = "writing in the journal">>
      It did seem a little odd to sit at a table rather than on the ground leaning against a tree while writing down my notes for the day.
      There are spaces provided for several specific types of information about the campground and hiking trails. There is also one page which is lined on both sides for observations and notes. The Journal seemed to encourage me to take much better notes than I normally do.

      I tried to fill in all the spaces in the first two pages. Then I wrote extensively on the pages labeled Observations / Notes. In the small and cheap notebooks I normally carry when backpacking I might use four or five pages for a long and interesting day.

      SUMMARY

      In my opinion the Nomad hiking/backpacking & camping journal is not an item I would buy for backpacking. I prefer to keep both weight and space for whatever I carry as small as I can and still be reasonably safe and comfortable. This journal is just too big and heavy to justify the weight and space in my backpack. I will carry the journal on my next backpacking trip so I can give it a good workout.

      If I was a vehicle (automobile, truck or recreation vehicle) camper I would consider the journal a neat way to record and store information that I might want for a later return to the same area. The first two pages have spaces provided for nearly all the information I want about the trail and location of the campground. The only items I see left out of the Campground Information section are toilet facilities, showers and swimming availability.

      This journal would have been very useful in the years when our boys were growing up and we drove to campgrounds all over Michigan. We would have enjoyed filling out the information together which also would have been good reference for a later trip to the same area. My wife was concerned with what toilet facilities were available. Our sons were only interested in how close we could camp to the swimming area.

      I would like to thank Nomad Adventure Journals and Backpackgeartest.org for the opportunity to use and test this camping journal.

      This concludes my Field Report please check back in about two months for more extensive information in the Long Term Report.

      Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.close we could camp to the swimming area.
    • Pat
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2010
        Hi Ed,

        Very nice report. It sounds liek the Journal has quire a bit of writing space. I may have to think about investing in soemthing like this.

        As for edits, I don't have anything for you. The only thing I noted was the very last line of the text version includes what looks like soemthign from earlier in the report (see below). However, it does not show up in the html version. I suspect it is a cut and pasting problem. You may want to review the text to see if somethign is missing, although I didn't get that feeling.

        Go ahead and upload when ready and please delete the report from the Tests folder. See you again in a couple months.

        Pat

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2010
          Hi Pat,
          Uploaded to Nomad Camping Journal folder and deleted from tests folder.
          There is a lot of writing space but I will only use it on one trip for backpacking.
          I will be back with the LTR in about two months.

          Ed M