LTR - OR SoDo Shirt - Mark McLauchlin

  • Mark McLauchlin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2010
      Hello,

      For editing.

      Text below

      HTML here; http://tinyurl.com/ycuq7c2

      Over the past two months the Outdoor Research SoDo Shirt has seen a
      significant amount of wear both on an off the trail. In total I have been
      out on the trail for a further five days and an estimated 12 days off trail.

      Days on the trail have included various sections of the Bibbulmun track, all
      towards the Northern most end in temperatures ranging from 15 C (59 F) to
      approximately 32 C (90 F). No precipitation fell during this period. I also
      wore the shirt on one trail maintenance trip on a section of trail I am
      responsible for, which covers a distance of approximately 30 km or 18 miles.
      This was a great work out for the shirt as not only did I have to contend
      with the heat but also the extra physical activity of trail maintenance.

      After continued use of the shirt and subsequent machine washing the shirt
      shows no signs of wear and tear nor has it become stretched and ill fitting.
      There are no stains or tears in the shirt from field use or signs of pack
      wear. The loose threads which were previously reported have not shown to
      cause any further issues.

      My experience with the shirt has been very positive and it is something that
      I will continue to use in the cooler weather on the trail and as a regular
      shirt off the trail. I do believe the shirt is a little too warm to be worn
      during summer time in Australia where the temperatures are frequently over
      30 C (86 F), the material is rather thick and does not breath all that well.
      Having said that some may find this to be ok. I have found no need to apply
      sunscreen to areas covered by the shirt which to me indicates the UPF 30+
      rating holds true.

      I still seem to have an issue with the material of the shirt causing an
      irritation to my nipples on occasion, I was hoping that with continued use
      and washing the shirt would perhaps soften up, however this has not been the
      case. I hope that not too many other people would experience this issue as
      apart from this it is a great shirt.

      There is not a great deal more that I can say about the shirt besides the
      fact that it has lived up to my expectations in terms of function and
      durability and it was a very enjoyable item to test.

      Things I liked
      UPF 30 + rating
      Hard wearing
      Stylish yet functional

      Things I disliked
      Too warm for Summer use.
      Skin irritation

      This concludes my Long-Term Report and the test series for the Outdoor
      Research SoDo S/S shirt.

      Thank you to Outdoor Research and BackpackGearTest.org for the privilege of
      testing the SoDo S/S Shirt

      <http://lightweighthikersblog.blogspot.com/> Follow my lightweighthikers
      blog