IR - Patagonia Nano Puff pullover - Mike Curry

  • the_fish_guy
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 24, 2009
      As promised, before Christmas! HTML can be found at http://tinyurl.com/ybys99f

      Mike C.

      PATAGONIA NANO PUFF PULLOVER
      TEST SERIES BY MIKE CURRY
      IR
      December 24, 2009

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Mike Curry
      EMAIL: thefishguyAThotmailDOTcom
      AGE: 39
      LOCATION: Aberdeen, Washington
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 220 lb (99.80 kg)

      I've been backpacking, climbing, ski-packing, bushwhacking, and snowshoeing throughout the mountains of Oregon and Washington for the last 25 years. I'm an all-season, all terrain, off-trail kind of guy, but these days (having small kids) most of my trips run on the shorter side of things, and tend to be in the temperate rainforest. While I've carried packs (with winter climbing gear) in excess of 70 pounds (32 kilos), the older I get the more minimalist I become.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Patagonia <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Nano Puff (Photo Courtesy of Manufacturer)">>
      Year of Manufacture: 2009
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.patagonia.com" LINK TEXT = "www.patagonia.com">>
      MSRP: US $150.00
      Listed Weight: 9.4 oz (266 g)
      Measured Weight: 11.5 oz (326 g)
      Other details:
      Size tested: XL
      Color tested: Bonfire Orange (465)

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      When I opened the box containing the Patagonia Nano Pull pullover, two things immediately struck me. First was the color, Bonfire Orange, which is very bright without being totally obnoxious. My wife, after I wore it a few days, described it as making me easy to spot in a crowd without making her embarrassed to be seen with me. I think that summarizes my feeling toward it as well . . . it's a very bright, noticeable orange, but just subdued enough that I don't feel conspicuous wearing it around town.

      Pulling the Nano Puff out of the box, the second things struck me . . . this garment is insanely light weight. My immediate thought was "will this thing be able to keep me warm?" More on that below under "trying it out." For now, suffice it to say it is the lightest insulated outerwear I've ever owned.

      The fabric used is described by the manufacturer as "1-oz 15-denier 100% all-recycled polyester with a DWR (durable water repellent) finish." it has a very small crosshatch pattern that is visible under close examination that appears to be a ripstop-style weave. The fabric feels rather silky, and has visible quilting stitching on the outside. There is no visible stitching on the inside, making me believe the insulation material is quilted to the outside before garment assembly.

      Two fine-toothed nylon zippers are found on the pullover, one for the neck zip, and one for the chest pocket. The neck zip is the perfect length in my opinion, being long enough to provide some ventilation without adding unnecessary weight. The jacket stuffs into the chest pocket (with some effort), making it quite compact for inside a pack. When stored in its pocket, there is a small webbing loop that can be used to clip the jacket on to a pack, etc., with a carabiner or similar item. The loop is small, just large enough to be serviceable without adding additional weight.

      The insulation is described by the manufacturer as 60-g PrimaLoft® One. The insulation provides a remarkable amount of loft, feeling "wispy" to me. That is to say, it springs back out and provides good volume without feeling bulky.

      The manufacturer also states that the garment is recyclable through the Common Threads recycling program.

      The waist and wrist openings are slightly gathered by elastic, and are hemmed with a soft material. As with the rest of the garment, this appears well thought out, providing a comfortable feel against the skin while minimizing weight.

      The construction seems to be of extremely high quality, and all stitching appears flawless.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      No instructions were provided, however three hang tags were included describing the garment as highly water-resistant, environmentally friendly, and describing the high-loft insulation.

      The care tag sewn inside the garment advises to machine wash cold (permanent press cycle), do not bleach, tumble dry low heat, and do not iron (using standard care symbols), and further advises against the use of fabric softeners.

      TRYING IT OUT

      When I first put on the Nano Puff Pullover, I was very impressed with the feel of the garment and its fit. The garment literally glides right over whatever I'm wearing, making it remarkably easy to pull on and off. Other pullovers I've owned have tended to hang up or grip whatever I'm wearing under them, making removal sometimes difficult. Definitely not the case with the Nano Puff. The pullover also fit very well. I would say it runs very true to size for an XL, and provides me with a good range of motion without being unduly bulky.

      Having worn it for over a week now, I can comment on my initial thoughts regarding its warmpth and water repellency. Regarding warmth, I wore the Nano Puff for a walk at 20 F (-7C) wearing nothing but a cotton t-shirt under it, and with the neck zipper zipped all the way up. While slightly cool, I certainly could have continued all day, though I wouldn't have wanted to stop for long. What made this possible, I realized, was not just the insulation, but the fact that the fabric is strikingly wind-resistant, and there was very little air movement through the garment. I was utterly amazed at how warm it was.

      Several days later, I got the opportunity to wear the Nano Puff on a day hike in some light to moderate intermittent showers. As with most DWR treated garments, the heavier showers eventually saturated the fabric instead of beading up and rolling off. I never, however, felt any moisture on the inside of the garment, and it seemed to continue to remain just as warm as when dry.

      Rolling the jacket inside out to store it in the chest pocket takes some effort, as the pocket is just large enough for the task. While it takes some doing, it also forms a relatively small package, which is just what I like for packing.

      All in all, my first impressions in trying it out are very, very positive.

      SUMMARY

      The Nano Puff pullover appears to be a very well-designed, well-constructed garment that provides an excellent compromise between light weight, warmth, packability, and water-resistance. I look forward to testing it under a wide variety of field conditions.

      I would like to thank Patagonia and BackpackGearTest for the opportunity to test the Micro Puff pullover. My field report will be appended to this report in approximately two months. Please check back then for additional information. This concludes my Initial Report.

      Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 27, 2009
        Hi Mike,
        HTML looks good. Mfr link works. One edit.
        Carol, Monitor

        Having worn it for over a week now, I can comment on my initial thoughts regarding its warmpth and water repellency.
        *** warmth ***