FR: Princeton Tec Remix Headlamp - Jamie

  • sportjamos
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2009
      Hey Ralph,

      I hope all is well with you and the family mate!

      See below...

      HTML at http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?201j

      Field Report

      1st December 2009
      Field Locations & Conditions

      I have began testing the Princeton Tec Remix on a recent trip to Freycinet National Park. This 3 day trip was mainly on coastal tracks at sea level but did involve a climb of Mt Freycinet (620 m/2,034 ft) and Mt Graham (579 m/ 1,900 ft). During this trip there was no rain and temps were around 20 C (68 F) during the day with night time lows of around 8 C (46 F).

      Wineglass Bay in the Freycinet Peninsula
      Performance in the Field

      As stated in my Initial Report, I would usually carry 2 headlamps with me when out and about walking. I am pleased to report that I have found that the Remix is suitable as a hybrid lamp. I found that in Ultrabright mode, I was easily able to tend to jobs around camp such as cooking and sorting my tent in a nice bright crisp light I was also easily able to dim the lamp to Ultrabright low which I found more suitable for reading in my tent. I use this setting the majority of the time as it is generally bright enough even outdoors. With no hassle what so ever I can switch to Maxbright mode and make the track to the campsite toilets where a decent beam of light was highly useful to avoid tripping on the uneven track. On Maxbright high mode, this is a really bright lamp and I can easily see about 20-30 m (66-98 ft) ahead of me on the track.

      I have found the Remix a highly comfortable headlamp to wear when backpacking. I tend to find myself adjusting my other lamps all the time as I find them too tight or they slip around and annoy me. I am very pleased that I have had next to no hassles with having to adjust the headband and find it really soft but secure.

      Despite being comfortable, I still find that adjusting the angle of the beam/body of the lamp is very stiff. I find this a little annoying when I am change between wanting to have the beam coming out at a high angle for distance use (usually in Maxbright mode) and having the beam angled down low when working around camp, say preparing a meal. It continues to be not possible for me to adjust the beam angle with one hand. I must hold the backing with one hand (usually against my head) and then adjust the angle with my other hand. When adjusting the angle of the lamp, I can feel 4 distinct angle settings. I mainly use the lamp tilted in the 3rd position or not at all.

      Throughout my testing so far I have had no major issues with the exception of 2 incidences where the Remix would not turn on, regardless of how long I held down the button. The only way I could get the lamp to fire up was to open the battery door and close it again. Once this was done, the Remix worked fine. I can not figure out what prevented the Remix from working as the lamp had not been dropped or has any water got into the body.

      Although I have not had to replace the batteries, as outlined above I have had to open the battery door a few times. What I have found interesting is that by using the battery door lever that is part of the elastic strap. In the photo above I have tried to show that I can lift the door latch but not enough to open it using the lever. I have given up using this method and simply use my thumb to open the door.

      All is good so far in my testing of the Princeton Tec Remix Headlamp. I have enjoyed the flexibility of moving between Ultrabright mode and Maxbright mode. I am a little alarmed about the few occasions where I had to open then close the battery door to get the lamp to switch on so I hope this doesn't develop into a fault as I continue my testing.

      This concludes my Field Report of the Princeton Tec Remix headlamp. The results of my long term testing will be available in February 2010.

      Again I would like to thank to Princeton Tec and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this product.