EDIT: IR - JanSport Klamath 55 - Jeremy Laporte

  • Ernie Elkins
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2009
      Hi, Jeremy. I have quite a few minor edits for you -- in the future, please run a spell check on your report before submitting it. That would have saved us both a little time. On a larger scale, your report would benefit from a bit more detail in the "Initial Impressions" and "Trying It Out" sections. For example, what can you tell us about the fit, feel, and construction of the waist belt? Frame sheet? Other than the fabric on their inner face, what more can you tell us about the shoulder straps? Backpacks can be daunting, so please don't be discouraged. For inspiration, you might want to take a look at some other backpack reviews on the site.

      Once your edits are complete, I'd appreciate it if you'd post your IR to the list so that I could take one last look at it.

      Thanks,

      Ernie

      * * *

      <snip>"Measured Weight: 3.02 lbs (1.37 kg)"
      <Edit>As you discuss in your report, this is a significant deviation from the listed weight. Are you completely confident in your measurement?

      <snip>"The Klamath 55 is a top loading backpack with features such as Unbound-edge AirCore™ shoulder straps, Ventech™ back panel, Dual water bottle pockets, Foamex framesheet with dual aluminum stays."
      <Suggestion>Is this information entirely necessary at this point? I ask because many of the features require explanation (which you provide below), so simply listing them isn't all that informative at this point.

      <snip>"The material feels thicker than most of my lightweigh bacpacks."
      <EDIT>This sentence contains to misspelled words: "lightweight" rather than "lightweigh" and "backpacks" rather than "bacpacks."
      <Suggestion>Those changes aside, it's best not to compare the item that you're reviewing to other items that you've used. After all, since your reader doesn't have first-hand experience with the other packs that you own, this comparison won't mean much to them.

      <snip>"Upon inspection I couldn't find any default in the sitching."
      <EDIT>You left a "t" out of "stitching."

      <snip>"The backpack construction seems very thoughrough."
      <EDIT>I think you mean "thorough."

      <snip>"I'm not very sure what this feature is but the inside of the shoulder straps are made of a different material which feel like it's gripping more on the clothes so the straps won't move too much."
      <EDIT>"Feels" rather than "feel" and "on my clothes" rather than "the clothes."

      <snip>"I'm excited to test it to see how comfortable it will be and it's whicking properties."
      <EDIT>It's "wicking" rather than "whicking."

      <snip>"It is pretty large and accessible trough a zipper."
      <EDIT>You left an "h" out of "thorough."

      <snip>"I was suprised that some of the features described on the Jan Sport website are non existing on the backpack I received."
      <EDIT>You left an "r" out of "suprised," and it's "non existent" rather than "non existing."

      <snip>"For exemple the website listed a zippered sleeping bag compartment which is non existant in the pack I have."
      <EDIT>You've misspelled "example" and "existent."

      <snip>"So is the dual zippered side gear pockets, I don't know what is it but absolutly no pockets are double zippered on my pack."
      <EDIT>"So are the dual zippered side gear pockets. I don't know what they are, but absolutely no pockets are double zippered on my pack." These changes aside, I think I can clear up some of your confusion. My guess is that dual refers to the pockets themselves and not the zippers (i.e. there are two pockets, one each side, as with the dual water bottle pockets), but the bigger issue is obviously that Jansport lists the pack as having features that it clearly does not. The most likely explanation is that they've mistakenly listed several features for the 55 that are found only on the larger packs.

      <snip>"The pack has many adjustment points that allow to cinch the pack for a perfect fit."
      <EDIT>"...that allow [me] to cinch..."

      <snip>"Putting it on I have no special remarks."
      <EDIT>"After putting it on, I have no special remarks."

      <snip>"I can't build an opinion on the fit and feel without loading it and taking it out on a hike."
      <Suggestion>While it's wise to wait for actual field experience before reaching any conclusions, it wouldn't hurt to share your observations on the initial fit and feel of the pack. For example, you refer to the fit as "perfect" above. Perhaps you could elaborate a bit on what's perfect about it?

      <snip>"The construction is solid and I'm excited to test it.
      I'm just a bit disapointed by the weigh being 50% more than the one listed."
      <EDIT>Please remove the line break between these two sentences. Also, you left to the "t" off "weight" in the second sentence.

      <snip>"Some features that I was expecting are not existing and the ice axe loop is not well though out."
      <EDIT>You've typed "though" rather than "thought," and it should be "non existent" rather than "not existing."

      <snip>"I would like to thanks Jan Sport and Backpackgeartest for the opportunity to test the Klamath 55 backpack."
      <EDIT>"Thank" rather than "thanks."
    • Jeremy Laporte
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2009
        Ernie,

        Thanks a lot for the comments and edits. I will certainly correct the report tomorrow. Sorry I made so many mistakes, English is not my native tongues but I do run spell-checks and have my wife read my reports too.

        If you want, with a little bit more time and your guidance I can elaborate more in my report. Things are a little crazy at the moment, I had a birthday, Thanksgiving and I’m currently completing a 6 weeks intense training program for my job.

        Let me know if that work for you.

        Sincerely,

        Jeremy Laporte

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2009
          Jeremy:

          This is definitely a busy time of year, and it sounds like you have a lot on your shoulders at the moment. My wife and I are in the process of moving our retail store to a new location, so I'm a bit overwhelmed as well (my mind is definitely a bit fuzzy...). In fact, I found several typos when I just looked back over my edits -- perhaps I need to edit my edits! Regardless, I hope I didn't sound too harsh. Your report certainly has good bones, but it could use just a little fleshing out in a few key places. If I remember correctly, you have a full week to complete your edits. If that's not enough time, then I'm sure we could talk to Kathy about an extension.

          Thanks again,

          Ernie
        • Jeremy Laporte
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2009
            Ernie:

            Thank you I will use some of the week to add more meat to the report and we
            will move from there with additional edits. Don't you worry about being too
            harsh, I like honest constructive criticism, and I also thought my report
            lacked some substance but that what the best I could do.

            Thank you for your work.