LTR-Suisse Sport Sleeping Bag-S. Gibson

  • Suzi Gibson
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2009
      Hi Ray,
      Here's my LTR for the SS Adventurer bag. Thanks for the edits:)
      Suzi

      http://tinyurl.com/yk94sn7

      Long Term Report - 1 December 2009

      Field Locations and Conditions:

      I tested the Suisse Sport Adventurer mummy sleeping bag an additional 5 nights at the same Maryland location as well as a local South Carolina state park. Elevations were 100 ft (30.5 m) and 680 ft (207 m), respectively. Weather conditions ranged from partly sunny to light rain, and calm winds to >10 mph (>16 kph) sustained winds with gusts to ~20 mph (32 kph). Daytime highs ranged from 48 F (9 C), to 77 F (25 C) while overnights lows ranged from 41 F (5 C) to 68 F (20 C). In addition to field-testing, I have also used to bag while crashing on my family's couch during visits.

      Performance and Durability:

      Over the past several weeks, I have used the bag car camping with an air mattress. Initially, this worked well however, as nighttime temperatures continued to decline to 50-55 F (10-12 C), I noticed that the bag was not able to keep me warm and allowed for significant heat loss through the air mattress. As a result, I opted to lay a blanket between the bag and mattress as well as don an additional layer of clothing. This approach worked satisfactorily until nighttime lows dipped below 50 F (10 C) and I became chilled again. Ultimately, when the temperatures dropped below 50 F (10 C), I used the Suisse Sport Adventurer bag inside my other bag (20 F/-6 C synthetic bag) and was able to stay warm all night with nothing more than my base layer of clothing. I also noticed that while the narrow shoulder girth didn't bother me during the warmer testing, it did start to bother me when I had to add extra layers.

      I did have several more zippers snags but was able to easily undo them without ripping the bag or draft tube. All the seams have retained their integrity throughout testing and have withstood several launderings. The bag's loft has remained the same throughout testing with no shifting or clumping.

      The stuff sack has been a disappointment for me. In my last report, I noticed fraying on one of the compression straps. I was not able to repair this during testing and it has grown from a very small fray to 5.5 in (14 cm). The fray length had remained the same length until a recent outing when unbeknownst to me, my toddler decided to play with the `never ending string' and the fray grew to its current length. Perhaps doubling over the terminal ends of the straps would aid in eliminating this issue in the future.

      The bag itself has held up very well during testing. It did a great job keeping me warm when temperatures were above 50 F (10 C) and I liked how cozy and snug it felt in the shoulders. I also like how compact it is when stowed. For me, this really helps since both garage storage as well as trunk space is limited. Overall, I think this bag is a great value for the price.
    • Ray
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2009
        Hi Suzi,

        Just a few edits for you and we are done.

        See you down the trail,

        Ray

        ***calm winds to >10 mph (>16 kph) sustained winds with gusts to ~20 mph (32 kph).

        EDIT: the abbreviation for kilometers per hour is km/h

        ***and was able to stay warm all night with nothing more than my basae layer of clothing.

        EDIT: "base" layer

        ***The stuff sack has been a disspointment for me.

        EDIT: disappointment

        ***In my last report, I noticed fraying on one of thecompression straps.

        EDIT: needs a space before compression