IR- Timex WS4 Watch- Will Rice

  • dalenmoney
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2009
      Now with two scoops of pictures!

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR-%20Timex%20WS4-%20Will%20Rice/

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Timex
      Year of Manufacture: 2009
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.timexexpedition.com
      MSRP: US$ 200.00
      Weight: 3.5 oz (100 g)
      Color: White/ Black
      Battery: CR2430
      Water Resistant: 50 m
      Adjustible Strap with 12 settings
      5 buttons

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      Initial Impressions: This watch is big! I couldn't stop thinking about its size. It also has a really nice display and very large numbering for everything. I was also overwhelmed by the features it has and am superexcited about using every aspect of the watch.
      Materials: Even with its large size, the material it is made of is still super-light, so the watch is not heavy. It has a fairly thick strap that feels solid and I don't fear it will break. I also am not worried about any part of the watch falling apart. The buttons are all proportional to the size of the watch and therefore easily located and pressed. This watch seems tough enough for any abuse I might expose it to.
      Features: The screen is easy to see. Scrolling through all of the modes is kind of lengthy, but I am getting used to the order. Setting the watch follows the traditional Timex methods, so that is simple. Calibrating the watch is a little more complicated and required some reading of the manual, but now is easy to remember and do.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      The instructions are well laid out and easy to read in multiple languages. The manual is real small, so it is very portable. Calibration of the watch required some tinkering with the manual. Also, there will be some other features I have to check the manual for as I discover and try to use them.

      TRYING IT OUT

      I took the watch into the field with me for my research project. I was excited about the altimeter function. It has 3 digits, so I was hoping to get + or - a couple feet with the watch, but it appears to take a swing of 10 or more feet to register a change in altitude. The second feature I used was the compass. It is very sensitive and has cardinal directions down the most detailed level (ex: SSE) in addition to a compass bearing. I am excited to use this during orienteering and see if it works better or worse than a regular compass. The last feature I have enjoyed is the weather icons. I am interested to see if this watch can accurately predict rain.
      I did attempt to use the watch while jogging. With extra sweating from running and its size and the back and forth motion of the arm, I did not enjoy wearing this as a jogger's watch. It isn't designed for that purpose, so that could be why it doesn't work well in that capacity.
      The indiglo is bright enough to take a picture of it.

      TESTING STRATEGY

      I plan to do some backpacking, hiking, orienteering, and possibly snowboarding. I am interested in running the stopwatch and recording altitude gains and losses while cycling and possibly while snowboarding. I would also like to see if I can notice the actual passing of a weather front via the barometric readings.

      SUMMARY

      This watch is super cool. It is fairly comfortable, light, stylish, sturdy, and has oodles of features.

      Likes:
      - sturdy
      - stylish

      Dislikes:
      - altimeteer/ baromter calibrating

      This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version 1.5 Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.
    • Mark McLauchlin
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2009
        Hi Will,

        Good use of images in your report.

        Few comments to think about and some edits, then you are free to upload.

        Cheers

        Mark

        Comment: Where you list the weight, although its not a requirement, it is a
        good idea to state if this is the manufacturers listed weight or yours and
        include both.
        Where you list the colour of the watch it is also a good idea to list the
        other colours the watch is available in.

        EDIT: Adjustible
        >>Adjustable – I did check the US online dictionary and it does not appear
        there .

        EDIT: and am superexcited
        >> and am super excited.

        EDIT: indiglo
        >>appears to be a Timex trademark and is capitalised so INDIGLO.

        EDIT: altimeteer/ baromter calibrating