IR- Tifosi Optics Backcountry Orange Fototec- Will Rice

  • dalenmoney
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2009
      With pics...

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR-%20Tifosi%20Optics%20Backcountry%20Orange-%20Will%20Rice/

      INITIAL REPORT
      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Tifosi
      Year of Manufacture: 2009
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.tifosioptics.com
      MSRP: US$ 59.95
      Listed Weight (frames with lenses): 1 oz (26 g)
      Measured Weight: less than 1.8 oz (50 g)
      Measured Weight (with case): 3.5 oz (100 g)
      Claimed time to change from light to dark shades: 12 seconds
      Light Transmission: 45-15%
      UVA/ UVB Blocking: 100%
      Model: Dolomite
      Color: Magnesium
      Style: T-V390

      Wearing Them

      Seeing through them

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      When I first got these glasses and took them out of the packaging, I was impressed at how they looked. They are very stylish and lightweight. The orange color seems to enhance my vision without giving me a headache from brightness. I did originally expect that the frames would be metallic. The frames are instead plastic, which makes them light enough that I forget that I am wearing them. I am concerned about their ability to withstand a fall onto conrete or any kind of impact my face might otherwise experience. The legs of the glasses are secured by a screw and typical sunglass hinge. The lenses have vented holes in the outer top and outer bottom locations. The legs of the sunglasses also have cutouts that reduce the weight and increase ventilation. The parts touching the ears and the bridge of the nose have rubber padding for better comfort and fit.

      TRYING IT OUT

      I have worn them on a couple specific occassions I want to talk about. First, I wore them out to a wooded area I was doing my thesis research in. The glasses aided in my seeing, even in shadier areas. They also protected my eyes from tree branches that I apparently walked right into without seeing. I eventually forgot I was even wearing them. They are very comfortable. The second occassion I wore them on was for a rainy/misty evening run. It was late afternoon when I started but then it transitioned to pretty much night time. The glasses still worked well to keep rain and mist out of my eyes while not impairing my vision in the darkness.

      TESTING STRATEGY

      I plan to wear these glasses as much as possible. There will be a few hiking trips, a few overnight backpacking trips (hoping to see they are durable enough not to break amongst other gear), some cycling, some running, and maybe some snowboarding.

      SUMMARY

      I am excited to test these glasses. I usually go for a darker shade of glasses to keep light out. These glasses seem like more of a usable tool in my conditions, so it will be interesting for me to see if they perform well enough to change my sunglass preference.

      Likes:
      - Lightweight
      - Fantastic looks
      - The tinting works well in all light conditions

      Dislikes:
      - Not sure if I can replace the lenses or not.

      This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version 1.5 Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.
      Read more gear reviews by Will Dalen Rice