Application - MSR Shift Snowshoes

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2009
      Please accept my application to test the MSR Shift Snowshoes. I have read the BackpackGearTest.org bylaws v. 0609 including, but not limited to, Chapter 5. I agree to comply with and exceed all requirements.

      Tester Information

      NAME: Mike Williams
      EMAIL: mlebwillATyahooDOTcom
      AGE: 35
      LOCATION: Milliken, Colorado, United States
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 9"
      WEIGHT: 225 lb

      I was introduced to backpacking as a teenager through scouts in Colorado Springs, Colorado and fell in love with it. I continued to actively backpack through college and took a break to start a career and family. A few years ago we decided as a family to become very active in hiking, backpacking and camping. Currently my wife, son (8 yrs) and I hike and backpack extensively in Colorado and South Dakota as a family. We continually look for the right balance of lightweight, durable, comfortable and safe gear for our family to enhance our outdoor experiences.

      Youth Tester Information

      NAME: Evan Williams
      AGE: 8
      LOCATION: Milliken, Colorado, United States
      GENDER: M
      SHOE SIZE: US 4 Youth
      HEIGHT: 4' 2"
      WEIGHT: 65 lb

      Evan began hiking at the age of 6 and went on his first overnight backpacking trip when he was 7. Evan carries all of his own gear and really enjoys being in the back country with his family. Evan has asked Santa for the past 2 years for real snowshoes and this is the year he is strong enough to go out in the powder with his family.

      Test Plan

      I have been selected to test the Tubbs NRG Flex snowshoes and will be be snowshoeing a lot this season. Evan will be joining me on most of my test trips this winter. We currently have two separate weekend (multi-night) Yurt trips planned in the Colorado State Forest in addition to many day excursions.

      What I will be looking for as a parent in these shoes are...

      1) Can Evan put the shoes on and take them off by himself (with or without gloves)?
      2) How will the composite decking handle powder, what king of float do they offer?
      3) Are they durable and well made?
      4) How adjustable are they for growing feet?

      Evan will be focusing on...

      1) Are they comfortable?
      2) Are they easy to walk in?
      3) When he falls, how easily can he get back up in these shoes?

      The test area will be primarily Northern Colorado where we tend to stay around an elevation of 10,000 feet during the winter. At this elevation we would expect ambient temperatures in the range of 5 F to 40 F. Snow pack should not be an issue and we will be shoeing in areas that have a minimum of 50" or more of snow.

      Currently I am testing the Terra-Nova 20L Elite Rucksack and and have been selected to test the Tubbs NRG Flex Snowshoes (awaiting arrival). I currently have an application pending to test the Badger Balm rub.

      I have completed one test series and 2 owner reviews which can be found at:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/mlebwill