FR - Princeton Tec Fuel Headlamp - Carol

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 29, 2009
      Here is the Fuel FR.
      HTML here: http://snurl.com/th9ci
      Carol

      FIELD REPORT

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "The Fuel in the Grand Canyon.">>

      September 18-20, <b>Yellowstone River</b>, Montana north of Yellowstone Park from Gardiner to Emigrant
      Elevation 5260 - 4880 ft (1600 - 1480 m)
      Weather hot and sunny with strong breezes in the afternoon. Temperatures from the mid 80's to 40 F (29 - 4 C) with rain on the second night.
      This was a packraft training course with camping next to the river.

      October 15-19, <b>Grand Canyon</b>, Hermit Trail to Hermit Creek, then Hermit Rapids, then Monument Creek , then out Hermit Trail
      Elevation 6640 - 2300 ft (2020 - 700 m)
      Weather warm (90 - 61 F, C) and clear with some stiff breezes during the climb out of the Canyon.
      This was a night in my car at the trail head followed by a four-day backpack trip on rocky trails that were sometimes steep and sometimes slick with water.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      I used the Fuel in camp on two nights along the Yellowstone River. Even on low, it was quite bright for camp duties and I needed to make sure not to blind my fellow camp mates. It got a little extra use the second night when we were kicked out of what we thought was a legal camp by a home owner and a sheriff's deputy after we had retired for the night. The Fuel lighted my way as I packed up in a light rain, walked out to our waiting bus, then set up camp once again at a new site.

      I used the Fuel about half an hour each of four nights (including one night on the rim) during my Grand Canyon trip. I kept in on low for all in-camp chores. I broke camp and started the hike out of the Canyon in the dark on the fifth morning. It was pitch black with no moon and of course, no light pollution. I set the Fuel on high for the hike and it easily lighted my way for a half hour until the sun came up. The Fuel had the right angle adjustment so that the path was lighted ahead of me and I could still see the ground close to my feet.

      The head band was wide enough to be comfortable on my head and adjusted to my head size.

      It takes two hands to tilt the lamp head; it would be more convenient to be able to use just one hand.

      I still have to fumble to find the on/off switch by feel in the dark.

      I used the Fuel for about two hours at home. I spent about half an hour putting together some furniture in dim light. A low level of brightness was plenty to help me see where to start the screws. I spent an hour and a half putting up Christmas lights when the electricity in the neighborhood went out. Again, the low level was just what I needed.

      I've used the Fuel about 5 and a half hours on low and half an hour on high so far.

      SUMMARY

      So far, the Fuel has worked well for me.

      <b>What I like so far:</b>
      - Comfortable to wear on my head
      - Good angle for night hiking

      <b>What I don't like so far:</b>
      - It takes two hands to angle the light

      Please check back in two months for the Long Term Report.

      Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.
    • a_henrichs
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2009
        Hi Carol,

        Nice report. I'm very jealous of your Grand Canyon outing. I'd like to get back there sometime soon. I only have one minor edit for you. When it's corrected, feel free to upload. Please be sure to delete your test html, too. Thanks, and I'll look for your LTR in a couple months!

        Andy

        > Weather warm (90 - 61 F, C)
        EDIT: conversions needed

        > It got a little extra use the second night when we were kicked out of what we thought was a legal camp by a home owner and a sheriff's deputy after we had retired for the night.
        Comment: nice :)