IR- Terramar Therma TX Shirt- Will Rice

  • dalenmoney
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 26, 2009
      I am out of town, so I dont know how to get the pictures in without use of
      ReportWriter. The text part though is below. Pictures will be added Monday.

      --Will

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR-%20Terramar%20Therma%20TX-%20Will%20Rice/

      TERRAMAR THERMA TX SHIRT 2
      TEST SERIES BY
      INITIAL REPORT

      INITIAL REPORT - November 23, 2009

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Will Rice
      EMAIL: will.dalen at gmail.com
      AGE: 28
      LOCATION: Charlotte, NC, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 7" (1.70 m)
      WEIGHT: 150 lb (68.00 kg)

      I began backpacking at the age of 13 when I first went to summer camp (1993). In 1999, I started working with a college tripping organization in outdoor trip logistics (in gear preparation), and then as a leader. My most frequented hiking locations are in the Carolina Appalachians and the Smoky Mountains during the cold early spring and the summer. I stopped being a trip leader in 2004, and now I average about 4 backpacking trips and 4 day hikes per year. I carry between 25 and 35 lbs (11.3-15.8 kg) on multi-day trips.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Terramar
      Year of Manufacture: 2009
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.terramartsports.com
      MSRP: US$ 32.50
      Measured Weight: 3.5 oz (100 g)
      Size Available: Small-2XL (Mens), Small-XL (Womens)
      Components: 50% Merino Wool, 50% Filament Silk
      Rated as a 2 on Scale of 1-3 for warmth (3 warmest)
      Style: Crew TW7667
      Black 010

      IMAGE 1

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      Initial Impressions- The shirt is very comfortable. It feels a little looser than I am used to for a base layer, but I feel a size smaller would be too small. I hope it shrinks a little when I wash it. If it doesn't, the shirt will still work well, whether I wear a small sleeveless shirt under it or a looser shirt on top of it.
      Materials- The shirt is made of an equal parts silk and wool blend. It feels amazing. The material is soft, smooth, and very light. It also is a little stretchy. The sleeve cuff stretches less than the rest of the shirt and keeps the sleeves in place right at my wrist.
      Construction- The shirt is made of two panels, two sleeves, and a collar. The seems are all flat stitched and about 1/2 an inch (1.25 cm) wide. Seems run up the sides of the shirt under the armpits and along the underside of the arm. Two lateral seems connected from the armpit to the collar on the front and back of the shoulder (not on top). The bottom of the shirt is hemmed and the sleeves have ~2 inch (5 cm) cuffs.

      TRYING IT OUT

      The first night I had the shirt, I slept in it. I don't normally sleep in shirts because I move around alot. The shirt stayed in place well enough to not be bothersome and it kept me warm also. My only other experience so far was wearing the top under a button up shirt while travelling. The shirt kept me warm, but at the same time I didn't need to remove the shirt in warmer situations (it breathes well). It also is comfortable enough for me that I forget when I am wearing it.

      TESTING STRATEGY

      I am planning to do some backpacking, hiking, biking in cold weather and rain, and orienteering in cold conditions with this shirt. There is also probably snowboarding in the future.

      SUMMARY

      This shirt is good so far. It is comfortable, appears durable, and it is good at normalizing body temperature.

      Likes
      - smooth material
      - comfortable

      Dislikes
      - fit seems looser than I am used to (haven't washed yet)

      This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version 1.5 Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.
      Read more gear reviews by Will Dalen Rice

      Reviews > test > TESTS > IR- Terramar Therma TX- Will Rice

      All material on this site is the exclusive property of BackpackGearTest.org.
      BackpackGearTest software copyright David Anderson

      University of PhoenixOnline Programs for Busy Adults at University of Phoenix. Info Here!
      Phoenix.edu
    • Derek Hansen
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2009
        Will,

        Thank you for your report! My edits follow the standard convention:

        EDIT: Must
        Edit: Consider
        Comment: Muse

        Let me know if you have any questions, otherwise, once you've made the
        edits, feel free to upload the final and then remove the test report.

        Best,

        ~derek

        # # #

        > TERRAMAR THERMA TX SHIRT 2

        Edit: I want to confirm the title, but I think it is "Terramar Therma
        TX Silk and Wool Shirt"

        > Manufacturer: Terramar

        EDIT: Terramar Inc.

        EDIT: Website URL is: http://www.terramarsports.com

        > MSRP: US$ 32.50

        EDIT: MSRP is not listed on the manufacturer's site; please remove.

        > Measured Weight: 3.5 oz (100 g)

        Edit: If you are going to round the grams, I'd recommend doing the
        ounces as well, or leave the decimal for both: 3.5 oz is 99.2 g.

        > Rated as a 2 on Scale of 1-3 for warmth (3 warmest)

        EDIT: lowercase "scale"

        > Style: Crew TW7667
        > Black 010

        EDIT: The code "TW7667" and "010" appear to be internal product codes
        and do not really describe the product. Please remove the codes.

        Comment: You might add that "crew" is describing the neck style, and
        that it a long-sleeve shirt. I didn't see that mentioned anywhere else
        in your report.

        > IMAGE 1
        >
        > INITIAL IMPRESSIONS
        >
        > Initial Impressions- The shirt is very comfortable. It feels a
        > little looser than I am used to for a base layer, but I feel a size
        > smaller would be too small. I hope it shrinks a little when I wash
        > it. If it doesn't, the shirt will still work well, whether I wear a
        > small sleeveless shirt under it or a looser shirt on top of it.

        > Materials-

        EDIT: Please put this paragraph under your "Product Information"
        section.

        Edit/Comment: Generally, I would recommend placing general information
        about the product construction and description together under "Product
        Information/Description" and leave your review-specific information
        (e.g., "it feels amazing") under "Initial Impressions."

        > The shirt is made of an equal parts silk and wool blend.

        Edit: This sentence is a little confusing because it infers that the
        wool is some kind of blend, but what I think you mean is that the
        blend is the wool and silk together, right? You already mention the
        blend by saying, "equal parts" so you can get rid of the redundant
        word at the end, unless the wool really is a blend of two or more
        types of wool fiber.

        > Construction-

        EDIT: Please put this paragraph under your "Product Information"
        section.

        > The shirt is made of two panels, two sleeves, and a collar.

        Edit/Comment: This construction is a little tricky because the phrase
        "two panels" followed by two clauses made me, at first, read it like
        this:

        ...made of two panels: two sleeves, and a collar.

        I think you mean something like this:

        ...made of a front and back panel, two sleeves, and a collar.

        Please consider revising.

        > and about 1/2 an inch (1.25 cm) wide.

        EDIT: "1/2 in (1.25 cm) wide."
        (remove "an" and change "inch" to "in")

        > Two lateral seems connected from the armpit

        EDIT: ...connect from...

        > sleeves have ~2 inch (5 cm) cuffs.

        EDIT: change "inch" to just "in"

        Edit: I know that the tilde (~) is often used informally to denote
        approximation, but to be clear, I would recommend just stating
        explicitly:

        ...sleeves have approximately 2 in (5 cm) cuffs.

        The formal symbol for approximation is the "double tilde" or wavy
        equal sign (≈). I'm not sure Yahoo will interpret that character
        correctly or not.

        > because I move around alot.

        EDIT: a lot

        > and it kept me warm also.

        Edit: ...and it also kept me warm.

        > wearing the top under a button up shirt while travelling.

        Edit: I would recommend a different word choice than "top" here to
        refer to the shirt. Elsewhere you've been consistently referring to
        the "shirt," but perhaps a solid reference here would be helpful,
        since you refer to a "button up shirt" later in the sentence:

        ...wearing the Therma top under...

        > shirt while travelling.

        EDIT: traveling

        Comment: You might consider adding some of the variables so I better
        understand the conditions that kept you warm. You mention that you
        slept in the shirt and used it while traveling, but it would help if
        you clarified if this was done indoors (implied), in a tent outdoors,
        etc. If you have a base temperature or other environmental factors
        like wind or sun it would really make a difference.

        > TESTING STRATEGY

        EDIT: You do not need this section in your report.

        > and it is good at normalizing body temperature.

        Edit: The difficulty I have with this statement is that it projects
        something that you may or may not have experienced yet. I think a
        qualifying statement here would be important, especially for readers
        who will skip to read the summary. The shirt was good at normalizing
        your temperature indoors? While driving a car? This will be different
        than backpacking, snowboarding, or snowshoeing, so it would help to
        clarify.

        Or, you might consider a forward-looking statement like, "I can't wait
        to try this shirt while skiing; I think it will be good base layer for
        regulating my body temperature."

        EDIT: Please add the standard "thanks" statement at the end of your
        report:

        "I would like to thank Terramar and BackpackGearTest.org for the
        opportunity to test this shirt. Please check back in two months for my
        Field Report."
      • dalenmoney
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 5, 2009
          The price was listed on the packing slip. do you still want it removed?

          Will

          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hansen <derek.hansen@...> wrote:

> [...]
          >
          > Edit: The difficulty I have with this statement is that it projects
          > something that you may or may not have experienced yet. I think a
          > qualifying statement here would be important, especially for readers
          > who will skip to read the summary. The shirt was good at normalizing
          > your temperature indoors? While driving a car? This will be different
          > than backpacking, snowboarding, or snowshoeing, so it would help to
          > clarify.
          >
          > Or, you might consider a forward-looking statement like, "I can't wait
          > to try this shirt while skiing; I think it will be good base layer for
          > regulating my body temperature."
          >

          > EDIT: Please add the standard "thanks" statement at the end of your
          > report:
          >
          > "I would like to thank Terramar and BackpackGearTest.org for the
          > opportunity to test this shirt. Please check back in two months for my

        • Kathy Waters
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 6, 2009
            Will,

            Thanks for asking. Since the MSRP is not on the website or a hangtag, it would be best to delete it and just have N/A in that field.

> [...]

            > Edit: The difficulty I have with this statement is that it projects
            > something that you may or may not have experienced yet. I think a
            > qualifying statement here would be important, especially for readers
            > who will skip to read the summary. The shirt was good at normalizing
            > your temperature indoors? While driving a car? This will be different
            > than backpacking, snowboarding, or snowshoeing, so it would help to
            > clarify.
            >
            > Or, you might consider a forward-looking statement like, "I can't wait
            > to try this shirt while skiing; I think it will be good base layer for
            > regulating my body temperature."
            >

            > EDIT: Please add the standard "thanks" statement at the end of your
            > report:
            >
            > "I would like to thank Terramar and BackpackGearTest.org for the
            > opportunity to test this shirt. Please check back in two months for my

          • dalenmoney
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 6, 2009
              Done.