APPLICATION - MontBell U.L. Tec Down Jacket -Brian Hartman

  • Brian Hartman
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2009
      Please accept my application to test the Montbell UL Tec Down Jacket.  I have read the BackpackGearTest Survival Guide, version 0609, including Chapter 5, and I will follow all requirements.  I have also completed the tester agreement and submitted it as required.

      Tester Bio
      Name:  Brian Hartman
      Age: 41
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 9" (1.7 Meters)
      Weight: 145 Pounds (66 Kilograms)
      Email address: bhart1426@yahoo. com
      City, State, Country: Noblesville, Indiana, U.S.
      Date: October 28, 2009

      Backpacking Background:  I have been hiking and camping for over 20 years and enjoy backpacking solo and with my kids in Scouting.  I especially enjoy fall and winter backpacking and camping.  I like being outdoors and hiking in all kinds of conditions especially when the  snow starts flying.  My backpack and gear are older and weigh 40+ lbs (18 kg).  This has limited the distances I have been able to cover while hiking.  My goal over the next several years is to replace my existing clothing and gear with more suitable and lighter weight alternatives.

      Hiking Plans:  I am going on a three day backpacking trip to the Hoosier National Forest in Southern Indiana in late November.  The following weekend, I will be in Northern Ohio for a hiking trip.  I am also planning backpacking trips to Brookville, IN in early December and then again in late January.  Temperatures during the next three months typically range from 12 F to 38 F (-12 C to 4 C).  Indiana usually average 3-5 inches (7.6 cm) of snow per month during winter.

      Test Strategy:  I expect to wear this down jacket a lot as I tend to get cold easily.  I plan to evaluate its comfort, warmth, durability while backpacking. My current setup, which consists of a fleece jacket and Goretex hard shell is heavy and often overkill for my needs unless we are expecting mixed precipitation.  The Montbell UL Tec Dwn Jacket appears to strike the perfect balance of weight vs protection for winter backpacking.

      Thank you for considering my application and thanks to Montbell for providing the UL Tec Down Jacket for testing.

      My reports can be found at:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/crazycamper

      Currently Testing:  Sierra Designs Tent
      Bushnell Backtrack