Application to Test: Montbell U.L. Tec Down Jacket David Heyting

  • deheyting
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2009
      Thanks for the consideration!

      David H.

      Application to Test: Montbell U.L. Tec Down Jacket

      Please accept my application to test the Montbell U.L. Tec Down Jacket

      I have read and understood the current requirements in the Survival
      Guide Version 0609 and the Bylaws Version 0609 and I agree to comply with all of these
      requirements as a tester. My signed Tester Agreement is on file with
      BGT.

      Tester Information:
      Name: David Heyting
      Age: 32
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 0", 1.83 m
      Weight: 205 lb, 93 kg
      Chest: 46", 117 cm
      Waist: 38", 97 cm
      Sleeve: 36", 91 cm
      Email: deheyting@...
      City, State, Country: Snoqualmie, Washington, USA

      Backpacking Background:
      I have been hiking and backpacking for over 15 years. A great deal of the backpacking that I do is related to mountaineering and rock climbing in the Pacific Northwest. When not climbing, I'm a hiker that tries to go light in order to push more miles. My main areas of exploration are the Washington Central and North Cascades, but I have done lots of hiking in the British Columbia Coastal Range as well as the Oregon Cascades. I am also an avid adventure racer and compete in several races each year ranging from 2 hours up to several days in duration.

      Test Plan and Locations:
      If selected to test the Montbell U.L. Tec Down Jacket, I would focus on the following items: 1. at what temperatures can I wear the Jacket and still feel warm? This would be a focus on the 800 fill down. 2. How resistant to abrasion is the Jacket? For this I would test how well Montbell has used the 50-denier nylon to reinforce the Jacket. 3. How well does the Polkatex DWR treatment work? Or will the Jacket get wet and turn the down into mush? I have actually never used down before as I am live in the Northwest and have always been afraid of moisture and thus have also elected to go with a synthetic fabric. I think my skepticism will help me to thoroughly test this Jacket.

      For testing conditions, I actually have a pretty ambitious winter planned. I am planning in international climb this summer, thus I am intent on getting into shape and increasing my skill set this winter. I have tentative plans for winter ascents on Mt. Hood and Mt. Rainier (both will be based on conditions and weather), as well as some lesser Cascade Mountain peaks. I have also enrolled into an ice climbing class this January, which will be a new experience for me. And to top things off I am currently testing a tent, so some long winter night are for sure in store for me this winter. Montbell's website mentions this Jacket is designed with the mountaineer in mind. I think my current winter schedule will fit right in line with the Jacket intended use.

      Currently Testing:

      Big Sky International Revolution 2P Tent: IR in process
      Five Ten Runamuck Shoes: Still waiting for them to arrive
      Terra Nova 20L Elite backpack: Has not arrived

      Current Applications:
      None

      Please Review Other Test of Mine:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/dheyting

      Thank you to Montbell and BackpackGearTest for this opportunity!

      David H.