Test Call CLOSING - MontBell U.L. Tec Down Jacket

  • richardglyon
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2009
      This call closes tomorrow at midnight PST (GMT-8). A surprisingly short list of applicants so far, more a trickle than a flood: Jerry Adams, Ray Estrella, Brett Haydin, Andy Henrichs, Matt Mioduszewski, and Gail Staisil. Please let me know if I missed your application, with the message number. And the rest of you, get those pencils working.

      MontBell USA and BackpackGearTest.org are proud to offer three lucky testers the opportunity to put MontBell's new Tec Down Jacket through its paces this winter. The product is described here:
      Womens: http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=70&p_id=2301128
      Mens: http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=70&p_id=2301127

      Curt is the moderator, Newbie Rule definitely applies, US shipping only, Call closes at midnight PST (GMT-8) Tuesday, November 3, include "MontBell U.L. Tec Down Jacket" in the subject line. Your challenge is to keep your application short and succinct but still tell me how and when you will use this jacket in the backcountry. The mods and I are bracing ourselves for a flood of applications for this one. Good luck to all.
    • jjruhle@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2009
        APPLICATION – MontBell U.L. Tec Down Jacket - Jeff Ruhle
        Date: November 2nd, 2009

        Biographical Information

        Name: Jeff Ruhle
        Age: 22
        Gender: M
        Height: 6'3"
        Weight: 175
        Email Address: jjruhle@...
        City, State, and Country: Winter Park, CO, USA

        Backpacking Background:
        I developed a love for backpacking while spending the semester abroad in New Zealand. I enjoy playing games and seeing how little I can pack to keep my pack light, however, I always pack a lot of food. My favorite terrain is steep, rugged, alpine terrain with more vertical and less horizontal. Living in New England, I find a lot of this terrain since the trail makers don't seem to make many switchbacks. I also am highly involved in a large number of other outdoor activities like skiing, kayaking, climbing, and biking. Generally, I like to push my comfort zone.

        Outdoor Field Information:
        For outdoor testing, I would be testing this jacket on short backpacking, hiking, skiing, and climbing trips in the Colorado High Mountains. In the mountains right now, the temperatures during the day are already down to 25-35 F (-3.88-1.67 C). I do a lot of back-country ski touring, ice climbing, and mountaineering, so I spend plenty of time outside in the winter and would have ample opportunity to test this jacket in a variety of conditions. Fraser Valley is often called the icebox of the nation. Cold air just settles into the valley making it snotsicle forming cold, so a high loft insulating jacket can surely be tested well.

        During November, I have two trips planned. The first is a day trip to Byers Peak. The elevation gain of the planned route is 3000 and the mileage is 7.6. The second trip is a four day Thanksgiving weekend trip to Rocky Mountain National Park. The routes are still being planned. Beyond November I do not know my work schedule, so I cannot make definite plans. Traditionally, however, I am outside with every spare day I get. I also have a room mate whom also climbs, so there are bound to be many spontaneous ice climbing trips. While belaying, a puffy is almost a necessity.

        Test Specific Questions (aside from the basics):
        -At 10,000+ feet, every ounce is critical. How light is this ultra-light compared to the warmth it provides.
        -I can't see the hand pockets in the product picture. Are they high enough so they don't get blocked by my packs hip belt?
        -How durable is it; say to ski edges while I am carrying them over my shoulder?
        -Are there any performance issues when I put it under my climbing harness?
        -Can its 100-wash rated coating really stand up to 100 washes?
        -Are there any high stress points that look like they may be problematic in the future?

        Current Tests:
        My test load is low at the moment, with only 2 tests, one just awaiting an edit to be finished:
        -Oboz Teton Suede Trailshoes – LTR submitted, awaiting edit
        -M-ROCK DSLR Camera System – LTR due November 24th

        Owner Reviews:
        -Coleman Exponent Feather 442
        -Marmot Meta Softshell Jacket

        Applications Pending:
        -Atlas Series 11 Snowshoes

        My two ORs and tests can be seen at the following link:
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/jjruhle

        Thanks for taking the time to read my application and I hope that you will accept it,
        Jeff Ruhle
      • Thomas Vickers
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2009
          Thank you to everyone who applied. The three lucky testers are

          Brett Haydin
          William Rice
          Larry Kirschner

          I need the usual sent to me off list (redroach@...)

          Name
          Address
          Phone
          Email

          Any other item specific information

          Thanks again,

          TV
        • Thomas Vickers
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3, 2009
            Thanks to all who applied, this was another tough selection.

            The three lucky testers are;
            Jason Boyle
            Mike Wheiler
            Andrew Buskov

            I need all three of these gentlemen to send me their info off list
            (redroach@...)

            Name
            Address
            Phone