Test Call CLOSING - Atlas 11/Elektra 11 Snowshoes

  • richardglyon
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2009
      This call closes tonight at midnight PST (GMT-8). I have applications from Ryan Christensen, Derek Hansen, Brett Haydin, Jeremy Laporte, Ben Mansfield, Arnold Peterson, Bob Sanders, Gail Staisil, and Mike Wilkie. If I missed yours, please advise, with a message number. Thanks, Richard

      Here's your chance to do your testing in the snow.

      BackpackGearTest.org and Atlas Snow Shoe Company are offering three pairs of Atlas's 11 (for men) or Elektra 11 (for women) "top end" snowshoes for you. You can drool over them at Mens: http://atlassnowshoe.com/product/11 and Womens: http://atlassnowshoe.com/product/e11

      Details – TV is the monitor; US shipping only, Newbie limit DOES apply, test closes at midnight PST (GMT-8) on Monday, November 2. Please include "Atlas 11" or "Atlas Elektra 11" as appropriate in the subject line of your application, and keep the applications short and to the point. Good luck to all.
    • jjruhle@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2009
        APPLICATION – Atlas 11 Series Snowshoes - Jeff Ruhle
        Date: November 2nd, 2009

        Biographical Information

        Name: Jeff Ruhle
        Age: 22
        Gender: M
        Height: 6'3"
        Weight: 175
        Email Address: jjruhle@...
        City, State, and Country: Winter Park, CO, USA

        Test Specific Information:
        Foot Size – 11.5

        Backpacking Background:
        I developed a love for backpacking while spending the semester abroad in New Zealand. I enjoy playing games and seeing how little I can pack to keep my pack light, however, I always pack a lot of food. My favorite terrain is steep, rugged, alpine terrain with more vertical and less horizontal. Living in New England, I find a lot of this terrain since the trail makers don't seem to make many switchbacks. I also am highly involved in a large number of other outdoor activities like skiing, kayaking, climbing, and biking. Generally, I like to push my comfort zone.

        Outdoor Field Information:
        For outdoor testing, I would be testing these snow shoes on short backpacking and hiking trips in the Colorado High Mountains. We already have a fair amount of snow on the ground. I do a lot of back-country ski touring, ice climbing, and mountaineering, so I spend plenty of time outside in the winter and would have ample opportunity to test this jacket in a variety of conditions. With the light, fluffy snow that is here, quality snowshoes can really prove themselves.

        During November, I have two trips planned. The first is a day trip to Byers Peak. The elevation gain of the planned route is 3000 and the mileage is 7.6. The second trip is a four day Thanksgiving weekend trip to Rocky Mountain National Park. The routes are still being planned. Beyond November I do not know my work schedule, so I cannot make definite plans. Traditionally, however, I am outside with every spare day I get.

        Test Specific Questions (aside from the basics):
        -Being "top-end performance" gear, are they responsive and stable enough to run in?
        -If I start out the day skinning on my skis, will they work on my telemark boots?
        -How is the traction on icy and rocky ridgelines and ledges? How quickly do the All-Trac crampons dull in such conditions?
        -How well do they attach to my pack while I am skinning?
        -Most snowshoes ascend reasonably well, but how do these fare on the descent? The description of their Spring Loaded Suspension makes it seems like these will do particularly well.

        Current Tests:
        My test load is low at the moment, with only 2 tests, one just awaiting an edit to be finished:
        -Oboz Teton Suede Trailshoes – LTR submitted, awaiting edit
        -M-ROCK DSLR Camera System – LTR due November 24th

        Owner Reviews:
        -Coleman Exponent Feather 442
        -Marmot Meta Softshell Jacket

        Applications Pending:
        I have not other applications pending at this time.

        My two ORs and tests can be seen at the following link:
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/jjruhle

        Thanks for taking the time to read my application and I hope that you will accept it,
        Jeff Ruhle