IR - Hennessy Hammock Deep Jungle Hammock - Thomas VIckers

  • Thomas Vickers
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2009
      HTml here
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-HHDJH-Thomas%20Vickers/

      Hennessy Hammock Deep Jungle Hammock

      Initial Report - November 1, 2009

      Thomas Vickers

      41 years old
      Male
      5 ft 11 in tall (1.8 m)
      175 lb (79 kg)
      redroach@...
      Southeast Texas, Houston Area

      Tester Background:
      I grew up in the piney woods of southeast Texas. Camping was a quick
      trip into the mosquito-infested woods behind the house. My style has
      evolved and over the last 4 or 5 years, I have begun to take a lighter
      weight approach to hiking gear (I still use sleeping bags and tents,
      just lighter versions). While I have flirted with lightweight hiking, I
      feel that I am more of a mid-weight hiker now. My philosophy is one of
      comfort, while carrying the lightest load possible.

      Initial Report
      November 1, 2009
      IMG_0074.JPG (4752595 bytes)

      Manufacturer Information:

      Manufacturer: Hennessy Hammocks

      Website: http://hennessyhammock.com/

      Year Manufactured: 2009

      MSRP: $ 269.00 US

      Weight: 2 lb 8 oz (1,120 g)

      Height Limit: up to 6 ft / up to 182.9cm

      Weight limit: 250 lbs / 115kg

      SNAKE SKINS 4:
      84" long
      8 1/2" circumference at wide end
      2 1/2" circumference at narrow end
      Information From Tester:
      (all measurements approximate)

      Weight:
      Hammock: 1 lb 13.65 oz (841 g)
      Fly: 10.45 oz (295 g)
      Snakeskins 4 (x2): 1 oz (29 g)
      Tree huggers (x2): 0.85 oz (24 g)
      Stuff sack: 0.95 oz (33 g)
      Reflective pad: 10.55 oz (299 g)

      Measurements:
      Hammock: 85 x 47 in (216 x 119 cm)

      Suspension cords (x2): 97 in (246 cm)

      Fly: 65 x 90 in (165 x 229 cm)

      Snakeskins 4: 4 in (10 cm) [tapering to 2 in/4 cm] x 82 in (208 cm)

      Tree huggers: 1 x 46 in (2.5 x 117 cm)

      Reflective pad: 29.5 in (75 cm) [tapering to 16 in/41 cm] x 66 in (168 cm)

      Stuff sack: 10 x 13 in (25 x 33 cm)

      Initial tester expectations:
      I always enjoy the Hennessy website because I can stare at hammocks for
      hours wondering if I need another one. The site is easy to navigate and
      I really do like the hammock comparison page that lets me see how the
      models differ at a glance. I had a slight issue with my visit to find
      out about the Deep Jungle hammock was that the description (see below)
      was a bit vague and caused me to dig around the site to find information
      on the Hyperlight hammock as well. I was also wondering if there were
      more pictures of the Deep Jungle (thumbnail was a bit fuzzy), but when I
      clicked on the picture to make it larger I was sent to the Expedition
      Asym Hammock page. Confusing to be sure, but at least I knew a little
      bit about what I was supposed to be getting.

      Manufacturer's description:
      "A hyperlight hammock with a side zipper and a breathable double-layered
      body. Can be used with radiant reflecting bubble pad which attaches
      on the diagonal between the layers to convert the hammock into a
      mosquito-proof 3-season shelter."

      Tester's Description:
      The one thing I have always enjoyed about getting a new Hennessy Hammock
      in the mail or at the store is the nice, neat, and compact way
      everything comes packaged.

      IMG_0070.JPG (4359473 bytes)

      This time around was no different. Once I got everything out and
      organzied I found that I had recieved a Deep Jungle Hammock, rain fly,
      set of tree huggers, a set of snakeskins, and a reflective bubble pad.
      The first thing I did was unpack everything, hang the hammock, then
      start poking around. The hammock itself appears to be a basic
      asmyetrical hammock. The body is made of a striped fabric that looks
      like Dyneema to me, but feels way softer and more pliable. It was very
      hard to uncover, but the fabric on the bottom of this hammock is doubled
      so that there is an empty space between the layers. The openings for
      this double bottom were hard to find, but I finally found them. They
      are there to allow the insertion of the bubble pad into the void between
      the layers.

      IMG_0078.JPG (4444677 bytes)

      The first opening I found was on the right hand side (lying in the
      hammock) of the Deep Jungle next too the tie out point on the foot of
      the hammock. This was the larger of the two openings and it took a
      detailed inspection (and some guessing) on my part to locate it.

      IMG_0079.JPG (4223549 bytes)

      The second and smaller opening was located along the left hand side
      (lying in the hammock) next to the tie out point on the head of the
      hammock. After some playing and fiddling I discovered that the bubble
      pad goes in through the larger opening, unrolls and has tie out cords
      that extend out of both openings in the hammocks and attach to the asym
      tie out points on the exterior of the hammock body.

      IMG_0075.JPG (4914303 bytes)

      The basics are also in place on the Deep Jungle Hammock. The bug net,
      ridge line, mesh interior pocket (hangs from ridgeline), asym tie out
      cords, and hanging cords are all there like I expected. The big suprise
      is that instead of a bottom loading hammock, the Deep Jungle has a
      zipper that runs the entire length of the left hand side (lying in the
      hammock). This allows (see above) the bug netting to be folded back out
      of the way and makes the Deep Jungle a side loading hammock. The
      attention to detail on the construction really caught me by surprise.
      Not only does the bug net unzip and fold out of the way, but there is a
      small hook and loop closure that allows the netting to be secure out
      of the way so that it will not flop over into the hammock.

      After my first and second inspections of the Deep Jungle Hammock I came
      away fairly impressed. The double bottom construction was not only
      intersting, but it was also well hidden and hard to distinguish without
      some effort. The overall construction of the hammock was very sound and
      professional. No loose threads, rough seams, or other defects were
      visible. Most noticable to me though, was the fact that while this is a
      full featured hammock, it seems to be constructed to a very minimalist
      model. It appears to do everything it is supposed to, but is built to be
      light wieght and without any excess materials adding weight or bulk.

      The extras:
      While the tree huggers that came with the Deep Jungle Hammock are not
      extras because every Hennessy Hammock comes with a set, I am going to
      lump them with the 'other stuff' that came with the hammock. The stock
      tree huggers are a bit short for me and I will probably be using my
      longer set to hang this hammock. I do enjoy the fact that I own several
      sets of tree huggers and they all tend to be very well constructed and
      rugged. The new set that arrived with the Deep Jungle do not appear to
      be any different. Now I have a hard time believing that it is possible
      to mess up webbing straps with stiched loops on the ends (construction
      wise), but I the new set is of the same quality I have come to expect
      from Hennessy Hammocks.

      IMG_0067.JPG (763492 bytes)

      A set of Snake Skin 4 (refers to size I think) was also included with
      the Deep Jungle. The snake skins are basically tapered tubes of
      silnylon that are hung on the suspension cords of the Deep Jungle. When
      I need to take the Deep Jungle down, I simply slide the snake skins down
      the length of the still hanging hammock and stuff everything inside of
      them as I extend them. When done, I have two long 'snakes' full of
      hammock that are very easy to take down and stuff in a pack. I was not
      really convinced about the utililty of snake skins until I finally tried
      them. They really do make putting up and taking down a hammock a quick
      and easy exercise.

      IMG_0072.JPG (2400425 bytes)

      Last, but not least, there was a large bubble mat included with the Deep
      Jungle. This is a tapered lenght of bubble pad (like bubble wrap) that
      is sandwhiched between two layers of reflective foil. The pad is
      obviously cut to fit in the double bottome of the hammock and includes
      to cords that extend out of the hammock bottom and attach to the asym
      tie outs on the hammock body.

      IMG_0073.JPG (4696092 bytes)

      The bubble mat is well constructed. The tie out cords are attached to
      metal grommets and the edges are taped and sewn. There is nothing
      'rough' about this pad and I was surprised at the quality put into
      constructing it. Part of me had expected something that was more
      'thrown' together, but it was not. Again the attention to detail in
      Hennessy's construction methods is nice and gives me a bit more
      confidence in the survivability of these items on the trail.

      Final thoughts:
      I cannot wait to get out and see how well it feels to hang in this
      hammock. I do have some concerns, but only climbing in and seeing how it
      fits will answer my questions. The Deep Jungle is designed for people my
      size (height and wieght), but from my initial hanging of it, it looks
      small. I was not able to climb into it yet, so this may be a seriously
      unfounded fear, but it is a first impression I need to check out. Other
      than that I am excited about this test. This hammock obviously uses a
      material that I have not experienced in a Hennessy Hammock, but it does
      look and feel rather nice. It does not seem to have the 'crinkly' feel
      or sound of nylon and I am hoping that this means it will be more quiet
      to hand and sleep on.

      I have already inserted the bubble mat into the hammock to see just how
      difficult it is to do. It was not the easiest task to get the wide end
      of the mat into the large opening, but once I got it inserted all I had
      to do to position it correctly was to push the mat toward the head of
      the hammock, reach through the smaller opening and full the wide end
      toward the head, pull the smaller end to the foot end of the hammock,
      then attach the cords to hammock body. The first try was successful and
      while it is not a time comsuming process, it was not as easy as I had
      liked. The bubble mat tries to roll up on the narrow end and I know that
      putting a body and feet in the hammock will hold the pad in place, it is
      a bit frustrating to keep unrolling it time after time when installing it.

      Things I like:
      1. Hammock fabric is soft
      2. Side zip opening
      3. Does not seem to be 'over built'

      Things I don't like:
      1.Openings on double bottom are small and difficult to find
      2.A little more effort is needed to install the bubble mat than I expected

      Please check back in about two months for further test results on the
      Hennessy Hammock Deep Jungle Hammock..
    • Andrew Buskov
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2009
        Nice report Thomas. I especially like the pictures. I don't know if you
        planned it this way or what, but the picture of the bubble pad on the tile
        floor was ingenious! At first, I thought the camera was tilted and this was
        the reason for the tapered pad. Then after staring at the pic a minute I
        realized the tile lines were perpendicular. A great use of background to
        convey sizing proportions.

        AB

        > Hennessy Hammock Deep Jungle Hammock
        >
        > Initial Report - November 1, 2009
        >
        > Thomas Vickers
      • Thomas Vickers
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2009
          12 x 12 tiles tell the tale.
          Lighting was off, but I can't be perfect.

          I use this background for a lot of gear pictures, I should probably note
          the tile size in a report some day.

          TV
        • Bob Sanders
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 2, 2009
            Hi Thomas,

            Here are your edits for the Hennessy Hammock Deep Jungle Hammock.

            Overall, excellent report and good use of photos. Seems to be lots of
            extra spaces. Could be yahoo.

            You know the drill.

            Bob

            > SNAKE SKINS 4:
            > 84" long
            > 8 1/2" circumference at wide end
            > 2 1/2" circumference at narrow end
            > Information From Tester:
            > (all measurements approximate)
            >
            > Weight:
            > Hammock: 1 lb 13.65 oz (841 g)
            > Fly: 10.45 oz (295 g)
            > Snakeskins 4 (x2): 1 oz (29 g)
            > Tree huggers (x2): 0.85 oz (24 g)
            > Stuff sack: 0.95 oz (33 g)
            > Reflective pad: 10.55 oz (299 g)
            >
            > Measurements:
            > Hammock: 85 x 47 in (216 x 119 cm)
            >
            > Suspension cords (x2): 97 in (246 cm)
            >
            > Fly: 65 x 90 in (165 x 229 cm)
            >
            > Snakeskins 4: 4 in (10 cm) [tapering to 2 in/4 cm] x 82 in (208 cm)

            Edit: For consistency Snakeskins should be Snake Skins. I checked on
            the website and in most places it is 2 words.

            > Initial tester expectations:
            > I always enjoy the Hennessy website because I can stare at hammocks
            > for
            > hours wondering if I need another one. The site is easy to navigate
            > and

            EDIT: Double space before "The"

            > was a bit vague and caused me to dig around the site to find
            > information
            > on the Hyperlight hammock as well. I was also wondering if there were

            EDIT: Double space before "I"

            > Manufacturer's description:
            > "A hyperlight hammock with a side zipper and a breathable double-
            > layered
            > body. Can be used with radiant reflecting bubble pad which attaches
            > on the diagonal between the layers to convert the hammock into a
            > mosquito-proof 3-season shelter."

            EDIT: Triple space before "Can" double space before "radiant" and
            double space before "hammock"

            > This time around was no different. Once I got everything out and
            > organzied I found that I had recieved a Deep Jungle Hammock, rain fly,
            > set of tree huggers, a set of snakeskins, and a reflective bubble pad.

            Edit: "snakeskins" should be snake skins

            > ....this double bottom were hard to find, but I finally found them.
            > They
            > are there to allow the insertion of the bubble pad into the void
            > between
            > the layers.

            EDIT: double space before "They"

            > ...the hammock. This was the larger of the two openings and it
            > took a
            > detailed inspection (and some guessing) on my part to locate it.

            EDIT: Triple space before "This"

            > IMG_0079.JPG (4223549 bytes)
            >
            > The second and smaller opening was located along the left hand side
            > (lying in the hammock) next to the tie out point on the head of the
            > hammock. After some playing and fiddling I discovered that the bubble

            EDIT: Double space before "After"

            > The basics are also in place on the Deep Jungle Hammock. The bug
            > net,

            EDIT: Double space before "on" and triple space before "The"

            "
            > of the way and makes the Deep Jungle a side loading hammock. The
            > attention to detail on the construction really caught me by surprise.
            > Not only does the bug net unzip and fold out of the way, but there
            > is a
            > small hook and loop closure that allows the netting to be secure out
            > of the way so that it will not flop over into the hammock.

            EDIT: Triple space before "The" and triple space before "that" and
            double space before "so"

            > model. It appears to do everything it is supposed to, but is built
            > to be
            > light wieght and without any excess materials adding weight or bulk.

            EDIT: "wieght" should be "weight"

            > lump them with the 'other stuff' that came with the hammock. The
            > stock

            EDIT: Double space before "The"

            > tree huggers are a bit short for me and I will probably be using my
            > longer set to hang this hammock.

            Comment: Shouldn't you use what was supplied with the hammock and make
            a note of it in your report stating that the straps are too short.

            > A set of Snake Skin 4 (refers to size I think) was also included with
            > the Deep Jungle. The snake skins are basically tapered tubes of

            EDIT: Triple space before "The"

            > hammock that are very easy to take down and stuff in a pack. I was
            > not

            EDIT: Double space before "I"

            > obviously cut to fit in the double bottome of the hammock and includes

            EDIT" "bottome" should be "bottom"

            > unfounded fear, but it is a first impression I need to check out.
            > Other
            > than that I am excited about this test. This hammock obviously uses a

            EDIT: Double space before "Other" and "This"

            > I have already inserted the bubble mat into the hammock to see just
            > how
            > difficult it is to do. It was not the easiest task to get the wide
            > end

            EDIT: Double space before "It"