IR - Nomad Hiking Trail Journal - DLarsen

  • vicioushillbilly
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2009
      Journal #1 report. URL is: http://tinyurl.com/yhnlbrw

      Nomad Hiking Trail Journal
      Initial Report

      Name: Dawn Larsen
      Age: 48
      Gender: female
      Height: 5' 4" (163 cm)
      Weight: 165 lb (75 kg)
      Email address: vicioushillbilly AT gmail DOT com
      Florence, South Carolina USA

      Backpacking Background:
      I used to backpack in college a zillion years ago and just in the last few years have backpacked some private trails in Tennessee, Missouri and most recently South Carolina. I have been an avid car-camper for eleven years and I have kayak/canoe camped for four years, both in South Carolina, Tennessee, Missouri and Arkansas. I use a lot of the same equipment for both. I hike hilly/rocky trails especially in Missouri (my home state) and Arkansas. I live in South Carolina and am busy checking out the terrain here with my sixteen year-old son.

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: Nomad
      Year of Manufacture: 2008
      Listed Dimensions of Journal: 4 x 5 (102 x 127 mm)
      Actual Dimensions of Journal: 3.75 x 5 (95 x 127mm)
      Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price: $8.50 US

      website image
      picture courtesy of Nomad website

      Production Description

      This small spiral-bound journal is waterproof and tearproof. There are 82 pages that allow for 36 daily entries. There are entry areas including:

      * Trail location and type
      * Trail conditions
      * Distance traveled
      * Destinations
      * Pack contents and weight
      * GPS coordinates
      * Weather conditions
      * Plenty of room for extra notes

      sample page image
      picture courtesy of Nomad website

      Initial Impressions
      The Nomad hiking-trail journal seems just the right size to stuff into a backpack or daypack. It does not have a closure, however, and I will test to see if the pages get routinely bent because there is not way to keep it shut. The first thing I wanted to see was what kind of media would write on the waterproof pages as I was concerned that waterproof paper would not take pencil or ink well. See the picture below. It not only accepts pencil and pen, but marker and colored pencil too! Additionally, it would not tear, but did bend, although the crease mark was not very noticeable. It tore away from the spiral. I also held the page under a running faucet. It held everything but the marker.

      mypage wet page

      The only drawback for me personally, is that I sort of like to keep all my camping/hiking information in one place at home. Because this journal is so small, I would probably feel like transferring the information to a bigger journal, just because I'm afraid I might lose it.

      Summary
      I think this small journal really might be just the right thing for backpacking because it is so small and durable. I look forward to trying it out soon on the trail as it seems to be a very wet fall here in South Carolina.

      What I Like So Far
      It is tearproof
      It is small

      What I Don't Like So Far
      I'm afraid that I might lose it after I get home because it is so small.

      This concludes my initial report. My field report will follow in about two months. Many thanks to Nomad and Backpackgeartest.org for allowing me to test the Nomad Adventure Hiking Trail Journal.
    • Thomas Vickers
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2009
        HTml here
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-HHDJH-Thomas%20Vickers/

        Hennessy Hammock Deep Jungle Hammock

        Initial Report - November 1, 2009

        Thomas Vickers

        41 years old
        Male
        5 ft 11 in tall (1.8 m)
        175 lb (79 kg)
        redroach@...
        Southeast Texas, Houston Area

        Tester Background:
        I grew up in the piney woods of southeast Texas. Camping was a quick
        trip into the mosquito-infested woods behind the house. My style has
        evolved and over the last 4 or 5 years, I have begun to take a lighter
        weight approach to hiking gear (I still use sleeping bags and tents,
        just lighter versions). While I have flirted with lightweight hiking, I
        feel that I am more of a mid-weight hiker now. My philosophy is one of
        comfort, while carrying the lightest load possible.

        Initial Report
        November 1, 2009
        IMG_0074.JPG (4752595 bytes)

        Manufacturer Information:

        Manufacturer: Hennessy Hammocks

        Website: http://hennessyhammock.com/

        Year Manufactured: 2009

        MSRP: $ 269.00 US

        Weight: 2 lb 8 oz (1,120 g)

        Height Limit: up to 6 ft / up to 182.9cm

        Weight limit: 250 lbs / 115kg

        SNAKE SKINS 4:
        84" long
        8 1/2" circumference at wide end
        2 1/2" circumference at narrow end
        Information From Tester:
        (all measurements approximate)

        Weight:
        Hammock: 1 lb 13.65 oz (841 g)
        Fly: 10.45 oz (295 g)
        Snakeskins 4 (x2): 1 oz (29 g)
        Tree huggers (x2): 0.85 oz (24 g)
        Stuff sack: 0.95 oz (33 g)
        Reflective pad: 10.55 oz (299 g)

        Measurements:
        Hammock: 85 x 47 in (216 x 119 cm)

        Suspension cords (x2): 97 in (246 cm)

        Fly: 65 x 90 in (165 x 229 cm)

        Snakeskins 4: 4 in (10 cm) [tapering to 2 in/4 cm] x 82 in (208 cm)

        Tree huggers: 1 x 46 in (2.5 x 117 cm)

        Reflective pad: 29.5 in (75 cm) [tapering to 16 in/41 cm] x 66 in (168 cm)

        Stuff sack: 10 x 13 in (25 x 33 cm)

        Initial tester expectations:
        I always enjoy the Hennessy website because I can stare at hammocks for
        hours wondering if I need another one. The site is easy to navigate and
        I really do like the hammock comparison page that lets me see how the
        models differ at a glance. I had a slight issue with my visit to find
        out about the Deep Jungle hammock was that the description (see below)
        was a bit vague and caused me to dig around the site to find information
        on the Hyperlight hammock as well. I was also wondering if there were
        more pictures of the Deep Jungle (thumbnail was a bit fuzzy), but when I
        clicked on the picture to make it larger I was sent to the Expedition
        Asym Hammock page. Confusing to be sure, but at least I knew a little
        bit about what I was supposed to be getting.

        Manufacturer's description:
        "A hyperlight hammock with a side zipper and a breathable double-layered
        body. Can be used with radiant reflecting bubble pad which attaches
        on the diagonal between the layers to convert the hammock into a
        mosquito-proof 3-season shelter."

        Tester's Description:
        The one thing I have always enjoyed about getting a new Hennessy Hammock
        in the mail or at the store is the nice, neat, and compact way
        everything comes packaged.

        IMG_0070.JPG (4359473 bytes)

        This time around was no different. Once I got everything out and
        organzied I found that I had recieved a Deep Jungle Hammock, rain fly,
        set of tree huggers, a set of snakeskins, and a reflective bubble pad.
        The first thing I did was unpack everything, hang the hammock, then
        start poking around. The hammock itself appears to be a basic
        asmyetrical hammock. The body is made of a striped fabric that looks
        like Dyneema to me, but feels way softer and more pliable. It was very
        hard to uncover, but the fabric on the bottom of this hammock is doubled
        so that there is an empty space between the layers. The openings for
        this double bottom were hard to find, but I finally found them. They
        are there to allow the insertion of the bubble pad into the void between
        the layers.

        IMG_0078.JPG (4444677 bytes)

        The first opening I found was on the right hand side (lying in the
        hammock) of the Deep Jungle next too the tie out point on the foot of
        the hammock. This was the larger of the two openings and it took a
        detailed inspection (and some guessing) on my part to locate it.

        IMG_0079.JPG (4223549 bytes)

        The second and smaller opening was located along the left hand side
        (lying in the hammock) next to the tie out point on the head of the
        hammock. After some playing and fiddling I discovered that the bubble
        pad goes in through the larger opening, unrolls and has tie out cords
        that extend out of both openings in the hammocks and attach to the asym
        tie out points on the exterior of the hammock body.

        IMG_0075.JPG (4914303 bytes)

        The basics are also in place on the Deep Jungle Hammock. The bug net,
        ridge line, mesh interior pocket (hangs from ridgeline), asym tie out
        cords, and hanging cords are all there like I expected. The big suprise
        is that instead of a bottom loading hammock, the Deep Jungle has a
        zipper that runs the entire length of the left hand side (lying in the
        hammock). This allows (see above) the bug netting to be folded back out
        of the way and makes the Deep Jungle a side loading hammock. The
        attention to detail on the construction really caught me by surprise.
        Not only does the bug net unzip and fold out of the way, but there is a
        small hook and loop closure that allows the netting to be secure out
        of the way so that it will not flop over into the hammock.

        After my first and second inspections of the Deep Jungle Hammock I came
        away fairly impressed. The double bottom construction was not only
        intersting, but it was also well hidden and hard to distinguish without
        some effort. The overall construction of the hammock was very sound and
        professional. No loose threads, rough seams, or other defects were
        visible. Most noticable to me though, was the fact that while this is a
        full featured hammock, it seems to be constructed to a very minimalist
        model. It appears to do everything it is supposed to, but is built to be
        light wieght and without any excess materials adding weight or bulk.

        The extras:
        While the tree huggers that came with the Deep Jungle Hammock are not
        extras because every Hennessy Hammock comes with a set, I am going to
        lump them with the 'other stuff' that came with the hammock. The stock
        tree huggers are a bit short for me and I will probably be using my
        longer set to hang this hammock. I do enjoy the fact that I own several
        sets of tree huggers and they all tend to be very well constructed and
        rugged. The new set that arrived with the Deep Jungle do not appear to
        be any different. Now I have a hard time believing that it is possible
        to mess up webbing straps with stiched loops on the ends (construction
        wise), but I the new set is of the same quality I have come to expect
        from Hennessy Hammocks.

        IMG_0067.JPG (763492 bytes)

        A set of Snake Skin 4 (refers to size I think) was also included with
        the Deep Jungle. The snake skins are basically tapered tubes of
        silnylon that are hung on the suspension cords of the Deep Jungle. When
        I need to take the Deep Jungle down, I simply slide the snake skins down
        the length of the still hanging hammock and stuff everything inside of
        them as I extend them. When done, I have two long 'snakes' full of
        hammock that are very easy to take down and stuff in a pack. I was not
        really convinced about the utililty of snake skins until I finally tried
        them. They really do make putting up and taking down a hammock a quick
        and easy exercise.

        IMG_0072.JPG (2400425 bytes)

        Last, but not least, there was a large bubble mat included with the Deep
        Jungle. This is a tapered lenght of bubble pad (like bubble wrap) that
        is sandwhiched between two layers of reflective foil. The pad is
        obviously cut to fit in the double bottome of the hammock and includes
        to cords that extend out of the hammock bottom and attach to the asym
        tie outs on the hammock body.

        IMG_0073.JPG (4696092 bytes)

        The bubble mat is well constructed. The tie out cords are attached to
        metal grommets and the edges are taped and sewn. There is nothing
        'rough' about this pad and I was surprised at the quality put into
        constructing it. Part of me had expected something that was more
        'thrown' together, but it was not. Again the attention to detail in
        Hennessy's construction methods is nice and gives me a bit more
        confidence in the survivability of these items on the trail.

        Final thoughts:
        I cannot wait to get out and see how well it feels to hang in this
        hammock. I do have some concerns, but only climbing in and seeing how it
        fits will answer my questions. The Deep Jungle is designed for people my
        size (height and wieght), but from my initial hanging of it, it looks
        small. I was not able to climb into it yet, so this may be a seriously
        unfounded fear, but it is a first impression I need to check out. Other
        than that I am excited about this test. This hammock obviously uses a
        material that I have not experienced in a Hennessy Hammock, but it does
        look and feel rather nice. It does not seem to have the 'crinkly' feel
        or sound of nylon and I am hoping that this means it will be more quiet
        to hand and sleep on.

        I have already inserted the bubble mat into the hammock to see just how
        difficult it is to do. It was not the easiest task to get the wide end
        of the mat into the large opening, but once I got it inserted all I had
        to do to position it correctly was to push the mat toward the head of
        the hammock, reach through the smaller opening and full the wide end
        toward the head, pull the smaller end to the foot end of the hammock,
        then attach the cords to hammock body. The first try was successful and
        while it is not a time comsuming process, it was not as easy as I had
        liked. The bubble mat tries to roll up on the narrow end and I know that
        putting a body and feet in the hammock will hold the pad in place, it is
        a bit frustrating to keep unrolling it time after time when installing it.

        Things I like:
        1. Hammock fabric is soft
        2. Side zip opening
        3. Does not seem to be 'over built'

        Things I don't like:
        1.Openings on double bottom are small and difficult to find
        2.A little more effort is needed to install the bubble mat than I expected

        Please check back in about two months for further test results on the
        Hennessy Hammock Deep Jungle Hammock..
      • Andrew Buskov
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2009
          Nice report Thomas. I especially like the pictures. I don't know if you
          planned it this way or what, but the picture of the bubble pad on the tile
          floor was ingenious! At first, I thought the camera was tilted and this was
          the reason for the tapered pad. Then after staring at the pic a minute I
          realized the tile lines were perpendicular. A great use of background to
          convey sizing proportions.

          AB

          > Hennessy Hammock Deep Jungle Hammock
          >
          > Initial Report - November 1, 2009
          >
          > Thomas Vickers
        • Thomas Vickers
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2009
            12 x 12 tiles tell the tale.
            Lighting was off, but I can't be perfect.

            I use this background for a lot of gear pictures, I should probably note
            the tile size in a report some day.

            TV
          • Bob Sanders
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 2, 2009
              Hi Thomas,

              Here are your edits for the Hennessy Hammock Deep Jungle Hammock.

              Overall, excellent report and good use of photos. Seems to be lots of
              extra spaces. Could be yahoo.

              You know the drill.

              Bob

              > SNAKE SKINS 4:
              > 84" long
              > 8 1/2" circumference at wide end
              > 2 1/2" circumference at narrow end
              > Information From Tester:
              > (all measurements approximate)
              >
              > Weight:
              > Hammock: 1 lb 13.65 oz (841 g)
              > Fly: 10.45 oz (295 g)
              > Snakeskins 4 (x2): 1 oz (29 g)
              > Tree huggers (x2): 0.85 oz (24 g)
              > Stuff sack: 0.95 oz (33 g)
              > Reflective pad: 10.55 oz (299 g)
              >
              > Measurements:
              > Hammock: 85 x 47 in (216 x 119 cm)
              >
              > Suspension cords (x2): 97 in (246 cm)
              >
              > Fly: 65 x 90 in (165 x 229 cm)
              >
              > Snakeskins 4: 4 in (10 cm) [tapering to 2 in/4 cm] x 82 in (208 cm)

              Edit: For consistency Snakeskins should be Snake Skins. I checked on
              the website and in most places it is 2 words.

              > Initial tester expectations:
              > I always enjoy the Hennessy website because I can stare at hammocks
              > for
              > hours wondering if I need another one. The site is easy to navigate
              > and

              EDIT: Double space before "The"

              > was a bit vague and caused me to dig around the site to find
              > information
              > on the Hyperlight hammock as well. I was also wondering if there were

              EDIT: Double space before "I"

              > Manufacturer's description:
              > "A hyperlight hammock with a side zipper and a breathable double-
              > layered
              > body. Can be used with radiant reflecting bubble pad which attaches
              > on the diagonal between the layers to convert the hammock into a
              > mosquito-proof 3-season shelter."

              EDIT: Triple space before "Can" double space before "radiant" and
              double space before "hammock"

              > This time around was no different. Once I got everything out and
              > organzied I found that I had recieved a Deep Jungle Hammock, rain fly,
              > set of tree huggers, a set of snakeskins, and a reflective bubble pad.

              Edit: "snakeskins" should be snake skins

              > ....this double bottom were hard to find, but I finally found them.
              > They
              > are there to allow the insertion of the bubble pad into the void
              > between
              > the layers.

              EDIT: double space before "They"

              > ...the hammock. This was the larger of the two openings and it
              > took a
              > detailed inspection (and some guessing) on my part to locate it.

              EDIT: Triple space before "This"

              > IMG_0079.JPG (4223549 bytes)
              >
              > The second and smaller opening was located along the left hand side
              > (lying in the hammock) next to the tie out point on the head of the
              > hammock. After some playing and fiddling I discovered that the bubble

              EDIT: Double space before "After"

              > The basics are also in place on the Deep Jungle Hammock. The bug
              > net,

              EDIT: Double space before "on" and triple space before "The"

              "
              > of the way and makes the Deep Jungle a side loading hammock. The
              > attention to detail on the construction really caught me by surprise.
              > Not only does the bug net unzip and fold out of the way, but there
              > is a
              > small hook and loop closure that allows the netting to be secure out
              > of the way so that it will not flop over into the hammock.

              EDIT: Triple space before "The" and triple space before "that" and
              double space before "so"

              > model. It appears to do everything it is supposed to, but is built
              > to be
              > light wieght and without any excess materials adding weight or bulk.

              EDIT: "wieght" should be "weight"

              > lump them with the 'other stuff' that came with the hammock. The
              > stock

              EDIT: Double space before "The"

              > tree huggers are a bit short for me and I will probably be using my
              > longer set to hang this hammock.

              Comment: Shouldn't you use what was supplied with the hammock and make
              a note of it in your report stating that the straps are too short.

              > A set of Snake Skin 4 (refers to size I think) was also included with
              > the Deep Jungle. The snake skins are basically tapered tubes of

              EDIT: Triple space before "The"

              > hammock that are very easy to take down and stuff in a pack. I was
              > not

              EDIT: Double space before "I"

              > obviously cut to fit in the double bottome of the hammock and includes

              EDIT" "bottome" should be "bottom"

              > unfounded fear, but it is a first impression I need to check out.
              > Other
              > than that I am excited about this test. This hammock obviously uses a

              EDIT: Double space before "Other" and "This"

              > I have already inserted the bubble mat into the hammock to see just
              > how
              > difficult it is to do. It was not the easiest task to get the wide
              > end

              EDIT: Double space before "It"