Fw: APPLICATION Benchmade 551-H2O Knife--Wheiler

  • Michael Wheiler
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1 7:52 AM
      From: Michael Wheiler
      To: backpackgeartesters
      Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 1:30 PM
      Subject: APPLICATION Benchmade 551-H2O Knife--Wheiler

      October 27, 2009

      Please accept my application to test the Benchmade 551-H2O knife. I have read the BGT By-Laws (v. 0609) including Chapter 5 and will comply with all of the reporting terms and requirements. My signed tester agreement is on file. As reported below, I will have no difficulty meeting the minimum expected use requirements.

      Personal Information:

      Name: Michael Wheiler
      Age: 53
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5'10" (178 cm)
      Weight: 175 lb. (79 kg)
      Torso Length: 19 3/4" (50 cm)
      Hip Measurement: 34" (86 cm)
      Chest Size: 40" (102 cm)
      Location: Southeast Idaho
      Email: jmwlaw <at> ida <dot> net

      I have over 40 years experience hiking, camping, and backpacking. I was a Scoutmaster for seven years (1997-2004) and I am now a Venture Crew Adviser. I camp, hike, and backpack year-round. As disturbing as it is for my wife, I even enjoy winter camping and backpacking alone. I also do a fair amount of mountain climbing. I love knives but I have only tested one knife for BGT. That was a Victorinox miniature pocket knife and in the words of Crocodile Dundee, when comparing the two knives, "Now this is a real knife!" (to be read with an Australian accent).

      Field Testing Environment:

      Most of my camping, hiking and backpacking occurs in the southeastern Idaho area but spills over into western Wyoming and western Montana. I occasionally get into the mountains of central Idaho as well. The areas I frequent generally range from 5,500 ft (1,600 m) to 8,500 ft (2,600 m). However, I have also climbed Mt. Rainier and several of Idaho's tallest peaks. I was fortunate enough to summit the Grand Teton two weeks ago. The weather in southeastern Idaho is fairly typical of a high desert plain. Winters are usually cold with temperatures at times reaching -20° F (-29° C). Snow depths vary widely but are generally over 10-12 feet (3-4 m) in the high country. In the next six months, among other trips, I plan to do some cross country skiing in Harriman State Park near Ashton, Idaho and snowshoe trips into (1) Kelly Canyon near Ririe, Idaho, (2) Craters of the Moon National Park near Arco, Idaho, and (3) Island Park, Idaho. I also plan to do a winter summit on Mt. Hyndman near Sun Valley, Idaho. Come spring, I'll be heading for the Clearwater country for a few days.

      Test Plan:

      During the test period, among other things, I will examine how easy the knife is to open and close with one hand; how it handles the cold temperatures and how easy it is to handle with gloved hands; how durable is the clip and the Noryl GTX handle; and how well the blade retains its edge and how easy it is to sharpen the blade if necessary. In short, this looks like a high quality knife but I will put it to the test and report on how well the Benchmade 55-H2O does its job as a knife.

      I believe I can give the Benchmade 551-H2O knife a good workout. I will provide BGT and Benchmade with detailed and informative reports.

      Involvement With BGT:

      Current Testing:

      I am currently testing the Big Sky Mirage tent (just completed my FR) and I am in the process of finishing my IR on the Lowe Alpine Cerro Torre backpack. We received 2010 model packs and I just received current information from the company to add to the IR in the test folder.

      For links to all of my reports on BGT please go to Michael's Reports.

      Monitor Responsibilities:

      I am currently the monitor for the Buff Natural Merino Wool . I have been a monitor for a number of other test series.

      Thank you for considering me as a tester for the Benchmade 551-H2O knife.