LTR - Cache Lake Cold Prep - Kara S.

  • karguo
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 23, 2009
      Here is my review for the Cache Lake foods. It was an interesting test overall and I've discovered that I'm pretty picky about what I take along with me.

      http://tinyurl.com/yht6cxn

      Kara Stanley

      CACHE LAKE COLD PREP FILLINGS
      TEST SERIES BY KARA STANLEY
      LTR
      October 24, 2009

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Kara Stanley
      EMAIL: karguo (at) yahoo (dot) com
      AGE: 26
      LOCATION: Tampa, Florida
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      WEIGHT: 175 lb (79.40 kg)

      I backpacked for the first time in 2006 and am now hooked. I have hiked most of my life in the South on flat land or small hills. When living in the DC area I got into hiking, doing both day hikes and multi-day backpacking trips, but warm weather hikes only! I am working on converting to a lighter hiking style as money permits. My base-pack weight is around 23 lb (10 kg) since I am still carrying a heavy backpack. Now living in Florida most of my hikes are day or short overnight trips on flat/swampy land.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Cache Lake
      Year of Manufacture: n/a
      Manufacturer's Website: Cache Lake

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Beans with Nacho Cheese">>

      MSRP: US$2.99
      Listed Weight: 4.5 oz (128 g)
      Measured Weight: 4.2oz (119 g)

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "Beans with Taco Flavored Bits">>

      MSRP: US$2.89
      Listed Weight: 4.5 oz (128 g)
      Measured Weight: 4.6 oz (130 g)

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 5" IMAGE CAPTION = "Cheese with Beans">>

      MSRP: US$4.05
      Listed Weight: 3 oz (85 g)
      Measured Weight: 3.1 oz (89 g)

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "Beans with Salsa Spices">>

      MSRP: US$2.85
      Listed Weight: 4.5 oz (128 g)
      Measured Weight: 4.5 oz (128 g)

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      I am impressed by the fact that Cache Lake used recycled boxes to ship their products. I received a box of 12 filling packages, 3 of each Beans and Cheese, Nacho Cheese and Beans, Beans with Salsa Spices, and Beans with Taco Bits. The package smelled good, like Mexican spices. Each filling package is small and compact, no need to repackage to reduce size. Each package is 2 servings, but it looks small and like it will only feed one hungry hiker. These are "fillings" and stuff 4 8" tortillas. I was disappointed to see that the products that contain cheese have artificial food dye in them. I was happy to see that the Beans with Salsa Spices is from all natural ingredients and looks suitable for Vegans. All filling are vegetarian.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      The instructions are easy enough to follow and clearly printed on each package.
      They are:
      1) Put dry mix in bowl and mix well.
      2) Add ¾ cup cold water. Stir.
      3) Let set 2-3 minutes.
      (To serve hot, use hot water)
      Fills 4-8" Tortillas

      TESTING STRATEGY

      Is there a difference between fillings rehydrated with hot versus cold water?
      Which works better and is there a taste difference?
      How many tortillas does it really fill and how it tastes on its own?
      How are the taste and the seasoning levels, is it well flavored for all tastes?
      Does it last over night if kept cool incase the package proves too much for one person?

      SUMMARY

      The packaging is nice and small with easy to read instructions.

      Likes:

      Small Packaging
      Easy instructions
      The Beans with Salsa is from all natural ingredients and can be eaten by Vegans

      Dislikes:

      Yellow food dye in the fillings with cheese
      The fillings require tortillas, which can go moldy on the trail and are heavy to carry

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      I took several of these packages with me on a three week trip through Panama and Costa Rica since I ended up in remote locations with limited access to food. The temperatures were warm (80-90 F; 44-50 C), with high humidity, and the location was near sea level since it was a beach location. Testing was in Tampa, Florida under similar conditions.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      In Panama, I prepared the Beans with Cheese according to directions. I added the ¾ of a cup of cold water as cold for, stir the mix up and left it sit for 5 minutes per instructions. I then returned to stir and taste the mixture. It was still to dry and pasty for my taste so I added additional water, about ¼ of a cup and let it sit for another 5 minutes. The texture had improved, though I still had lots of crunch, dried bean bits that never did fully rehydrate no matter how long it sat. I ate it with a mix of pretzel crackers and bagel chips. It was okay, but nothing that I'd chose to eat again. It was pretty bland and the cheese gave it a strange overall texture, kind of gritty, but a very fine grit, like the cheese had not rehydrated. I did not enjoy eating this cold, I love beans, but decided that I don't like them cold!

      <b>Is there a difference between fillings rehydrated with hot versus cold water?</b>
      I decided to do a home taste test with a few of the remaining bags of a the bean mix. I split the bags in half (eyeballed it) and added hot water to one bowl and cold to the other. Overall I found that the mixes that had hot water added rehydrated better and faster when compared to the ones mixed up with cold water. I also liked the taste of the bean fillings made with hot water over cold.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Beans with Nacho Cheese - L Hot water prep R Cold Prep">>

      <b>My thoughts on the flavors:</b>
      <i>Beans and Cheese</i>
      Not a fan. The mix did not rehydrate well or evenly. I found the mix to be very bland and they texture just funny with a mini-grit feel.

      <i>Nacho Cheese and Beans</i>
      Shockingly bland for "nacho cheese" flavor and the texture is a mini-grit feel. This seems to be normal for all the fillings with cheese.

      <i>Beans with Salsa Spices</i>
      Not bad, I enjoyed the Salsa veggies, they added and nice flavor and texture to the filling.

      <i>Beans with Taco Bits </i>
      Nice overall taste, it had a nice mild kick, and the "taco bits" added a nice texture contrast. Probably my favorite flavor of them all.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Taco Bit Filling Before Hydration">>

      I did not have any digestive issues related to eating the beans, but then I also eat lot of beans in general.

      Defiantly enough to feed two people as long as you have tortillas, chips, or other starch to eat it with. Plus I'd not sure that one person would want to down about 2 cups of bean based filling in one sitting, especially if you do not eat beans on a regular basis.

      <b>How are the taste and the seasoning levels, is it well flavored for all tastes?</b>
      Overall, I found that the fillings that have cheese are bland and lacking in salt. The Salsa and Taco Bit fillings have a nice mild blend of seasonings that make them rather tasty when compared to the cheesy fillings. I would not rate any of them higher then a mild and would carry along some salt and hot pepper to doctor them up to my spice level. Adding a bit of cheese to top off the hot bean filling in a tortilla did improve the overall taste of the Taco Bit and Salsa fillings and made them acceptable overall, but this did not improve the taste of the fillings with cheese.

      I did like eating these with pita or bagel chips instead of tortilla since I found the chips easier to carry and they also helped to add additional salt to the filling.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "Eating the Salsa filling with pita chips">>
      The packaging is extremely durable as I did not have any tears, ruptures or other damage to the bags during a three-week trip. That would be key since having a bag of powder filling break on a trip would be a headache.

      SUMMARY

      Overall I'm not sure that I'd buy these again. Partly because I usually hike solo and would not want to bother with leftovers. Also I would not pay the extra for the cheese with beans as it had the worse texture and flavor.

      <b>Likes:</b>
      That is they can be made with cold water
      Filling overall
      Taco Bit filling was rather tasty
      Nice Packaing, small yet durable

      <b>Dislikes:</b>
      Taste and texture of the fillings with cheese
      Do not fully rehydrate leaving some crunchy bean bits
      Overall pretty bland tasting; especially the cheesy ones
      Doesn't look very appealing one mixed

      CONTINUED USE

      Since I do have a few packs left over all will probably take the non-cheese fillings out on future trips, but don't plan on buying any more since I was not impressed with the overall taste and would prefer my other hiking food staples.

      Thank you Cache Lake and BTG for allowing me to test this product line.

      Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.
    • cdaignault
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 26, 2009
        Hi Kara! Good report, nice pictures -- your edits follow.

        "I added the 3/4 of a cup of cold water" as cold for, stir the mix up and left it sit for 5 minutes per instructions."
        EDIT: Please add conversions throughout for measurements!

        "I added the 3/4 of a cup of cold water" as cold for, stir the mix up and left it sit for 5 minutes per instructions."
        EDIT: Please replace the second "cold" with "called", "stir" with "stirred" and put the word "to" in so it reads "...left it to sit...".

        "It was still to dry and pasty for my taste..."
        EDIT: Please replace "to" with "too".

        "I found the mix to be very bland and they texture just funny with a mini-grit feel."
        EDIT: Spelling - replace "they" with "the".

        "Not bad, I enjoyed the Salsa veggies, they added and nice flavor and texture to the filling."
        EDIT: "...they added a nice flavor..."

        "Defiantly enough to feed two people as long as you have tortillas, chips, or other starch to eat it with."
        EDIT: Please replace "Defiantly" with "Definitely".

        "Plus I'd not sure that one person would want to down about 2 cups of bean..."
        EDIT: Please replace "I'd" with "I'm". Also need conversion of measurement.

        "I would not rate any of them higher then a mild..."
        EDIT: Please replace "then" with "than".

        "That is they can be made with cold water"
        Edit: Please consider removing "That is".

        "Nice Packaing, small yet durable"
        EDIT: Spelling - "Packaging".

        "Doesn't look very appealing one mixed"
        EDIT: "once mixed".

        "Since I do have a few packs left over all will probably..."
        EDIT: Please replace "all" with "I".

        That's it! Based on everyone's reports, it looks as though this stuff is really gritty unless mixed with hot water; which makes for a conundrum since it's supposed to be a cold prep food!

        Please upload when ready and delete your file from the TESTS folder.

        Thanks so much!

        -- Chari
      • Thomas Vickers
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 26, 2009
          Well, maybe it is not tax time yet, but it is time to test the Timex WS4
          Watch.
          Three lucky testers will get a chance to take this nice watch out and play.

          http://www.timex.com/Timex-WS4/dp/B002C13PVQ?ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=watch_movement_type,size_code,band_material_type,dial_color,price&searchNodeID=2224433011&field_launch-date=-1y&searchRank=salesrank&searchPage=1&field_browse=2224433011&searchSize=12&id=Timex%20WS4&field_availability=-1
          <http://www.timex.com/Timex-WS4/dp/B002C13PVQ?ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=watch_movement_type,size_code,band_material_type,dial_color,price&searchNodeID=2224433011&field_launch-date=-1y&searchRank=salesrank&searchPage=1&field_browse=2224433011&searchSize=12&id=Timex%20WS4&field_availability=-1>

          Now for the nitty gritty details;

          Newbie Limit DOES Apply
          US Shipping Included
          Thomas Vickers is the Mod

          Please include "Timex WS4" in your subject line when you apply.
          This call will close at 9 pm central time on Monday, November 2, 2009.

          Happy applicating

          TV
        • sophie_pearson
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 27, 2009
            Please accept my application to test the Timex WS4 watch. If it is possible to choose the color, I would really love to test the blue version.

            DISCLAIMER
            My test agreement was mailed July 2008. I agree to comply with all of the test requirements, including Chapter 5, found in the BackpackGearTest.org bylaws v. 0609 which I most recently read October 2009.

            BIO
            Name: Sophie Pearson
            Age: 27
            Gender: Female
            Height: 5' 8" (1.71 m)
            Weight: 179 lb (81 kg)
            Email address: sophiep3 at gmail dot com
            Location: Tampa, Florida USA

            BACKPACKING BACKGROUND
            I first started backpacking as a teenager in England. I did a 28-day trip in the Arctic, but most of my backpacking experience has been weekend to 10-day trips, in a range of terrains and climates. I am a volcanologist so I also do day hikes carrying loaded packs over intense terrain. Nowadays I am generally in sub-tropical climates. I am heading increasingly towards ultralight packing, and unless I am sharing I use a hammock. I try to pack under 20 lb (9 kg) for long weekend trips but have carried over 50 lb (23 kg).

            TEST PLAN
            Primarily overnight trips, and day hikes of up to 8 miles (13 km), in Florida. Also a couple of day hikes in California. At least one 3-day trip to the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee. If still testing in March, a 10-day trip to Managua, Nicaragua to measure temperatures, pressure and other volcanic variables for my PhD research.

            Extremely wide range of conditions - temperatures 30-90F (0-32C), elevation 0-6300ft (0-2000m), wind, rain, bright sunshine, high humidity and possibly some snow.

            LOOKING AT
            Accuracy of barometer, compass, thermometer and altimeter compared to a) weather station clock at home and sunlight on the trail, b) hand held sensors on hikes, c) high-precision barometer, GPS and chromel-alumel thermocouples at work.

            How intuitive it is to work, ease of reading display, whether the wide-screen display looks/feels clunky, durability, scratch-resistance, water-resistance, how well it forecasts weather, how the trip review mode compares with a GPS and online published data, how easy to use/useful the normal features like alarm, chronograph, night-light, dual time zones are.

            PREVIOUS TESTS
            13 test reports and 6 ORs here
            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/sophp333

            CURRENTLY TESTING
            Suisse Sport Sleeping Bag (LTR Dec 1)
            Ultimate Survival WetFire Stove (FR Nov 10)
            Ryders Vigor Sunglasses (FR Nov 10)
            Don't bite me insect patches (FR Dec 1)
            Asolo Freeland hiking boots (FR in approximately 2 months)

            MONITORING (also an editor)
            Darn Tough Vermont Mountaineering socks

            APPS OUT
            Terra Nova Laser Elite 20L

            Many thanks for your consideration.
            Cheers,
            Sophie
          • Brett Haydin
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 29, 2009
              TV,

              Please accept my application to test the Timex W4 Watch. I have read the BGT
              By-Laws (v.0609) including Chapters 4 and 5 and will comply with all of the
              reporting terms and requirements. My signed tester agreement is on file. I
              will have no difficulty meeting the minimum expected use requirements and
              plan to use the watch more than the required time.

              Name: Brett Haydin
              Age: 36
              Gender: Male
              Height: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
              Weight: 195 lb (88.50 kg)
              Email: bhaydin AT hotmail DOT com
              Location: Salida, Colorado USA

              Backpacking Background: I started backpacking in Wisconsin as a youth, being
              involved in the Boy Scouts programs. As a young adult, I worked at a summer
              camp leading backpacking, canoeing and mountain biking trips. I now
              generally take short weekend or day trips in rough, mountainous terrain,
              although I have extensive experience in the upper Midwest as well. I take
              one or two longer trips each year, where I typically carry about 40 lb (18
              kg). I prefer to be prepared and comfortable, but I have taken lightweight
              trips as well.

              ------

              Test Field Locations:

              November - February: Having recently moved to the Central Rockies in
              Colorado, I am surrounded by towering mountains reaching over 14,000 ft
              (4267 m) as well as a number of public lands. The trips will be 1-2 nights
              in sub-alpine environments with snow a serious possibility. I am also going
              to New Mexico for an extended weekend backpacking trip with my sister. We
              haven't finalized our plans, but much of the state is arid, desert climate.
              I also have access to some area hut trips, and as the snow falls I will be
              connecting with new friends I have made to snowshoe and stay there, most
              likely in December through February. Snow in the area is measured in feet,
              not inches; but more importantly there is a wide range of terrain. I am out
              in the woods several times a week either for exercise or recreation.
              Temperatures will be anywhere from 0 to 50 F (-18 to 10 C). Weather changes
              frequently here and the Rockies are marred by microclimates.

              ------

              Testing Strategy:

              Looking over this watch it has excellent features in an attractive display.
              As I mentioned in the Field Locations, the Rockies have a number of
              microclimates. I would be interested to see how much of an impact this has
              on accuracy of the watch. Since much of the time I pass by known altitudes,
              I'll be able to verify the accuracy of the altimeter as well. The watch I
              currently use is lacking a thermometer, leaving me to use a standard mercury
              thermometer out on the trail. If I can shed this in favor of the W4, all
              the better! I also do a fair amount of running, so the chronograph should
              help me keep my pace and track my progress. I'll be sure to report on
              durability, functionality, ease of use and how practical it is to wear.

              ------

              Current Tests and Stage (4):
              -Lowe Alpine Cerro Torre 65:85 (IR)

              -Victorinox One Hand Sentinel (IR)

              -Nomad Outdoor Journal(s) (IR)

              -Buff Natural Wool (IR)

              Other Applications Pending (4):
              -Terramar Silk & Wool base layer Tops and bottoms

              -Tubbs NRG Snowshoes

              -Atlas 11 Snowshoes

              -Tifosi Backcountry Sunglasses

              All of my Completed Tests and Owner Reviews can be viewed at:

              <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/bhaydin>
              http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/bhaydin

              Monitor Duties: (2)

              -Bushnell BackTrack GPS
              -Freestyle Navigator 2.0 Watch

            • Thomas Vickers
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 3, 2009
                Thanks to all who applied
                I see applications from

                Will Rice
                Jenn Koles
                Peter Spiller
                Brett Haydin

                If i missed your application, let me know asap

                TV
              • sophie_pearson
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 3, 2009
                  I applied, Sophie Pearson, message #60302.
                  Cheers,
                  Sophie

                  --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Vickers <redroach@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks to all who applied
                  > I see applications from
                  >
                  > Will Rice
                  > Jenn Koles
                  > Peter Spiller
                  > Brett Haydin
                  >

                  > If i missed your application, let me know asap
                  >
                  > TV

                • Cheryl Mcmurray
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 3, 2009
                    I applied and I see my name on the test website under this product.
                    Thanks,
                    Cheryl McMurray
                    On Nov 3, 2009, at 7:47 AM, Thomas Vickers wrote:

                    > Thanks to all who applied
                    > I see applications from
                    >
                    > Will Rice
                    > Jenn Koles
                    > Peter Spiller
                    > Brett Haydin
                    >
                    > If i missed your application, let me know asap
                    >
                    > TV

                  • Thomas Vickers
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 3, 2009
                      Cheryl, do you have a message #?

                      TV
                    • sjwakefield@sbcglobal.net
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 3, 2009
                        My app was msg # 60299.

                        Thanks,
                        Shawn Wakefield

                        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Vickers <redroach@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks to all who applied
                        > I see applications from
                        >
                        > Will Rice
                        > Jenn Koles
                        > Peter Spiller
                        > Brett Haydin
                        >

                        > If i missed your application, let me know asap
                        >
                        > TV

                      • Cheryl Mcmurray
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 3, 2009
                          Yes, it is #60250
                          On Nov 3, 2009, at 8:56 AM, Thomas Vickers wrote:

                          > Cheryl, do you have a message #?
                          >
                          > TV

                        • Roger Caffin
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 3, 2009
                            > 17a. TImex Test call closed
                            > If i missed your application, let me know asap
                            I applied, 28-Oct, haven't found message # yet. Some of my postings get lost
                            regularly - thanks Yahoo.
                            I'll include application here anyhow.

                            Cheers
                            Roger
                            -----
                            Application to Test Timex WS4 watch

                            Please accept my application to test the Timex WS4 watch.

                            I have read the BackpackGearTest.org Bylaws, the Appendices, and the BGT
                            Survival Guide, and I shall follow all requirements. This test will not
                            conflict with any of my other current tests. I have a signed Tester
                            Agreement on file.

                            Roger Caffin
                            Male, 64 years old
                            Sydney, NSW, Australia
                            r dot caffin at tpg dot com.au
                            167 cm (66")

                            Personal Information and Backpacking Background

                            I started bushwalking at 14 and took up rock climbing at University with the
                            girl who became my wife and my permanent walking partner. Ski touring and
                            canyoning followed. Winter and summer, we prefer long hard trips by
                            ourselves: about a week in Australia, up to three months in Europe/UK. We
                            prefer fast and light in unfrequented trackless country. We would be out
                            walking, skiing or snowshoeing for at least three months a year. We have now
                            moved to lightweight gear, much to our backs' relief. I designed and made
                            much of our lightweight gear myself.

                            I am a BGT Editor and I am also the maintainer of the Australian
                            aus.bushwalking FAQ web site www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/.

                            Test locations and plan

                            Frequent bushwalking in the Australian Blue Mountains, both day trips and
                            longer overnight trips. Some trips in the Australian Alps, up to two weeks
                            long. Possible overseas trips, but not yet committed. The overnight trips
                            are usually fairly hard ones.

                            The watch would go on all these trips. I especially use my watch for
                            time-of-day, altitude and navigation (using the sun). I note this one
                            actually has a psuedo-analog hour display, which is useful for navigation.

                            Note: I have previously tested two watches for BGT - the Highgear Axis (an
                            epic) and the Silva Tech4o TraiLeader 1.

                            I am currently finishing the LTR for the DTO Wick-er Warmup towels. I have
                            no other applications at this stage. My reports have all been submitted on
                            time.

                            My reports are collected at
                            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/rcaffin