LONG TERM REPORT: AGG Blue Cozy Covers - Fuzzy

  • Fuzzy
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 19, 2005
      The first of my last four six-month tests. Liked this one. Can't
      wait for new stuff coming down the pike...

      Yahooisms blah blah blah... HTML in test folder at
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/Level%201/Cozy%20Covers%
      20-%20Fuzzy/
      - or -
      http://tinyurl.com/8osvf

      Fuzzy (Chuck Kime)
      ******************
      AntiGravityGear Blue Cozy Cover(s)
      Long Term Report – August 19, 2005

      Contents
      · Reviewer Information
      · Product Information
      · Features and Benefits
      · Description
      · Field Testing
      · Things I Like
      · Things I Don't Like
      · Backpacking Background

      Reviewer Information

      Name: Chuck Kime
      Nickname: Fuzzy
      Age: 39
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 8" (172 cm)
      Weight: 229 lb (104 kg)
      Email address: ckime AT nelsononline DOT com
      City, State, Country: Upper Darby (Philadelphia suburb), PA, U.S.A.
      Date: August 19, 2005

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: AntiGravityGear (AGG)
      Model: Neoprene Cozy Cover
      Year of Manufacture: 2005
      Listed weight (2-Quart): 2.6 oz (74 g)
      Listed weight (3-Cup): 1.9 oz (54 g)
      Measured weight (2-Quart): 2.6 oz (74 g), scale accurate to 0.1 oz
      Measured weight (3-Cup): 1.9 oz (54 g)
      Color: Blue
      MSRP (2-Quart): $12.95 US
      MSRP (3-Cup): $9.95 US

      Features (from web site)
      · Protect your AntiGravityGear cozy and add to the performance!
      This zippered cozy cover is made of neoprene and protects your cozy
      from wear and abraision. The seams are glued AND stitched for
      durability. The lid zippers off to allow you to remove and insert the
      pot after cooking. Custom fit for the 2-Quart and 3-Cup
      AntiGravityGear pots. There is enough room on top of the pot to store
      the lifter handle, camp towel and other kitchen gear. Weight of the 2-
      Quart Cover is 2.6 ounces and the 3-Cup cover is 1.9 ounces. This is
      a must-have item!

      Description
      The Neoprene Cozy Covers are made to fit the cozies for the pots
      included with the AntiGravityGear Mama's Kitchen Cook Set. They have
      zip-off lids to allow placing the pot/cozy combinations into the
      covers, and enough room on top of the cozy to fit the AGG pot lifter
      and a few other cook-time items. Both covers are made of thin
      neoprene with blue fabric bonded on the outside and light grey fabric
      bonded on the inside. Both use black coil zippers, and have a short
      length of black webbing connecting the lid to the body.
      The `antigravitygear' logo is screened in black on the front of each
      cover.

      For a more detailed description, including photos, please see my
      Initial Report.

      Field Testing
      Our Boy Scout troop camps monthly. Almost all of these outings
      included a minimum of 2 nights of camping, with temperatures from
      lows around 25 to 30 ºF (-4 to -1 ºC) to highs around 95 to 100 ºF
      (35 to 38 ºC). Elevations ranged from sea level to approximately
      1,000' (305 m).

      I have continued using the Cozy Covers since the Field Report, and
      can report no changes in my opinions. The covers are light, handy,
      durable, and – in colder weather – may just add that extra bit of
      insulation to keep soups warm until they are gone. I will continue
      using them, especially the smaller one, on all of my future trips.

      Things I was looking for:
      · Ease of use. How easy is it to get the cozy in and out of
      the cover? Does the zipper engage/disengage easily?
      · Fit. Does the cover fit the cozy well? How much additional
      gear fits above the pot/cozy (I see myself keeping the Clikstand on
      top and the Trangia in the pot)?
      · Durability. Are there any special wear points? Does it
      stand up to being tossed – or worse, stuffed – into a pack with other
      gear? Do I need to worry about putting it down on abrasive surfaces?
      · Cleanability. Are there special instructions? Are they easy
      to follow? Does it hold much dirt in the first place?

      My findings:
      · Ease of use. The cozy slides fairly easily in and out of the
      cover when the pot is in the cozy and both items are dry, but an
      empty cozy is a bit limp to put in a very flexible cover. The
      zippers work very smoothly and, since they do not separate, they do
      not need to be realigned every time they are used.
      · Fit. The covers fit smoothly without much extra room on the
      sides, and leave room for pot lifters, lighters, matches etc. under
      the lid.
      · Durability. I still have yet to notice any wear on either
      cover.
      · Cleanability. Well, they did get dirty, but they came clean
      with a little soap and water.

      Things I like

      1. Light.
      2. Well made.
      3. Makes it easier to keep my kitchen together, even
      (especially) without a stuff sack.

      Things I don't like

      1. The process of putting the cozy into the cover is just clumsy
      enough that it's not something I want to do when I have some hot food
      in the pot. However, with care, the pot can be slipped into the cozy
      while already in the cover without too much risk of spillage.

      Backpacking Background
      My family started car/trailer camping when I was about 5. I spent 17
      years in the Army Reserve fine-tuning my packing methodology – when I
      got out, I was down to a fairly respectable 75-80 lb (34-36 kg) load
      in my ALICE pack. Advancing age, arthritic knees and a car accident
      have led me to seriously rethink my gear choices, experiment with
      tarps and hammocks, make some of my own gear, and take a closer look
      at my `toys' with an eye for multi-use and light weight. I now have
      a sub-30 lb (14 kg) 3-season load, and should be able to reduce it to
      20 lb (9 kg) – before food, fuel and water – without much more effort.

      Thank you for your time.

      Chuck Kime
      a.k.a. Fuzzy
    • Michael Herman
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 21, 2005
        Hey Fuzzy, here are the edits (only onw) to your Long Term Report. I read it
        off the web so no yahooisms. I also checked the links and they all worked
        for me. I double checked your Field and Initial report and they look good,
        so once the corrections have been made and uploaded you should be golden for
        this report. Thanks Michael

        Edits:

        with temperatures from lows around 25 to 30 ºF (-4 to -1 ºC) to highs around
        95 to 100 ºF (35 to 38 ºC).

        Edit: ‘temperatures from lows around’ reads awkward to me. Maybe try taking
        out lows and highs, or this “The temperature varied with lows around …”

      • Fuzzy
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 22, 2005
          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Herman"
          <backpackman@m...> wrote:
          > Hey Fuzzy, here are the edits (only onw) to your Long Term Report. I
          read it
          > off the web so no yahooisms. I also checked the links and they all
          worked
          > for me. I double checked your Field and Initial report and they look
          good,
          > so once the corrections have been made and uploaded you should be
          golden for
          > this report. Thanks Michael

          Uploaded. Test file deleted. Thanks.

          Fuzzy