APPLICATION - Hennessy Hammock Cat Cape - Derek

  • Derek Hansen
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2009
      Please accept my application to test the Hennessy Hammock Cat Cape. I
      have read the test requirements stated in BGT Tester ByLaws as of
      January 2009 (BackpackGearTest.org Bylaws v.0609) and I promise to
      comply with them to the best of my abilities. My test agreement has
      been submitted and is on file.

      The Hennessy Hammock Cat Cape should work wonderfully with the Nano
      Hammock I am currently testing.

      REVIEWER'S INFORMATION

      Name - Derek Hansen
      Age - 33
      Gender - Male
      Height - 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      Weight - 165 lb (75 kg)
      Email Address - derek(dot)hansen(at)mac(dot)com
      Location - Flagstaff, Arizona, USA

      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND

      I am a lightweight backpacker with a typical overnight pack weight of
      15 lb (7 kg) and a multi-day weight of 20 lb (9 kg). My current
      backpacking style is to carry a simple hammock and go light and fast.

      FIELD INFORMATION & UPCOMING TRIPS

      Since moving to Flagstaff, Arizona from northern Virginia in January
      2009, I have an opportunity to experience a brand-new climate,
      elevation, and scenery. Everything is new! I've enjoyed the temperate
      summer season and am looking forward to fall, which promises cooler
      high temperatures of 63 F to 43 F (17 C to 6 C), and lows of 31 F to
      16 F (-1 C to -8 C), Oct through Dec. I've been told Flagstaff will
      start getting snow in October, with 2 to 16 in (5 to 40 cm) through Dec.

      WHY I AM APPLYING

      I am currently testing the Nano Hammock from Grand Trunk, so having a
      shelter/tarp would be a great addition since I'll be hanging all
      winter anyway. But beyond that, I have been looking for a multi-use
      tarp for over a year now. I've been using the GoLite Poncho as a dual-
      use poncho and hammock shelter to help cut weight and bulk in my pack.
      Having a shelter that was designed for both these purposes would be
      great. I'd love to test this out and see how it works.

      PROPOSED TEST PLAN

      Having used a poncho as rain gear and as shelter, I'd be on the
      lookout for how much coverage the Cat Cape provides. The canopy's
      asymmetric design would mean less flexibility in how I use the hammock
      and I would be careful on how well it covers me and my gear. As a
      cape, I'm interested to know how it would fit over my pack while I
      hike and move around. Ponchos are great for breathability, but in the
      cooler months, I also want to know how well I can wrap and secure it
      around me, especially in cool, windy Flagstaff, Arizona.

      Winter hammock camping is challenging, and I may swap the shelter for
      larger tarps with more coverage, especially considering the the Cat
      Cape's asymmetrical design. But I can imagine using the cape as a
      "shell" during the winter, especially if it can easily throw over my
      down puff jacket and pack to keep snow off.

      PREVIOUS REPORTS AND INFORMATION

      I have been told that I should mention that I am working on the BGT
      web development team to design and deploy the new BackpackGearTest
      website.

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/dejoha

      http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/M1800.htm

      Best,

      ~derek
    • Derek Hansen
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2010
        Please accept my application to test the Hennessy Hammock Cat Cape. I
        have read the test requirements stated in BGT Tester ByLaws as of
        January 2009 (BackpackGearTest.org Bylaws v.0609) and I promise to
        comply with them to the best of my abilities. My test agreement has
        been submitted and is on file.

        MY BRIEF BIO

        Name - Derek Hansen
        Age - 33
        Gender - Male
        Height - 5' 10" (1.78 m)
        Weight - 165 lb (75 kg)
        Email Address - derek?dot"hansen\at[mac|dot}com
        Location - Flagstaff, Arizona, USA

        I am a lightweight backpacker with a typical overnight pack weight of
        15 lb (7 kg) and a multi-day weight of 20 lb (9 kg). My current
        backpacking style is to carry a simple hammock and go light and fast.

        BRIEF TEST PLAN

        The Tsepun Quarter-zip appears to be a good match for my upcoming
        trips in the high country of Arizona. At a base elevation of 7,000
        feet, Flagstaff maintains a cool temperature and receives a fair
        amount of UV rays. This base layer could really help protect my skin
        and help regulate my temperature. I like the quarter-zip design, but
        I'm curious about the Napoleon pocket--stylish fad, or useful
        accessory? The included anti-bacterial silver ions will really come in
        handy during extended uses to see if odor is minimized.

        Over the test period, I hope to have a few hiking trips into southern
        Utah, along with my regular excursions in and around the Flagstaff area.

        PREVIOUS REPORTS, CURRENT TESTS, MONITOR DUTIES, ETC.

        I have no other pending applications. Below are links to my previous
        reports, current tests, and other BGT duties.

        > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/dejoha

        > http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1800.htm

        > http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/M1800.htm

        I am also working on the BGT web development team to design and deploy
        the new BackpackGearTest website. This is an on-again, off-again
        project.

        Best,

        ~derek
      • Derek Hansen
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2010
          I is stupid.

          I meant to say, "Please accept my application to test the Sherpa Base
          Layers Tsepun Quarter-Zip." The remaining report was _not_ lifted from
          previous applications and therefor stands AS-IS.

          Apologetically,

          ~derek