Application to test - Merrell Outbound boots - Ray Estrella

  • Ray
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2009
      Please accept my application to test the Merrell Outbound. I have read the BackpackGearTest.org bylaws v. 0609 including, but not limited to, Chapter 5. I agree to comply with and exceed all requirements, even more. (Read on please.)

      Tester Information
      Name: Raymond Estrella
      Age: 48
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 3" (193 cm)
      Weight: 200 lb (91 kg)
      Email address: rayestrella@...
      City: Huntington Beach
      State: California
      Country: USA
      Date: August 27, 2009

      Backpacking Background:

      I have been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California, and in many of the western states and Minnesota. I hike year-round, and average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I have made a move to lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. I start early and hike hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring. I usually take a freestanding tent and enjoy hot meals at night. If not hiking solo I am usually with my wife Jenn and/or brother-in-law Dave.

      Test Plan

      In the case of needing someone from the Team to step up, please consider my application even though I am testing a pair of boots at this time. (And should you get enough to fill the test it won't hurt my feelings to be disregarded.)

      Why have me do another pair? Because in two months, or shortly after they would most likely get to me, I will be in the snow. These look like they would be tough enough for the approach hikes with heavier winter loads, and should accept snowshoes OK. The other boots I am testing are glorified trail-runners, which definitely have their place but I will have times I can't wear them.

      I do a lot of backpacking. I get in at least one multi-day trip and usually two of them each month. Dave and I try to get a couple long day-hikes or fast-packs in each month too.

      I will write about all the same stuff that I have written about in the many ORs and reports I have submitted for footwear, including two Merrell tests I have had the fortune to participate in.

      I have 1 test in LTR at this time. It is due now so will be gone. I have 1 (light boots) that the IR was just posted, so it will be in FR by the time this call closes. I also have a sock test in FR.

      My involvement with BGT includes active duty as Editor, Test Monitor, and Mentor.

      I have completed a lot of test series.

      I have written a lot of Owner Reviews.

      My reports and reviews can be found at;
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/rayestrella