Application - Merrell Outbound Mid - Coy Starnes

  • Coy Boy
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2009
      Application - Merrell Outbound Mid - Coy Starnes

      If selected I will need a size 12. If color choices are made availiable I will indicate preference in my acceptance email, not that color has ever really mattered much to me.

      Applicant: Coy Starnes
      Gender: Male
      Age: 47
      Weight 236 lb. (107 kg.)
      Height 6 ft. (1.83 m.)
      E-Mail: starnescr@... (starnescr at yahoo dot com)
      Location: Northeast Alabama (Grant)

      I have read the latest version (v. 0609) of the Survival Guide, especially chapters 4, 5, and 6 and I agree to abide by all rules and requirements set forth. My signed Tester Agreement is on file with BGT. I will meet the minimum nights required (5). However, I will probably get more useful testing done while wearing it on my many day hikes as well as long recumbent bike rides.

      Brief Bio: I am an avid outdoorsman and enjoy hiking, backpacking, hunting, canoeing/kayaking, caving, and spending as much time outdoors as possible. I live in northeast Alabama where I do most of my backpacking and hiking. I hike solo and with friends and family. I go hiking throughout the year.

      My style is slow and steady. My shelter of choice is a hammock and I cook with an alcohol stove or wood stove. I do use a tent occasionally and or stay in shelters when available. I have made great strides in becoming a lightweight backpacker but I still choose gear with an eye towards comfort and durability. My pack weight is around 25 lb (11 kg) for most summer 2 and 3 day trips. However, in the winter my pack weight climbs considerably, not only in weight but in bulk as well.

      I keeping with the new short and sweet application which I campaigned for, here is my app.

      Application: Hello Richard, I would be pleased to help BGT in testing the Merrell Outbound Mid. I hike, bike (recumbent) and canoe (and kayak) pretty much year round and I can use these boots in all these activities. I just recently took my clip in pedals of my bike and put the origional flat pedals back on so I can wear regular shoes. But of course I would were the boots most for hiking.

      I tried on a pair of the same boot tonight while in town except it was the non-gortex but still waterproof Outbound Mid. The 11.5 they had fit but was a tad tight on my toes. That is why I am requesting a size 12.

      I hike or ride my recumbent nearly every off day for at least an hour and up to around 3 hours for exercise but with winter weather approaching fast, I tend to hike more than ride. And with winter aproaching I switch from trail runners to a more insulated and waterproof boot. The trails I frequent are a good mix of conditions with a lot of steep stuff and several stream crossings mixed in. Some recent looging activity made some of the trails even more muddy. I also hike similar but longer trails when backpacking in nearby states.

      Anyways, I feel I can give the boots an excelent workout. I will be sure and mention all the features and how they work including the Spring Motion insoles. I didnt see the term bushwahcker though...

      Test Locations and Conditions
      I usually hike in the southeast (Al, Tenn, Ga and NC) and my bent riding has so far been in northeast Al and northwest Ga. Temps are not usually severe and I actually rode a lot in Dec, Jan and Feb this past winter. This test should begin in the spring and run through most of the summer. Spring time is usually very nice but summers can be very hot with high humidity. If the test goes into the fall the weather is usually hot early on then crisp and cool.

      I just recently picked up a kayak (2 actually) and have already went on several group paddles as well as one solo trip and plan to do more. With high gas prices I have had to limit my trips to those close by but fortunately I have several good hiking and camping opportunities close by. I can actually go hiking and biking (and often do) without even have to crank the truck and with the kayak I can be on the water with less then 3 miles driving.

      My test load is fairly low for now, 3 (all in LTR phase) and still waiting on some socks (which would go nicely with this test)

      1: The Packa: In LTR phase

      2: OR Bugbucket hat: in LTR phase

      3: Fuerka Grand Manan tent: also in LTR phase

      4L Thorlo Experia socks: still waiting on these to arrive.

      No other apps outstanding...

      All my reviews may be found here.

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/Coy%20Boy

      I have also submitted six owner reviews:
      Two for my Hennessy Original hammock
      Petzl Tikka Head Lamp
      Raovac Sportsman 3 in 1 headlamp
      REI Down Time 0 Degree sleeping bag
      Sony P72 camera

      Thanks for the considering me for this test.

      Coy Boy