Re: Video in reports

  • gdm320
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 2, 2009
      Dude... seriously? THANK GOD!!! I want to do this so badly.

      When I was doing my test series on the MSR HyperFlow I wanted to use one of the manufacturer's official demo videos on backflushing and was told by Leesa I could not. I asked if I could make my own and was told I could not. Man this will make demo'ing setup and maintainance so much easier!

      I agree, I think YouTube is the best way to go. Just setup and account and let them do all the hosting. Plus YouTube even provides the HTML coding to embed the video in a webpage for free... all I did during my testing on the HyperFlow report was stick the HTML they provided in ReportWriter and it worked like a charm.

      90 seconds should be plenty of time... I'd actually be surprised if people used the entire 90 second allotment.

      Most digital cameras nowadays have a video record option don't they? I don't think anyone would need much more than that... although video editing software would probably help. There are free applications available online for that.

      I'm excited!

      Greg M

      --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Goller" <ChiefModerator@...> wrote:

      > I want to start embedding video in our reports. I need some help with this.
      > Here are my questions:
      >
      > 1. How receptive is the group to this idea.
      >
      > 2. What format do we go with? I want all videos to be in the same format.
      > I'm envisioning something like YouTube that would allow the video to run
      > within the report and not require a different page to open.
      >
      > 3. I think 90 seconds it enough time for video length. Is it?
      >
      > 4. How do we do this? What is required and who can do it?
      >
      > Jerry
    • Derek Hansen
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 2, 2009
        WONDERFUL IDEA

        Yes, let's do it, please!

        I'm not sure if this is possible, but it would be nice to have a
        single YouTube account so all the videos are under one account. If
        not, we can create a BGT channel so people can find out videos when
        searching YouTube.

        We would need a few basic ground rules for video content, which would
        also be subject to Monitor/Editor approval/edits.

        ~derek

        On Oct 2, 2009, at 12:24 PM, Jerry Goller wrote:

        > 1. How receptive is the group to this idea.
      • Jerry Goller
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 2, 2009
          I don't want it to *be* YouTube, I just want it to function like YouTube.
          All videos have to be stored on our site. We need to decide on a format
          because I only want one. I'd rather the readers not have to download a
          viewer, thus my description of *like* YouTube.

          Jerry

          reviews and tests on the planet.

          <ChiefModerator@...> wrote:

          > I want to start embedding video in our reports. I need some help with
          this.
          > Here are my questions:
          >
          > 1. How receptive is the group to this idea.
          >
          > 2. What format do we go with? I want all videos to be in the same format.
          > I'm envisioning something like YouTube that would allow the video to
          > run within the report and not require a different page to open.
          >
          > 3. I think 90 seconds it enough time for video length. Is it?
          >
          > 4. How do we do this? What is required and who can do it?
          >
          > Jerry

          database 4477 (20091002) __________

          http://www.eset.com

          database 4477 (20091002) __________

          http://www.eset.com
        • Derek Hansen
          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 2, 2009
            YouTube uses a Flash-based player. We may be able to grow our own or
            use another player freely available like:

            http://slideshowpro.net/

            http://www.shadowbox-js.com/

            http://www.monoslideshow.com/

            For a minimal one-time investment, we could get a license to use one
            of these kits and then use it to publish video. I've used all three in
            my web development projects. I really like Monoslideshow, but
            SlideShowPro has amazing customizations and format options. I'd be
            happy with either.

            These two programs also support XML input, so creating an embedded
            player automatically via the upload form shouldn't be too difficult.

            Monoslideshow and SlideShowPro both support playing video from
            different formats, so it would be possible to allow BGT writers to
            upload a *.mov, *.mp4, *.avi, or *.fla video file and still have the
            player show the content.

            The other advantage of these two players is that they support photo
            slideshows, so we can create pseudo videos by combining still images
            together--very nice for those writers who don't/can't produce video,
            but can still create multimedia.

            Lots of fun possibilities.

            ~derek

            On Oct 2, 2009, at 2:37 PM, Jerry Goller wrote:

            > I don't want it to *be* YouTube, I just want it to function like
            > YouTube.
            > All videos have to be stored on our site. We need to decide on a
            > format
            > because I only want one. I'd rather the readers not have to download a
            > viewer, thus my description of *like* YouTube.
          • Jennifer Pope
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 2, 2009
              My Canon point and shoot takes videos in avi format. I'm not sure if that's
              a canon thing or the same across all p&s cameras.

              The rest of the discussion is much more over my head, I thought we were just
              going to upload videos to You Tube.

              Jen P.

              On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 2:54 PM, Derek Hansen <derek.hansen@...> wrote:

              > YouTube uses a Flash-based player. We may be able to grow our own or
              > use another player freely available like:
              >
              > http://slideshowpro.net/
              >
              > http://www.shadowbox-js.com/
              >
              > http://www.monoslideshow.com/
              >
              > For a minimal one-time investment, we could get a license to use one
              > of these kits and then use it to publish video. I've used all three in
              > my web development projects. I really like Monoslideshow, but
              > SlideShowPro has amazing customizations and format options. I'd be
              > happy with either.
              >
              > These two programs also support XML input, so creating an embedded
              > player automatically via the upload form shouldn't be too difficult.
              >
              > Monoslideshow and SlideShowPro both support playing video from
              > different formats, so it would be possible to allow BGT writers to
              > upload a *.mov, *.mp4, *.avi, or *.fla video file and still have the
              > player show the content.
              >
              > The other advantage of these two players is that they support photo
              > slideshows, so we can create pseudo videos by combining still images
              > together--very nice for those writers who don't/can't produce video,
              > but can still create multimedia.
              >
              > Lots of fun possibilities.
              >
              > ~derek
              >

              > On Oct 2, 2009, at 2:37 PM, Jerry Goller wrote:
              >
              > > I don't want it to *be* YouTube, I just want it to function like
              > > YouTube.
              > > All videos have to be stored on our site. We need to decide on a
              > > format
              > > because I only want one. I'd rather the readers not have to download a
              > > viewer, thus my description of *like* YouTube.

            • Rebecca Sowards-Emmerd
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 2, 2009
                Hosting the videos is far more complicated than images. In order to host our
                own videos we'd need:
                - Someone who is capable and willing to manage a streaming video service on
                the BGT domain.
                - A software/tool to run the video service, along with the installation,
                configuration, and maintenance.
                - UI re-configuration on BGT to allow for integration of the video service
                I'm not saying it's not possible - it's a great solution - but until someone
                steps up to actually set this kind of thing up (I don't have the knowledge
                to volunteer myself), allowing embeds from YouTube would be nice. *Embedding
                a Youtube video IS as simple as embedding images in reports. *

                YouTube is a powerhouse owned by google and not some fly-by-night service
                that will go away. It's going to be around far longer than our reports are,
                if we continue to weed out the older reviews. I'd reconsider the
                self-hosting of our own video service in favor of leaving it to someone who
                does it well and for free - like Youtube.

                On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 2:37 PM, Jerry Goller <
                ChiefModerator@...> wrote:

                > I don't want it to *be* YouTube, I just want it to function like YouTube.
                > All videos have to be stored on our site. We need to decide on a format
                > because I only want one. I'd rather the readers not have to download a
                > viewer, thus my description of *like* YouTube.
                >

                > Jerry
                >
                > http://www.BackpackGearTest.org : the most comprehensive interactive gear
                > reviews and tests on the planet.

              • Derek Hansen
                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 2, 2009
                  I agree that embedding Youtube is easy! I'd still vote for that from
                  an ease-of-use point of view.

                  Youtube does have limits on storage and frequency, however. Depending
                  on how much we use this (as BGT grows), we would need to consider how
                  we integrate. If each report writer was required to use his/her own
                  Youtube account, this wouldn't be as much a problem, but it does raise
                  the question of ownership. For example, lets say I drop my Youtube
                  videos -- that would cause dead links in old reports.

                  If we go with Jerry's idea of hosting on BGT, we wouldn't have that
                  problem, although hosting and bandwidth issues become more to worry
                  about.

                  Using one of the embedded players I recommended won't require any
                  streaming video service or much configuration, once it is installed.
                  The real issue would be how to integrate a service like SlideShowPro
                  into the BGT Report Writer or for those of us who write HTML on our
                  own. Someone would have to write some back-end 'magic' to make this
                  happen.

                  For example, I maintain a blog using WordPress and have a plugin for
                  Youtube videos. All I type is a simple code to instruct the system to
                  turn the pseudo-code into a video player:

                  [youtube]**random video code from youtube here**[/youtube]

                  We could do this on BGT, where we upload our video and put the file
                  name to be included:

                  [video]kelty-galactic-video.mov[/video]

                  Theoretically, this snippit of "code" would translate into the video
                  player (e.g., SlideShowPro).

                  We may only need some whizbang coder to add a PHP code to switch the
                  pseudo-code with the appropriate player code. BGT already
                  automatically creates links to images; I can't imagine this would be
                  any more difficult.

                  ~derek

                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 2, 2009
                    Yeah, I think it would be great if we had the whiz-bang person to set it
                    up. I was just thinking about the are numerous integration points too - the
                    backend, the report writer, the upload UI, etc. That doesn't even address
                    sizing/format issues that will come up as people start to use it ("why do I
                    have to use .mpg? All I have is .swf. And it's 5000 Mb. How do I convert it,
                    how do I make it smaller...blah blee bloo."). And how different browsers
                    would handle the embedded video. One nice thing about Youtube is that it's
                    used everywhere and most people are going to have the proper tools already
                    in their browser to view those videos.
                    Maybe it's something that could be worked on once said expert is located,
                    and in the meantime allow embedding from YouTube just to get things going.
                    I think a BGT channel would be awesome, but you're also right about
                    ownership issues here too with regards to videos disappearing, etc. Neither
                    is a perfect solution and both have plenty of open questions, but the
                    advantage of a hosted service is that we could start using it today.

                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 2, 2009
                      I completely agree.

                      And you make a very strong point about the end-user. Although we
                      _could_ grow our own, it would still be an undertaking. As a group, we
                      already have issues with sizing _still_ images; I can only imagine the
                      headache with video (compression, file size, resolution, formats, etc.).

                      Does anyone know if you can re-assign ownership in Youtube? For
                      example, if I upload a video to my account, can I transfer it to
                      another owner, like BGT? If so, then we could follow a protocol where
                      BGT keeps the video in their own Youtube account. Or can we have
                      multiple logins access a single account?

                      ~derek

                      On Oct 2, 2009, at 4:37 PM, Rebecca Sowards-Emmerd wrote:

                      > but the
                      > advantage of a hosted service is that we could start using it today.
                    • Pat
                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 2, 2009
                        I love the idea of videos. I think they are very helpful. That being said, I have zero (or less) interest in making videos. I have a hard enough time coming up with good pictures for the reports. So, if this will be something required during a test, I'm not for it.

                        Just my $0.02.

                        Pat
                      • Jerry Goller
                        Message 11 of 29 , Oct 2, 2009
                          reviews and tests on the planet.

                          I agree that embedding Youtube is easy! I'd still vote for that from an
                          ease-of-use point of view.

                          Youtube does have limits on storage and frequency, however. Depending on how
                          much we use this (as BGT grows), we would need to consider how we integrate.
                          If each report writer was required to use his/her own Youtube account, this
                          wouldn't be as much a problem, but it does raise the question of ownership.
                          For example, lets say I drop my Youtube videos -- that would cause dead
                          links in old reports.

                          If we go with Jerry's idea of hosting on BGT, we wouldn't have that problem,
                          although hosting and bandwidth issues become more to worry about.

                          ### Perhaps I should re-word that. It isn't an idea, it is a requirement.
                          ###

                          Jerry

                          database 4477 (20091002) __________

                          http://www.eset.com
                        • Jerry Goller
                          Message 12 of 29 , Oct 2, 2009
                            It would never be required.

                            Message 13 of 29 , Oct 2, 2009
                              I'm reasonably certain only the more tech savvy testers will attempt this.
                              All of those things would be decided in advance. If they can't, or won't,
                              follow our video requirements then they just can't upload the video.

                              Simple. If it proves to be too much of a headache then we just stop it.

                              Message 14 of 29 , Oct 2, 2009
                                I say we test in on a few reports to see how it works. I'm really advocating the simplicity of YouTube embedding.

                                --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Goller" <ChiefModerator@...> wrote:

                                > I'm reasonably certain only the more tech savvy testers will attempt this.
                                > All of those things would be decided in advance. If they can't, or won't,
                                > follow our video requirements then they just can't upload the video.
                                >
                                > Simple. If it proves to be too much of a headache then we just stop it.
                                >
                                > Jerry
                                >

                                > http://www.BackpackGearTest.org : the most comprehensive interactive gear
                                > reviews and tests on the planet.

                              • Mike Wilkie
                                Message 15 of 29 , Oct 2, 2009
                                  Since BGT is a non profit organization, I am assuming the BGT site has bandwidth and server limitations?  Wouldn't video streaming effect the speed and stability of the site?

                                  Best,
                                  Mike Wilkie

                                • Jerry Goller
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Oct 2, 2009
                                    Oddly enough, with our present ISP, we have unlimited storage and unlimited
                                    bandwidth.....as long as they don't go broke.

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Oct 2, 2009
                                      Well then...

                                      Isn't that a sweet deal.  Hopefully their tune won't change when they see bandwidth with the x-many video streams at a given time.

                                      This could be a nice addition.  Can't wait for the bloopers reel.  We may need some shanesorship… I mean censorship.

                                      Best,
                                      Mike Wilkie

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Oct 3, 2009
                                        "One nice thing about Youtube is that it's used everywhere and most people are going to have the proper tools already in their browser to view those videos."

                                        -- Ease of use and simplicity for both writer and viewer should be high on the list of whatever we choose for sure. My question about going with YouTube is exposure. Wouldn't putting our stuff there increase BGT viewership exponentially over hosting our own? I believe it's one of the most visited and searched sites in the world, right? Anything that drives folks to our site is good in my opinion.
                                      • Andrew Buskov
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Oct 3, 2009
                                          My understanding of the way that youtube works is this.... people upload
                                          videos, and a script runs every few minutes that converts those videos to
                                          the proper format. If we're hosting on a linux server and have the ability
                                          to run programs, then we can essentially create the same style service as
                                          youtube without too much effort. The problem would be setting up the script
                                          to convert all the possibilities of filetypes that people upload.

                                          AB

                                          > I don't want it to *be* YouTube, I just want it to function like
                                          > YouTube.
                                          > All videos have to be stored on our site. We need to decide on a format
                                          > because I only want one. I'd rather the readers not have to download a
                                          > viewer, thus my description of *like* YouTube.
                                          >
                                          > Jerry
                                        • Edward
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Oct 3, 2009
                                            I'm basically in agreement with the Youtube position as expounded by Curt and others. My concern is that if we host videos on BGT for reports, it needs to be done right. For example, if a video is embedded in a report, I would not want to see it starting to play until I clicked the viewer control button, as I might very well want to skip viewing it.

                                            The code for correctly embedding streaming video is not by any means straightforward, as I understand it, and I think it will need a major Report Writer revision, as well as (of course) changes to the upload interface. There is in interesting site at

                                            http://cit.ucsf.edu/embedmedia/step1.php

                                            which generates the code for various standard video streams.

                                            All of this is not rocket science so far as the web-savvy are concerned, but given that many of our testers are not comfortable with HTML (hence RW), I can't see them dealing with, for example, the code that follows, which embeds a Windows Media video file. The code includes the video dimensions (at the recommended minimum size), and turns off loop and autostart, both annoyances IMO. Windows Media or a similar format (e.g. Real) is preferred over straight AVI for compression/bandwidth issues. Finally, since many cameras etc. record in AVI, there is the conversion issue (there is freeware available, but again, that's another awkward step). The example follows.

                                            Ted

                                            <!-- begin embedded WindowsMedia file... -->
                                            <OBJECT id='mediaPlayer' width="320" height="285"
                                            classid='CLSID:22d6f312-b0f6-11d0-94ab-0080c74c7e95'
                                            codebase='http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.cab#Version=5,1,52,701'
                                            standby='Loading Microsoft Windows Media Player components...' type='application/x-oleobject'>
                                            <param name='fileName' value="http://www.backpackgeartest.org/media/windows/media.file">
                                            <param name='animationatStart' value='true'>
                                            <param name='transparentatStart' value='true'>
                                            <param name='autoStart' value="false">
                                            <param name='showControls' value="true">
                                            <param name='loop' value="false">
                                            <EMBED type='application/x-mplayer2'
                                            pluginspage='http://microsoft.com/windows/mediaplayer/en/download/'
                                            id='mediaPlayer' name='mediaPlayer' displaysize='4' autosize='-1'
                                            bgcolor='darkblue' showcontrols="true" showtracker='-1'
                                            showdisplay='0' showstatusbar='-1' videoborder3d='-1' width="320" height="285"
                                            src="http://www.backpackgeartest.org/media/windows/media.file" autostart="false" designtimesp='5311' loop="false">
                                            </EMBED>
                                            </OBJECT>
                                            <!-- ...end embedded WindowsMedia file -->
                                            <!-- begin link to launch external media player... -->
                                            <!-- ...end link to launch external media player... -->

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Oct 3, 2009
                                              That's simple. We'll only allow one format for upload.

                                              Jerry

                                              reviews and tests on the planet.

                                              My understanding of the way that youtube works is this.... people upload
                                              videos, and a script runs every few minutes that converts those videos to
                                              the proper format. If we're hosting on a linux server and have the ability
                                              to run programs, then we can essentially create the same style service as
                                              youtube without too much effort. The problem would be setting up the script
                                              to convert all the possibilities of filetypes that people upload.

                                              AB

                                              > I don't want it to *be* YouTube, I just want it to function like
                                              > YouTube.
                                              > All videos have to be stored on our site. We need to decide on a
                                              > format because I only want one. I'd rather the readers not have to
                                              > download a viewer, thus my description of *like* YouTube.
                                              >
                                              > Jerry

                                              database 4478 (20091003) __________

                                              http://www.eset.com

                                              database 4478 (20091003) __________

                                              http://www.eset.com
                                            • cdaignault
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Oct 5, 2009
                                                Just FYI -- I know there is a lot of support for using YouTube for this. Aside from the fact that I believe Jerry said it will be a requirement to host the videos on BGT's site, YouTube is blocked by a lot of locations at the firewall.

                                                I can't say for sure how many folks are surfing the web and reading BGT while at work, however, I'm pretty sure it's quite a few. If YouTube is blocked, it's a put-off for those attempting to read our newly video-enhanced reports [if we use YouTube].

                                                I am not able to view YouTube videos at work. I do a lot of my report-writing and editing from work [during breaks and lunchtime] because when I'm home, I'm off in the woods without a wire. Using YouTube would cause several issues for me with regard to writing and editing video-enhanced reports.

                                                I like Derek's suggestions for an app to create/serve the videos and I would prefer them to be hosted on BGT's site [since we have unlimited bandwidth and storage].

                                                That's my 2.5 cents. :)

                                                -- Chari [who can now breathe out of at least one nostril]

                                                --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Buskov" <rescue@...> wrote:

                                                > My understanding of the way that youtube works is this.... people upload
                                                > videos, and a script runs every few minutes that converts those videos to
                                                > the proper format. If we're hosting on a linux server and have the ability
                                                > to run programs, then we can essentially create the same style service as
                                                > youtube without too much effort. The problem would be setting up the script
                                                > to convert all the possibilities of filetypes that people upload.
                                                >
                                                > AB
                                                >
                                                > > I don't want it to *be* YouTube, I just want it to function like
                                                > > YouTube.
                                                > > All videos have to be stored on our site. We need to decide on a format
                                                > > because I only want one. I'd rather the readers not have to download a
                                                > > viewer, thus my description of *like* YouTube.
                                                > >
                                                > > Jerry

                                              • gdm320
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Oct 5, 2009
                                                  I'm not able to view BackpackGearTest.org at work. In fact, my work's internet filters only allow a text-only version of news.yahoo.com. The strictness of some companies and their internet filters cannot be the deciding factor in which service we use.

                                                  Greg M

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Oct 5, 2009
                                                    Wow, your company goes quite overboard, Greg.

                                                    However, I think you've just proved my point. YouTube and most video-streaming sites are blocked by most companies that employ firewalls. We *do* need to keep things like that in mind when determining ways in which to provide more content for our readers.

                                                    -- Chari

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Oct 5, 2009
                                                      I don't think it's logical to assume that most readers browse our reviews while they're at the office. I'd wager that most people do so from a "home" location with unrestricted access.

                                                      Greg M

                                                      --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "cdaignault" <chari.daignault@...> wrote:

                                                      > Wow, your company goes quite overboard, Greg.
                                                      >
                                                      > However, I think you've just proved my point. YouTube and most video-streaming sites are blocked by most companies that employ firewalls. We *do* need to keep things like that in mind when determining ways in which to provide more content for our readers.
                                                      >
                                                      > -- Chari
                                                    • Jerry Goller
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Oct 5, 2009
                                                        That really doesn't matter. YouTube just doesn't meet our requirements.

                                                        <chari.daignault@...> wrote:

                                                        > Wow, your company goes quite overboard, Greg.
                                                        >
                                                        > However, I think you've just proved my point. YouTube and most
                                                        video-streaming sites are blocked by most companies that employ firewalls.
                                                        We *do* need to keep things like that in mind when determining ways in which
                                                        to provide more content for our readers.

                                                        > -- Chari

                                                        database 4481 (20091005) __________

                                                        http://www.eset.com

                                                        database 4482 (20091005) __________

                                                        http://www.eset.com
                                                      • gdm320
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Oct 5, 2009
                                                          Okay, so at this point we need to figure out a particular format. How would that be accomplished? I'm assuming that different cameras and recording equipment will record in different formats, so is there a way to convert all of these different video formats into the "standard" we are looking for?

                                                          Greg M

                                                          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Goller" <ChiefModerator@...> wrote:

                                                          > That really doesn't matter. YouTube just doesn't meet our requirements.
                                                          >
                                                          > Jerry
                                                        • Dark Lazarus
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Oct 5, 2009
                                                            http://zamzar.com/

                                                            Converts anything (so they claim). Could be useful for those with odd formats.

                                                            kathryn