Application - Hennessey Deep Jungle hammock - Ed Morse

  • Ed
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2009
      Application - Hennessey Deep Jungle hammock - Ed Morse

      Please accept my application to test the Hennessey Deep Jungle hammock. I'm not losing sleep because I'm not a Survivor Contestant but I would like to test the Deep Jungle hammock.

      I have read and agree to comply with the newly revised Backpackgeartest bylaws, v. 0609. I will pay careful attention to Chapters 4, 5 and 6 and the new test format. I have been trying to keep up with new procedures from daily e-mails. I have been notified that my tester agreement is on file.

      Name: Edwin Morse
      Age: 71
      Gender: male
      Height: 5' 8" (173 cm)
      Weight: 150 lb (65 kg)

      Email address: ed dot morse at charter dot net
      City, State, Country: Grawn, Michigan, U.S.
      Date: October 2, 2009

      Backpacking background:
      I started backpacking in 1979 with two weeks in northern Michigan, along the shore of Lake Superior. My gear was cheap, heavy and painful. Starting pack weight was just over 70 lb (32 Kg), with food but no water. Since the first trip I have backpacked in Michigan, Maine, New Hampshire Pennsylvania, Florida and Minnesota. After about 12 years I started slowly reducing my pack weight. I keep trying new things to see what really works. I do NOT intentionally backpack when there is snow on the ground.

      Test Plan:

      When backpacking I prefer to use a hammock for three reasons; first is comfort and second is that the tarp gives me a dry place to eat and pack when there is precipitation and third is that I don't have to pack away a tent wet both top and bottom. I have long held a rule of not backpacking when there is snow, partly because it is cold and partly because I don't want to pack up a wet tent. The Hennessey Deep Jungle hammock with the radiant reflector pad might make colder and wetter camping less difficult. Between travel to visit relatives in Florida and Arizona I will be doing as much backpacking I can squeeze in. If the Deep Jungle hammock works as well as I hope I will extend my backpacking later in the fall and earlier in the spring.

      I own and use both a Hennessey hammock and a Jacks R Better hammock. I hope the Deep Jungle hammock combines most of the best features of both.

      I have two backpacking trips in planning stages. The first, an exploration and planning hike in November, will be one or two nights in the southern part of the Ocala National Forest. I will be searching accessible for water sources. This problem nearly made a disaster of my last hike in that area.

      The second, in January, will be a walk in Florida of about a week through the Ocala National Forest. Before snow starts in our area I will do several over night hikes which are generally planned the day before I go. These shorter trips will be in the nearby Manistee National Forest (MNF) or the Pere Marquette State Forest, one or two nights each time. After we get snow my outings will be either snowshoeing or cross country skiing day trips. The Manistee National Forest is in north central Lower Michigan. I look forward to finding out how well the Hennessey Deep Jungle hammock will handle my fall and early winter backpacking activities.

      I have two applications in waiting selections at this time.

      Previously written reports: I have completed 22 report series and two owner reports. I recently completed the LTRs for the MSR Skinny One tent, the Kuru Chicane hiking shoes LTR and the White Sierra Trabagon Rain Jacket
      .
      I am presently working on just two test series; Teko midweight hiking socks and just received the Teva Reva hiking shoes.

      Tests and reviews I have written may be found at the following location:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/slosteppin

      Thank you for considering this application and thanks to Hennessey for providing this hammock for evaluation and testing.