IR - Teva Dalea eVent - Rebecca SE

  • Rebecca Sowards-Emmerd
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2009
      Teva Dalea Mid eVent Boots
      Test Series by Rebecca Sowards-Emmerd
      Initial Report: October 1, 2009

      Tester Information

      Name: Rebecca Sowards-Emmerd

      Age: 31

      Gender: Female

      Height: 5'5" (1.65 m)

      Weight: 135 lb (61 kg)

      Email: rebecca@...

      Location: Sunnyvale, California

      Backpacking Background

      I spend most weekends, and many full weeks a year, exploring the
      variety of scenery and terrain that California has to offer. My
      favorite area is the Sierra Nevada, and I spend several weeks
      backpacking there each summer. I follow lightweight, but not
      ultralight, backpacking techniques and am known to carry a few luxury
      items from time to time. In addition to traditional backpacking I
      enjoy snowshoeing, skiing, and snowcamping, as well as long day hikes,
      geocaching, peak bagging, and running.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Teva

      Item: Dalea Mid eVent Boots

      Size: 9.5 (womens)

      Listed weight: none

      Measured weight: 2 lb 0.5 oz (pair)

      Year: 2009

      MSRP: $140

      Initial Report: October 1, 2009

      The Teva Dalea Mid is a waterproof leather mid-height women's boot.
      Specifically, it features Scotchguarded suede and nubuck outer, eVent
      waterproof membrane, and a Vibram sole for traction. The pair I
      received came in the color 'Chocolate Chip' which is a combination of
      standard leathery neutral shades of brown.

      Dalea Dalea Dalea

      I want to expand on my bio above to include some information about my
      feet. One of my most troublesome parts, I've spent years trying to
      dial in the perfect foot solution for the trail. To me, a holistic
      foot solution is made of up the trio of insoles, shoes, and socks.

      Dalea and footMy feet suffer from three problems - overpronation (flat
      feet), wide ball and narrow heel (duck feet), and toes that tilt
      funny. These problems all result in their own issues and I've had to
      deal with them all. My flat feet cause medial tibial stress ("shin
      splints") along with foot and hip pain. My wide forefoot and narrow
      heel cause terrible fit problems (usually resulting in blisters from
      heel slippage), and I often get blisters between my toes.

      I've been able to solve the flat foot issue with several visits to a
      sports podiatrist and custom orthotics. I've solved the toe blister
      problem with socks. And until recently, I had solved the fit problem
      with a light hiker style shoe that fit my duck feet perfectly.
      Unfortunately, that shoe has recently been redesigned and no longer
      fits my foot like a dream, so I have been on the lookout for a hiker
      that will fit my poor feet. I recently purchased a pair of lightweight
      Teva hikers that fit quite well, but wanted to try something more
      robust for the wet winter months. Enter the Dalea.

      With that background, I hope it's understandable that I was quite
      nervous upon trying these on for the first time, sight unseen.
      Miraculously, my feet slid into the Dalea perfectly. I typically wear
      a size 9.5 womens for athletic footwear (hiking and running), even
      though my standard measured size is closer to an 8.5-9. I usually
      stick to a regular width and suffer from some pinching in the ball of
      my foot (wide shoes tend to cause my heel to slip, resulting in
      painful blisters). All of my hiking and running shoes are size 9.5
      regular, so that is what I chose when ordering the Dalea. They fit
      just like I would expect - my foot feels very comfortable in them, but
      I can feel some extra room. Room that I want so my feet can swell.
      They feel slightly narrow in the forefoot (like almost every regular
      width shoe I wear), but nothing too tight or pinchy.

      I don't normally wear a mid height hiker or waterproof boots - I'm
      more of a lightweight trailrunner style girl. However, I often regret
      my choice of footwear when hiking in the Bay Area in the winter (due
      to mud and heavy rain), and I am also unable to use my typical
      footwear when I head up to the mountains to snowshoe. I am very
      excited to try out this well-fitting boot in the conditions where I
      hope it will excel.

      My testing plans include a lot of muddy dayhiking over the next
      several months. The rainy season will be upon us soon here in Northern
      California, and the local trails will change from their dusty, gravely
      terrain to slippery mud bogs. On these hikes, I'll be testing out the
      Dalea's traction, waterproofness, and ability to keep clean.

      On other weekends we'll be heading up to the mountains to play in the
      snow. I'll be trying out the Daleas with my Atlas snowshoes, and maybe
      even strap on some Kahtoola crampons if I have the chance. Lastly,
      I'll be taking the Daleas down to Death Valley for some cross-country
      peak bagging, exploration, and canyon hiking. The traction and
      durability of the Daleas will certainly be tested well under these
      conditions.

      These boots have already passed an enourmous hurdle simply by fitting
      my picky and hard-to-please feet. I'm really looking forward to
      getting them out on the trail!
    • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2009
        Rebecca,
        Do you have the link to your report?

        Jet

        backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com wrote on 10/01/2009 09:46:59 PM:

        > Teva Dalea Mid eVent Boots
        > Test Series by Rebecca Sowards-Emmerd
        > Initial Report: October 1, 2009
        >
        > Tester Information
        >
        > Name: Rebecca Sowards-Emmerd

      • Andrew Buskov
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 7, 2009
          Rebecca,

          I wasn't sure we were going ahead with this test, I never saw any messages
          cross the boards. I won't be so late on the FR, I promise. :-D

          You know the drill. Upload here: http://tinyurl.com/y8v5v7t

          AB

          > Product Information
          EDIT: Where's the URL?

          > These boots have already passed an enourmous hurdle simply by fitting
          EDIT: Enormous?