IR - Princeton Tec Remix Headlamp - JAMIE L

  • sportjamos
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2009

      Location:

      Hobart, Tasmania AUSTRALIA

      Gender:

      Male

      Height:

      1.70 m (5' 7")

      Weight:

      70 kg (154 lbs)

      I was introduced to backpacking/tramping/hiking as a young child in Boy Scouts and through my school physical/adventure education. After leaving school, I mainly did short daywalks until recently when I started to re-walk some of Tasmania's key routes and try others I was yet to attempt. I mainly walk in the winter months, in Tasmania's central highlands area. I prefer light gear, extended walks (3-5 days) in a group of 3 or shorter walks (1-3 days) walking solo. I would generally carry a base weight pack of around 8 kg - 10 kg (17 lbs - 22 lbs).
      Initial Report

      2nd October 2009
      Product Information & Specification

      Manufacturer:

      Princeton Tec

      Year of Manufacture:

      2009

      Manufacturer's Website:

      http://www.princetontec.com

      MSRP:

      US$44.99

      Listed Weight:

      83 g (2.9 oz)

      Measured Weight:

      83 g (2.9 oz) including batteries

      IR1

      IR2

      Images courtesy Princeton Tec

      3 Ultrabright LEDs with 1 Maxbright LED

      The Princeton Tec Remix headlamp is combination single Maxbright LED for a bright beam along with 3 Ultrabright LEDs for wide angle lighting. Both are contained within the one unit. The combination of the 2 beam settings is why Princeton Tec sell the Remix as a hybrid headlamp.

      Each beam setting has 2 options, high and low, giving the Remix a total of 4 settings. Princeton Tec's website states the Remix has the following burn times and beam ranges:

      LED Setting

      Maxbright HIGH

      Maxbright LOW

      Ultrabright HIGH

      Ultrabright LOW

      Burn Time

      28 hours

      53 hours

      61 hours

      200 hours

      Output

      45 Lumens

      20 Lumens

      30 Lumens

      4 Lumens

      Range

      45 m (148 ft)

      28 m (92 ft)

      28 m (92 ft)

      10 m (33 ft)

      Princeton Tec state that the Remix is water resistant and is powered by 3 AAA alkeline batteries (supplied). The Remix is black in colour with an adjustable wide elastic band which is easily removed from the headlamp unit. The top of the Remix features a large grey button whch is used to power on or off the headlamp as well as cycle through the LED modes. The Remix is supplied with comprehensive instructions in English, German & French which detail info such as installing the batteries, switch operation and troubleshooting.
      Initial Impressions of the Remix

      This is the first Princeton Tec product that I have owned, but I have always regarded Princeton Tec as a high quality manufacturer. After removing the Remix from the packet I immediately felt that it was strong and sturdy in its construction. Without reference to the instructions I was easily able to connect the headlamp to the elastic band and insert the batteries. One of the features I have already found that I prefer on this headlamp comparted to my others is the large battery door on the side of the headlamp. I was able to open the battery door and insert the 3 AAA batteries within around 30 seconds. The elastic band features a battery door tool which I did not need. By comparison to my other headlamps this is very quick as I usually need a knife blade or screwdriver to open the battery compartments.

      I actually have 3 other headlamps (maybe I have a gear addiction??!) and my first thoughts were that the Remix is quite chunky and heavy. Having said this, after playing around with the Remix for about 10 minutes after removing it from the packet, I decided that it isn't that bad, but it is slightly larger than my other 3 LED lamp. The Remix has adjustable tilt and I first found this to be very stiff. I was not able to adjust the tilt with one hand whilst wearing the headlamp. I had to hold the main body with one hand and tilt the lamp component with the other. Hopefully this will loosen up a little with more use. I am certainly not concerns about the tilt moving when I don't want it to.

      As the Remix has only one switch, it wasn't hard to figure out how to turn it on or cycle through the LED modes. Simply pressing the button will turn the Remix on. The default setting is high on what ever was the last LED set used (Maxbright or Ultrabright). Once the Remix is on, a single press of the button will switch to low setting. A second press of the button will turn the Remix off. To switch between LED modes you simply press and hold the button until the desired LED mode is selected. Turning the Remix off can be done 2 ways. Firstly cycling through the settings from high to low and then pressing the button again will turn the Remix off. Alternatively once the Remix has been on for 2 seconds, simply pressing the button will turn the power off. I managed to figure out the swith options without reference to the instructions.

      Wearing the Remix is quite comfortable. I was easily able to adjust the elastic band to achieve a secure fit that was did not feel too tight.

      Summary

      In general terms I am quite impressed with the Remix. It is certainly very bright! I find it comfortable to wear and easy to use. I have 2 simple initial concers. First is the colour black. This may proove the Remix hard to locate in my dark tent or at the bottom of my pack. I guess this will soon be discovered as I embark on my field testing. The second is that there is no flash/blink mode on the Remix. As a keen cyclist I quite often use a headlamp under my helmet on flash as an extra saftey light that I can flick to a beam for increased vision. This wont be an option with the Remix.

      I usually carry 2 headlamps when out walking, a wide angle multi LED for use around camp and reading and a single bright LED for navigation and walking around in the dark. Given the hybrid design of the Remix I intend using it as my principle headlamp over the coming months during my testing.

      This concludes my Initial Report of the Princeton Tec Remix headlamp.My Field Report will be avaiable in December.

      My thanks to Princeton Tec and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this product.
    • Ralph
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2009
        Hello Jamie,
        Here are your few edits.
        You know the drill.
        Delete the copy in the test folder when done.
        It is a well set out report. Love the colour difference of the table.

        Ralph

        > Princeton Tec state that the Remix is water resistant and is powered by 3 AAA alkeline batteries (supplied). The Remix is black in colour with an adjustable wide elastic band which is easily removed from the headlamp unit. The top of the Remix features a large grey button whch is used to power on or off the headlamp as well as cycle >
        > I actually have 3 other headlamps (maybe I have a gear addiction??!) and my first thoughts were that the Remix is quite chunky and heavy. Having said this, after playing around with the Remix for about 10 minutes after removing it from the packet, I decided that it isn't that bad, but it is slightly larger than my other 3 LED lamp.
        # EDIT: other 3 LED lamp(s).

        I am certainly not (concerns) about the tilt moving when I don't want it to.
        # EDIT: concerned
        > Summary

        I have 2 simple initial concers. First is the colour black. This may (proove) the Remix hard to locate in my dark tent or at the bottom of
        # EDIT: prove

        increased vision. This (wont) be an option with the Remix.
        #EDIT: won't
      • sportjamos
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 5, 2009
          Cheers Ralph... all uploaded with test folder version deleted....

          JL