Re: [ATTN BGT Mods/Call MGRs] .docx files in the Files section...

  • Roger Ault
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
      Here is an even better answer for everyone. Go to this site http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/ha100444731033.aspx and install the compatability pack and you will be able to open all docx docements.

      It only took a couple of minutes and a Google search to find the answer.

      Roger

      --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Vickers" <redroach@...> wrote:

      > Working on it now I think
      > Patience grasshoppers
      >
      > TV

    • redbike64
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
        FWIW when I click either folder in files I get a prompt to download a winzip file which, upon downloading and unzipping does not reveal a .docx file. It instead spatters an even dozen .xml files, none of which opens in Word 2007.

        Recommend reposting the actual Word file, or a pdf, rather than zipping. The original can't be large.

        Cheers,

        Rick

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Ault" <chance4272@...> wrote:

        > I have converted these docs to .pdf files. Someone tell me where to email them because I cannot post in the files section. I am sure this would solve the problem for everyone to be able to read.
        >
        > Roger
        >

        > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Vickers" <redroach@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Working on it now I think
        > > Patience grasshoppers
        > >
        > > TV

      • Thomas Vickers
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
          HTML here:

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/PGTM-LTR-TV/

          Long Term Report
          October 1, 2009

          Locations: Southeast Texas, Sam Houston National Forest, W.G. Jones State
          Forest, and Padre Island National Sea Shore
          Temperatures: 80 - 100 F ()
          Stoves used: Home-built alcohol, MSR Simmerlight
          Pots used:m

          Preparation:
          One of the things that I liked was that all of the meals I tested were one
          pot meals. Only a couple required anything extra and the instructions were
          clear that the bag was a good substitute for a second pot. My experience
          was that this was a perfect way to keep the kitchen needs to a minimum and
          save on washing chores after a meal. I used one of two pots on this test.
          The one serving meals were perfect for my smaller pot and the two serving
          meals required a bit larger cooking vessel. No matter what size pot was
          needed, it was definitely nice that only one of them was ever needed.

          The meals came equipped with a lot of extras such as hot sauce, gravy
          pouches, and other items that helped make great meals, but left me with a
          severely cluttered cook site afterwards. I do not feel that it created too
          much trash because the included items were of great benefit in making the
          meals a complete and savory dining experience. I would rather create a
          little more trash to carry out and enjoy a first class meal than suffer
          through some tasteless dreck for the sake of less trash.

          The one word of advice that want to share is that every meal can benefit
          from the free (but must be added to each meal separately) is the Tool Kit.
          This includes salt, pepper, moist towelet, and a paper 'prep' mat to prepare
          the meal on. While it is a little extra to carry, it is nice little extra
          that comes in real handy. I never realized how much of a difference that a
          clean piece of paper to put ingredients on or cut sausage on makes while in
          the woods.

          In the end, I feel that these meals are easy. Most of them just require
          boiling water, the ingredients, and maybe some simmering to create a tasty
          and feeling meal.

          Portions:
          The one issue that I have with these meals is the portion size. The one
          serving meals were great for breakfast or lunch, but seemed a bit skimpy for
          dinner. Being able to add dehydrated meat to the pasta meals is one way I
          think I could stretch them into more filling portions, but did not try
          during this test.

          The two portion meals were no where near two portions for me. I am not a
          huge portion hound, but when hungry on the trail, I need to eat. The two
          portion meals all worked to about 1.5 meals/portions for me. I could get one
          nice meal out of the package and then almost enough for a lunch or
          breakfast. The only issue with this is that cooking a meal for dinner would
          leave me with leftovers and I am not thrilled about keeping prepared food in
          my camp overnight no matter where I hike.

          I am not sure if I have an answer for the portion question in my head, but
          it is something that makes wonder how I would prepare for a long trip using
          these meals.

          Entree Notes:
          Creamy Italian Polenta with Sausage
          Stove used: alcohol stove
          My breakfast of choice on the trail has long been oatmeal. It sticks with
          me, is easy to cook, and is even easier to carry. On a long 9 mile ( km)
          hike along the LoneStar Trail, I stopped and cooked up the Creamy Italian
          Polenta with Sausage for breakfast.   It was pretty easy and all I had to do
          was heat water with my alcohol stove, bring the water to a boil, then mix in
          the polenta and sausage.  When it had cooked for a few minutes I pulled the
          polenta off the heat, added some parmesan cheese, and waited for things to
          cool off.

          The wait was more than worth it. I was starving after hiking for about two
          miles ( km) and the Polenta was tasty. It had a great texture and most
          importantly it filled me up. It was just enough for a hot breakfast or
          lunch, but not enough for a dinner. While I am not a grits fan, this polenta
          was pretty close to what I consider grits and I would eat it again. In fact,
          I am pretty sure that I have found something to alternate with my oatmeal
          while planning trail breakfasts.

          My only complaint with this meal was that the accessory kit that I requested
          with it came with a moist wipe that was completely dried out when I opened
          it. Other than that, this was a fast, easy, and hot meal that combined great
          taste with an easy prep.

          Jump Start Fruit Smoothie
          Stove used: none
          This was something that I never thought I was going to be able to use or
          enjoy. It was peach flavored and I loathe peaches and during the Texas
          summer I had no idea where I would find the cold water that the instructions
          called for. Guess what? I fooled the hell out of myself on this one. After
          camping for three days on the beach I was hot, parched, and pretty much
          tired of drinking beer or water.  I broke out the Jump Start Fruit Smoothie,
          mixed it with melted ice water from an ice chest and let it sit for a few
          minutes.

          I cannot even begin to describe how refreshing it was. It was cool. It was
          fruity. It hit the spot on a scorching morning at Padre Island National Sea
          Shore.  For someone who really does not like peaches, I really liked this
          drink. My only issue is that the fruit chunks needed to soak and rehydrate a
          bit longer, but I was thirsty and in search of something cool to drink. I
          have to give this item a great deal of respect. It was so much better than I
          imagined and was a welcome relief from plain water.

          Bangers & Mash
          Stove used: MSR Simmerlite
          I love potatoes and was very hesitant about this meal. Instant potatoes are
          not big on my list of "good things" and this is basically a meal of instant
          potatoes.   This is also another meal where ordering the free "accessory
          kit" is a good idea. It gave me a clean area to prep the sausage on and that
          is important since this was a multi-step meal for me."

          The first thing I had to do was heat 10 ounces of water on my alcohol stove.
          Once that came to a boil it was time to pour half the water on the  potato
          mixture which I had dumped in the plastic prep pouch.  I dumped the cut up
          sausage and dried vegetable pouch into the other half of my water and let it
          soak while I refilled the stove with fuel and got it burning again.

          While the sausage and vegetables boiled (Packit Gourmet recommends a
          simmer), I mixed the potatoes in the preparation pouch and waited. Once I
          got to the seven minute mark, I pulled the gravy (Sausage and vegetables) of
          the stove and poured the potatoes back into the pot. I mixed everything
          rather well, added the parmesan cheese and dried onions, and let it cool.
          YUMMY. Once again Packit Gourmet has packed a great tasting meal into my
          mouth. The only down side to this meal was that it was not quite enough for
          me when I was on the trail and starving at lunch time. I ate it and wanted
          more. Actually, I needed more. I had to eat some of my cheese to keep me
          from cooking another meal. This is not really a bad thing, but I would not
          consider this enough food for a dinner or a lunch if I am VERY hungry.
          Breakfast though is another thing. While I tried it for lunch, it would
          definitely make a very filling, hot, and tasty breakfast.

          Trailside Bean and Cheese Burrito
          Stove used: none
          This meal made me smile when I read about it on the website. I have been
          using dehydrated black beans for a fast trail lunch for years. Packit
          Gourmet takes this idea a step further with this entree. While the
          instructions call for it to be spooned into a fresh tortilla, I prefer to
          eat it with a spoon or on bread of some sort. Any way this meal is prepared
          it is nice to be able to add water to the bag in the morning and have lunch
          ready by the time I stopped around noon. There were cook and eat
          instructions, but I went with the 'cold' bag option and had a great lunch.
          This was a great new take on an old standard for me.

          While the portion is small, eating it on bread more than fills me up which
          makes it a great lunch or even an addition to a dinner if I wanted something
          lighter to top off a big meal.

          Zydeco Red Beans and Rice
          Stove used: MSR Simmerlite
          This was one big meal and it took my big pot to cook it in. My only issue
          with it was that it was not quite the two people serving that it was
          supposed to be. I cooked this up one evening and got to eating as soon as
          it was cool enough to poke in my mouth. This was a tasty meal that I will
          use again on the trail. It tasted too good to keep out of my food sack and
          it was nice and filling. Best of all, there was just enough left for cold
          breakfast in the morning.

          One thing I would do different is to soak the ingredients for about ten
          minutes before cooking. I think this would make sure that the sausage and
          beans were good and ready to cook. They were pretty well done after
          following the cooking instructions, but I am pretty sure a little more
          pre-soak time would make a great meal just a little better.

          Diner Deluxe Scrambled Eggs
          Stove used: MSR Simmerlite
          I am very wary of trail eggs. There has not been one example of a good
          dehydrated egg meal that has ever passed my lips. Part of me wanted to
          divide this meal into two halves and see if half of the two person portion
          would be enough for a meal, but having to face two egg meals was something I
          could not do.

          The good news is that I probably should have. I used an old pot lid/frying
          pan I had and cooked these eggs according to the directions and I was
          surprised. They were good. Not just a passable egg related meal, but a good
          textured, non lumpy, great tasting egg breakfast. It was easy to mix the
          eggs in the pouch and smooth the lumps out and then cook the mixture on the
          frying pan. I am probably sounding a bit crazed here, but this was a good
          meal. More importantly, it was a great egg meal.

          I do think that after mixing the eggs mixture and water that it needs to
          soak for a few minutes. The vegetables were still a bit crunchy when I
          started eating and few extra minutes soaking would have made them even
          better. As far as the portion size went, this was another 1.5 serving meal
          for me. I got one nice meal and just enough for a smaller meal out of this
          package instead of two full meals. Despite that, I will be adding this to
          my pack for trail breakfasts in the future.

          Market Pasta Puttanesca
          Stove used: MSR Simmerlite
          This was a tasty meal. I am not a huge pasta fan, but for a nice warm meal
          it was a big step above ramen noodles or any other instant noodles meals.
          The addition of the sauce and dry vegetables was a touch that really makes
          this a treat. I am very used to plain cheesy pasta dishes on the trail, but
          this dish was just different enough to make me want to try it again.

          The serving size was just on the verge of being enough for a dinner and a
          bit too much for lunch. Adding dehydrated tuna or turkey to it would
          probably make it just the perfect portions size for a trail dinner. As with
          most of the Packit Gourmet meals, the veggies are what make this meal a
          notch better. The added texture and flavors just adds enough zip to make it
          better than I expected.

          Austintcious Tortilla Soup
          Stove used: MSR Simmerlite
          I am not a soup person during the summer. It is just too hot on most
          evenings to enjoy a soup and during lunch time it is just too blazing hot to
          think about it. I finally broke down and gave this meal a try on an evening
          in the Sam Houston National Forest. I cooked up the soup in my small pot,
          poured some into my cup and sat back and watched the sun set.

          Give me a cold afternoon and this would have been the perfect lunch or a
          great appetizer on a cold night before dinner. I just wanted to do a little
          dance after adding the lime juice/flavor packet to the soup. This meal was
          a perfect example of how Packit Gourmet handles their meals. They take
          something comfortable and easy to prepare and add just enough zing to make
          it a step above any other trail meals that I have used. While I would not
          claim that this was a meal by itself, at least at dinner time, it would make
          a great breakfast or lunch on a cold day. A great vista to enjoy while
          sipping would just be an added extra.

          Pasta Salad Primavera
          Stove used: MSR Simmerlite
          This meal kind of confused me. It comes as a large two serving pouch, but
          the instructions claim that it can be used as a side dish. This seemed a bit
          strange to me, but I went ahead and made it as a dinner dish. I followed the
          cook ahead directions at lunch time and let it soak/prep all afternoon in
          the preparation pouch. When I got to camp that night I set up camp and did
          not have to cook at all. I ate most of this meal and was happy that on a hot
          evening I was not squatting over a roaring stove to cook a meal.

          The sun dried tomatoes made this an extra tasty dish and I agree with the
          packaging that suggested tuna or salmon could be added. Dehydrated tuna
          would have added some extra to this meal and might have allowed me to
          stretch it into two full servings rather than the 1.5 it made for me. This
          meal really was a relief since I could prep it earlier in the day and have a
          full sized meal ready when I set up camp.

          Nawlins YaYa Gumbo
          Stove used: MSR Simmerlite
          I saved this meal for last because I had very high expectations for it. As
          far as flavor and satisfaction go, no Packit Gourmet meal had let me down
          yet and being a huge gumbo fan, I was hoping that this meal would live up to
          my self induced hype. The good news is that I was not disappointed. The
          gumbo came the closest to being a true 2 serving meal, but I managed to eat
          about 75% of it in one sitting. It was that good. I also think that if I had
          been forced to share it with someone, I would not have been anywhere near as
          stuffed or as happy as I was.

          The prep was a bit more intensive than on the other meals and I had to pay
          attention while cooking this meal because of it being multi-step. Preparing
          the flour and making the 'roux' was interesting, but the amount of work paid
          off in the end. I made a BIG pot of gumbo and ate till I was stuffed. It was
          far closer to gumbo than I had really expected and I even got a laugh out of
          the instructions telling me to watch out for the bay leaf. This meal was a
          satisfying way to finish off this test.

          Final thoughts:
          These meals are good. They have great flavors, taste, and textures. It is
          one thing for a trail meal to be filling and nutritious, but something
          completely different to be filling, nutritious, and full of flavor. The
          only way to describe my first Packit Gourmet food experience is
          'fulfilling." I was never really left with the feeling that something was
          missing flavor or ingredient wise and while the prep could be more
          complicated than I liked it was worth the effort.

          These meals do generate a bit more small 'trash items' than I am used to,
          but it was easy to pick up the clutter and stuff it in the prep bag for
          packing out. This trash comes from the extras, but they are well worth the
          effort to make these meals just a step better than I had expected. I am
          looking forward to using the meals again despite the issues that I had with
          portion size. They are just too good to leave behind and they will make a
          great addition to my food bag in the future.
        • redbike64
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
            (replying to my own post) I was able to open the files directly into Word from a different (Vista, not XP) PC using Firefox instead of MS IE. I can now see that some folks can have no problem while others are completely stymied. I don't know what the key vairable is (unless the source files have been switched).

            The Deep Jungle hammock sounds interesting, based on the sketchy description. Double-walled to easily accommodate under-insulation?

            Cheers,

            Rick

            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "redbike64" <redbike64@...> wrote:

            > FWIW when I click either folder in files I get a prompt to download a winzip file which, upon downloading and unzipping does not reveal a .docx file. It instead spatters an even dozen .xml files, none of which opens in Word 2007.
            >
            > Recommend reposting the actual Word file, or a pdf, rather than zipping. The original can't be large.
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > Rick
          • Brian Tannehill
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
              I believe you can just rename it as a .doc and it will open. Ive done
              that before and its worked.

              Brian

              On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 8:15 PM, gdm320 <gdm320@...> wrote:
              > The .docx files in the download section to serve as reference for the two Hennessy Hammock test calls are a real, real, real pain to try convert and open for those of us living in the pre-Word 2007 stone age.
              >
              > Would it be possible to obtain the same file from HH saved in a more generic format?
              >
              > Greg M

            • Hollis Easter
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
                Only if your version of Word is recent enough that it understands XML
                file formats. Otherwise it'll harf on the input.*

                * technical term

                Hollis