[IR] Jetboil Flash Stove -- Greg McDonald

  • gdm320
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 23, 2009
      Hey Heather,

      Here is my IR for your editing pen. This is my first series (well, review for that matter) on a stove/cooking vessel so I'm open to any suggestions if I missed anything or skimped on anything. Thanks in advance for your edits, link is below and the text follows.

      Greg M

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20Jetboil%20Flash%20GM/

      JETBOIL FLASH STOVE
      TEST SERIES BY GREG MCDONALD
      IR
      September 23, 2009

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Greg McDonald
      EMAIL: gdm320 AT yahoo DOT com
      AGE: 22
      LOCATION: Boynton Beach, Florida
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 0" (1.83 m)
      WEIGHT: 225 lb (102.00 kg)

      I have been camping for 17 years, 12 of them have been spent hiking in the backcountry. My hikes are almost exclusively in Florida and generally range between one and three nights. My all-time favorite hike was a 10 day expedition in the Philmont Scout Ranch in Cimarron, New Mexico. I consider myself a lightweight but comfortably equipped hiker, with a pack averaging between 25 and 30 lb (11 and 14 kg).

      INITIAL REPORT

      Product Information & Specifications

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Jetboil">><<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Jetboil Flash" IMAGE CAPTION = "Image Courtesy of Jetboil">>Manufacturer: Jetboil
      Model: Flash
      Year of Manufacture: 2009
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.jetboil.com" LINK TEXT = "http://www.jetboil.com">>
      MSRP: US $99.95
      Listed Weight: Not Available
      Measured Weight (Total): 15.2 oz (431 g)
      Listed Vessel Capacity: 1 Liter
      Listed Fuel Consumption: 100 g per hour
      Color Tested: Carbon (Also available in Gold, Violet, and Sapphire)

      Measured Weight Breakdown:
      1L Vessel with Insulating Sleeve: 7.3 oz (207 g)
      Lid: 1.0 oz (28.35 g)
      Bottom Cover:1.0 oz (28.35 g)
      Burner: 4.9 oz (139 g)
      Canister Stabilizer: 1.0 oz (28.35 g)

      Initial Impressions

      Right out of the box the Flash struck me as a cool piece of equipment, although it was a little larger than I was originally expecting. However, once I got it opened up and realized how all the different components fit together in this one package I was more than pleased with it.

      The first thing I did was open up the instructions and had a read. My dad always taught me that "when all else fails, then read the directions" but I've modified that rule in recent years to permit reading them before hand when it comes to things that could potentially explode in my face or set me on fire. These particular instructions were rather straight forward, but nevertheless very helpful. I am skipping the "operating instructions" portion of the directions in this section because it will be covered further on in the report.

      Jetboil has easily diagramed many aspects of the setup, assembly, and storage of the Flash that I found very helpful in learning my way around the rig.

      I sort of made up my own assembly instructions that seemed a bit more natural to me than Jetboil's process. I clipped the fuel canister onto the canister stabilizer (also referred to as the "base" throughout this report), then flipped the bale (knobby thing that controls the fuel valve) and screwed the burner onto the canister. Then I removed the base cup from the bottom of the cooking vessel and attached the vessel to the burner. Pretty simple I suppose . . . certainly not rocket science.

      One cool thing I stumbled across in the instructions is an explanation of the color changing heat indicator on the insulating sleeve. According to Jetboil, the Jetboil logo on the sleeve will turn from black to orange at approximately 140F (60 C). This is a feature that strikes me as being potentially very useful at keeping my foot or drink at the right temperature while simultaneously keeping me from burning myself.

      Also included at the end of the instructions are storage and cleaning instructions as well as basic troubleshooting and maintenance which I will cover later on in my Field and Long Term reports.

      Three... two... one... Ignition!

      It is true that I cheated a little bit and read the instructions before trying the Flash out for the first time. Still, it's a fairly standard process. Turn on the fuel by turning the control valve, and then press the igniter button. If all goes according to plan, we have ignition. Sure enough the first attempt went off without a hitch and I was off and running. I filled the vessel to the 2 cup recommended fill line and sat back to enjoy the scorching Florida heat wondering to myself why in the world hot tea would seem like a good idea for the first test run on my new stove.

      I did get to make a few observations about the Flash while I was waiting for my water to come to a rolling boil. With a brand new 100 g Jetboil Jetpower fuel canister I was pretty happy with the amount of heat being generated by the burner. I didn't really toy around with the heat control all that much the first time out - I just cranked it to full and let it power its way towards a boil. I'm not really expecting a whole lot in terms of flame and heat control since the Fuse appears to primarily be a boiling machine and boiling water is about as difficult as my meals get to prepare but I will still be paying close attention to this over the course of the testing period.

      The insulating cozy proved to be useful as I was still able to handle the pot even at the boiling temperatures. Even with the slightly smaller fuel canister (the 100 g canister as opposed to the 300 g option) I was not at all worried about the stability thanks to the canister stabilizer and even on a slightly tilted patch or grass I had no wobbling to contend with.

      Once the water came to a boil I shut the stove down and added my tea bags to let it brew. The directions indicate to go ahead and remove the vessel from the burner and replace the bottom cup onto the bottom to protect me from burning myself on the bottom and to retain heat. I have to admit that I was a little bit nervous about this because the last thing I wanted to do was melt the bottom cup on my first run. So I let it cool for a few minutes first, and then put the bottom cup back on. I snapped the lid on and let my tea brew for a while. Once the tea was ready I enjoyed it straight from the vessel with the included lid. I really enjoyed being able to prepare and drink my tea in the same mug - the fewer dishes to clean the better in my opinion.

      Once I was finished with my morning tea I rinsed the vessel with a bit of water and packed the burner, canister stabilizer, and canister back inside and was ready to go.

      Down the Trail

      The test run and my early impressions of the Flash have all been very positive. I am excited about the opportunity to get the Flash out into the field for an extended period of time to see how it performs.

      One of the things I like most up-front about the Flash is the versatility. I like that the entire vessel is one large drinking mug so I don't have to change between my boiling vessel and my cup. I like how the cozy makes the vessel bearable even fresh off the burner. I like how the bottom cup serves as an additional measure or drinking cup if I need it to. The built in igniter is nice because it makes a lighter less of a necessity since I always pack emergency matches anyway. Most of all I really like how all the components pack down into one package of reasonable size and weight.

      Now the performance aspect of the Flash must be put to the test. I am interested to see how quite a few things will pan out during the testing period. Of course, Jetboil's boil time of "less than two minutes" for 2 cups (.5 L) of water will be put to the test. I'm also going to make an attempt to track the fuel consumption of the Flash to see how close it is to Jetboil's claim of 100 g per hour. Then obviously I'll be looking to see how the entire rig stands up to the rough and tumble of the outdoors, especially that igniter.

      This concludes my Initial Report on the Jetboil Flash. Please check back in November for my Field Report where I am sure I will have plenty of new information to share on the Flash's performance. I'd like to thank Jetboil and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to participate in this test series.

      Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.
    • Heather
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2009
        Greg,

        Nice html. Hot tea in FL in August? Eek. Your report is fine, no edits so far. How long did that 2cup test run take to boil?

        `heather
      • gdm320
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2009
          It took 2 minutes and 10 seconds (give or take a few seconds). Thanks for point out that I completely left that out of my report! I'll see you for the FR!

          Greg M