IR - Jetboil Flash - Andy

  • a_henrichs
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 23, 2009
      Hello,

      Here is my IR for the Flash. The html can be found at: http://tinyurl.com/lynfle . It's not my best report, but this week has been absolutely insane between work and school. I'll be OOP for the next 4 days, too. After more work this morning, I'm much more happy with it. Please feel free to be brutal if you see anything that needs work. Thanks for the edits!

      Andy

      Jetboil Flash Stove

      Test Series by Andy Henrichs

      September 19, 2009

      Initial Report - 9-19-09

      Biographical Information

      Name:  Andy Henrichs
      Age:  28
      Gender:  Male
      Height:  6' 2" (1.88 m)
      Weight:  185 lb (83.9 kg)
      Email address:  andyhenrichs(at)gmail(dot)com
      City, State, Country:  Golden, Colorado, USA

      Backpacking Background

         Most of my backpacking has been in the mountains of Colorado and the deserts in the southwestern US.  I've gone winter camping several times, but I still prefer backpacking in the warmer months.  Most of my trips are 2-3 days, but I have taken several trips of 5-6 days.  In the summer of 2004, I was fortunate enough to have thru-hiked the 476 mile Colorado Trail over 35 days.  Recently, I have been leaning towards the lightweight side of the spectrum.

      The Jetboil Flash all packed up and ready to go

      Initial Report

      Product Information

      Manufacturer:  Jetboil (www.jetboil.com)

      Year of Manufacture: 2009

      Manufacturers Stated Weight: 14 oz (379 g)

      Testers Measured Weight (cup, cozy, lid, burner, measuring cup/base cover, canister tripod): 15.5 oz (429 g)
      Testers Measured Weight (cup and cozy): 7.5 oz (213 g)
      Testers Measured Weight (lid): 1 oz (30 g)
      Testers Measured Weight (burner): 5 oz (142 g)
      Testers Measured Weight (measuring cup): 1 oz (30 g)
      Testers measured Weight (canister tripod): 1 oz (30 g)
      Colors Available: Gold, Violet, Sapphire, Carbon
      MSRP: $99.95 US

      Product Description

      The Jetboil Flash is a new version of the self-contained cook system. It consists of a 1 L (4 cups) cup with insulated cozy, a burner with piezoelectric igniter, a translucent plastic lid, a translucent plastic base cover (which doubles as a 1 cup (.25 L) measuring cup), and an orange fuel canister tripod. When packed, the Jetboil Flash measures 7.25 in (18.5 cm) tall and 4.25 in (11 cm) in diameter. Attached to the bottom of the cup and enclosed by some thin metal is a "FluxRing." This is a wavy section of metal that serves as a heat exchanger to improve the efficiency of the stove. According to the packaging, this FluxRing "cooks faster and uses half the fuel." The burner assembly is nice and compact. There is a small black button that triggers the piezoelectric igniter. When pushed, it produces a solid "click" and a small spark is visible over the burner. The flame output is controlled by a small rectangular section of wire. When not in use, the wire folds back underneath the burner body and stows away nicely. The neoprene cozy that surrounds the metal cup has a webbing handle and hang loop on one side. On the opposite side, it has a small webbing loop for slotting utensils. Between the two lies a color changing heat indicator. According to Jetboil, the three lines that constitute the Jetboil logo on the cozy turn orange when the contents of the stove are hot. The cup attaches securely to the burner assembly and the orange tripod serves to add more stability to the system. The tripod, burner, and 100 g (3.5 oz) Jetboil fuel canister (not included) stow easily inside the cup. According to the manufacturer, the Jetboil Flash boils 2 C (.5 L) of liquid in 2 minutes; a 100 g (3.5 oz) Jetboil fuel canister lasts for 60 minutes; and a 100 g (3.5 oz) fuel canister will boil 12 L (406 oz) of water.

      A labeled view of the Jetboil Flash and its components

      A look inside the Flash with the tripod and burner packed away

      The fuel canister tripod unfolded

      A lateral view of the FluxRing

      The flame control wire folded away

      The flame control wire unfolded

      Initial Impressions

      When I first unpacked the Jetboil, I was very impressed with how well everything was stowed away. The legs on the orange tripod fold inwards and take up very little space when packing. The tripod attaches very firmly to small or large fuel canisters. When first trying it out, it actually took some prying before I could get the tripod to release the canister. The tripod, burner, and a small fuel canister fit inside the cup with about .5 in (1.3 cm) to spare. The burner and fuel canister can be stowed connected or separated. The burner uses standard thread screw-on style fuel canisters. The base cover attaches to the base of the cup with three small plastic tabs. Slot them into corresponding holes in the base of the cup, give it a quarter turn, and the base cover is attached. This cover also serves as a measuring cup with a small lip that marks 1 C (250 mL). On the interior of the cup, there is an engraved line halfway up the side with the words "Max Safe Fill 2 Cups." While the cup can hold 1 L (4 cups) of liquid, this much liquid would likely boil over when heated.

      When assembled, the unit is quite solid. The burner attaches to the cup by slotting some small metal bumps into corresponding grooves and twisting to lock. I was impressed that the Jetboil Flash is quite stable even when the cup is filled with water. When the Flash arrived I found a previously used fuel canister from another stove manufacturer, screwed it onto the Jetboil, and lit it up. It ignited without any problems, but I was less than impressed with the heat output. It just sounded wimpy. I soon realized that was because the fuel canister I was using was nearly empty. I proceeded to use the Flash three times over the next two days while camping and hiking. Each use, I boiled 2 C (.5 L) of water for tea and timed how long the water took to boil. The first two uses were with the nearly-empty fuel canister. Both of these uses took place at an elevation of approximately 8,300 ft (2,500 m). Temperatures were approximately 40 F (4 C). The water took six minutes and 50 seconds to boil during the first use and seven minutes and 30 seconds to boil during the second use. I used 10 g (.4 oz) of fuel to boil these 4 C (1 L). The final use was with a brand new Jetboil fuel canister at an elevation of 12,000 ft. The air temperature was approximately 65 F (18 C). The new canister made a huge difference. The stove lit with a roar and the 2 C (.5 L) of water boiled in three minutes. Not what Jetboil claims, but not bad nonetheless. I found that the temperature indicator does indeed turn orange when the contents are hot, but it completes the change before the contents are actually boiling. During the next phase of the test, I will measure the temperature of the water to determine at what temperature the indicator is totally orange. When hiking, I stowed the Flash in a water bottle pocket on the side of my fanny pack. It would occasionally rattle as my travels led me over rocks and around logs, but this could easily be remedied by stuffing a bandanna in the top of the Flash before I put the lid on. So far I've been very happy with the Jetboil, but I have a lot more testing to do.

      This concludes my Initial Report.  I will append this report with my Field Report in approximately two months.  Check back then for further details.

      Thank you to Jetboil and BackpackGearTest.org for giving me the opportunity to test this stove.
    • Heather
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2009
        Andy,

        Great detailed pictures! Only one missing conversion, no real edits though.

        Thanks!
        `heather

        > The final use was with a brand new Jetboil fuel canister at an elevation of 12,000 ft.

        Edit- conversion