Application to Test - JanSport Klamath - Brian Hartman

  • Brian Hartman
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2009
      Please accept my application to test the JanSport Klamath 55 Pack.  I
      have read the BackpackGearTest Survival Guide, version 0609, including
      Chapter 5, and I will follow all requirements.  I have also completed
      the tester agreement and submitted it as required.

      Tester Bio
      Name:  Brian Hartman
      Age: 41
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 9" (1.7 Meters)
      Weight: 145 Pounds (66 Kilograms)
      Email address: bhart1426@...
      City , State, Country: Noblesville,
      Indiana,
      U.S.
      Date: September 7, 2009

      Backpacking
      Background:  I have been hiking and camping for over 20 years and enjoy
      backpacking solo as well as with my kids in Scouting.  My backpack and
      gear are older and weigh 30+ lbs (13 kg).  This has limited the
      distances I have been able to cover while hiking.  My goal over the
      next several years is to replace my existing clothing and gear with
      more suitable and lighter weight alternatives.
      Field Information:  My testing will take place mainly in the Midwest with trips to Michigan , Wisconsin, Ohio and Southern Indiana.
      Temperatures during the next three months typically range at 75 F (24 C).  The precipitation during fall averages 3
      inches (7 cm) per month.  I plan to test this pack during several
      multi-day camping and backpacking trips I have planned over the next
      few months including a week long backpacking trip through Brown County State Park in Indiana.  In addition, I will take it with me on my son's weekend Scouting campouts this fall.  I intend to use this backpack often over the next several months.

      Test Strategy:  I currently use an external frame backpack so I am excited to see how this pack compares.  My current pack is able to carry heavy loads but is awkward when hiking on uneven terrain and cumbersome for overnight trips.  It is also weighs alot.  JanSport
      describes the Klamath 55 as a multi-purpose backpack designed for rugged durability and easy adjustability on week-long treks.  I am anxious to test this
      pack and see if it can comfortably carry my gear.

      My current weekend gearlist weighs 28 lbs (13kg).  Among other things, I will be
      testing this backpack based on its fit, durability, features and
      capacity.  Some of the questions I will ask are:

      Fit: How well does this pack fit me?  Is it easy to get on and off?  Are the shoulder straps
      well designed and padded?  How adjustable are the harness and hip belt
      for a customized fit?  Does the backpanel allow ventilation
      or is a sweaty back still a result of using an internal frame pack?  Finally, does the hip-belt do a good job of supporting my
      load?

      Durability: Is
      the pack well constructed?   Is the fabric resistant to snagging and
      tears?  Are there any problems or defects in the material or zippers?
      How well does it stand up to bad weather, frequent use and bushwacking?

      Features:
      Does this
      pack have useable compartments for separating
      items?  Are pockets easily accessible?  How easy is it to rig the
      hydration sleeve and what size reservoir will it fit?   How well do the
      load compression straps work?

      Capacity:
      How much room is there in the main compartment for packing my items?
      Do all of the items I typically carry fit in this pack?  How large are
      the individual compartments?

      I am very excited about being able to test the JanSport Klamath 55 Pack.  I have lots of trips planned and intend to test this backpack extensively.  Thank you for considering my application!

      My reports can be found at:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/crazycamper

      Currently Testing:
      Sierra Designs Tent - FR