Owner Review - Benchmade 707 Sequel Knife - Brian Hartman

  • Brian Hartman
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2009
      Below is a review of my Eureka Tent.  The HTML can be found here: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%20Benchmade%20707%20Sequel%20Knife%20-%20Brian%20Hartman/

      September 07, 2009
      NAME: Brian Hartman
      EMAIL: bhart1426ATyahooDOT com
      AGE: 41
      LOCATION: Noblesville, Indiana
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 145 lb (65.80 kg)
      I have been hiking and camping for over 20 years and enjoy backpacking solo and with my kids in Scouting.  I especially enjoy fall and winter backpacking and camping.  My backpack and gear are older and weigh 40+ lbs (18 kg).  This has limited the distances I have been able to cover while hiking.  My goal over the next several years is to replace my existing clothing and gear with more suitable and lighter weight alternatives.

      Manufacturer: Benchmade
      Year of Manufacture: 2008
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.benchmade.com">>
      MSRP: $150 US
      Listed Weight: 2.6 oz (74 g)
      Measured Weight: 2.6 oz (74 g)
      Other details:

      Blade Length: 2.95" (7.50 cm)
      Blade Thickness: 0.120" (3.05 mm)
      Blade Material: 154CM Stainless Steel
      Blade Hardness: 58-60 HRC
      Blade Style: Modified Clip-Point; Ambidextrous Dual Thumb Stud
      Handle: 6061-T6 Aluminum with G10 Inlays/double 410 stainless steel liners
      Clip: Black, Reversible, Tip-Up
      Lock Mechanism: AXIS
      Overall Length: 6.75" (17.15 cm)
      Closed Length: 3.80" (9.65 cm)
      Sheath Material: Sold Separately
      Class: Blue
      Warranty: Limited Lifetime
      The Benchmade 707 Sequel Knife is a folding knife designed for general purpose use.  It comes in two blade configurations: plain (or smooth) and combo edge.  The combo edge adds a partially serrated edge to the back half of the blade while it maintains a plain edge up front.  The 707 is also available with Benchmade's BenchKote (BK1) coating.  BenchKote is a poly-ceramic coating that has a matte black, non-glare finish.  This coating provides additional corrosion resistance and durability for use in wet conditions.

      The blade style is described as modified Clip-Point.  In this case, the back (or dull edge) of the knife blade starts straight from the handle and slopes gently downwards to the knife's point, which is approximately in the center of the blade's width.  At the meeting point of the edges, the sharpened edge curves upward and meets the back edge of the blade.  The back is "clipped" along the furthest two thirds of the blade to make the tip thinner and sharper.

      The blade is made from 154CM stainless steel at 58-60 Rc. and measures 2.95" (74.93 mm) in length.  154CM is a premium grade stainless steel which was developed for tough industrial applications.  It offers great corrosion resistance with good toughness and edge quality.

      The machined aluminum handles have black G-10 inlays which Benchmade claims provide secure grip in most conditions.  A removeable metal belt clip is attached to the far end of the handle.

      Benchmade's patented locking mechanism is called AXIS.  It consists of a steel bar which rides forward and back in a slot machined into both steel liners. The bar is positioned over the rear of the blade and extends to both sides of the knife, spanning the liners.  It engages the end (tang) portion of the knife blade when it is opened.  Spings push the locking bar into the tang, and as a result the tang is solidly locked between the stop pin and the AXIS bar itself.  Because the AXIS bar extends to both sides of the knife, it offers ambidextrous use.
      <<IMAGE 2>>
      My 707 Sequel knife arrived in a plain blue box with Benchmade's logo on it.  Also included in the box were instructions and a silk carrying pouch.  Initial inspection of the knife didn't show any problems.  The fit and finish were top notch.  The Axis lock mechanism was smooth, and the blade was sharp and well polished.  There were no noticeable scratches or other blemishes.

      Upon opening the knife, I was immediately impressed by the wide shape and geometry of the blade.  The extra width adds strength to the blade and will come in handy while performing various camp chores.
      I use this knife daily and have taken it on many backpacking trips over the past twelve months.  Most of the time I store it in a knife sheath which I wear on my belt.  This has worked out very well for me as the knife is secure while I'm trekking and easily accessible when I need to use it.  I have also tried using the belt clip but the clip is so tight that it is very difficult to slide over my belt.  An alternative has been to clip the knife to my front pants pocket, however my pocket is starting to wear thin from the force of the knife clip rubbing on the fabric.

      I am extremely satisfied with the AXIS locking mechanism.  It is sturdy, operates smoothly and allows me to open and close the knife with one hand.  I didn't realize how much I would appreciate this design feature until having owned this knife.  Not only is the ability to open and close the knife with one hand convenient, it is a big time saver.  There are also many times when I don't have two hands to spare to open my knife, without setting something down or letting go of it.

      I really like the blade on this knife.  I've used it for everything from cutting robe, cardboard and plastic to preparing tinder for my fire and whittling wood.  I've also used it for food prep including slicing meat, tomatoes and bread to spreading peanut butter.  Despite constant use, the blade is still very sharp.  Although I had many choices for blade steel, I am very happy with 154CM.  My experience has been that it is very durable, holds a great edge and is fairly easy to sharpen.  The blade itself is slightly wider than a standard drop-point blade which gives it a sturdier feel and this extra width seems to work well for alot of my food prep tasks.

      The Sequel handle has been very comfortable for prolonged use.  The handle and grip felt secure all the time, even when I had to exert significant force when making a cut.  I have also come to appreciate the handle ergonomics for prolonged cutting sessions.
      The Benchmade 707 Sequel is a great knife for backpacking.  It is strong, lightweight and capable of handling light cutting chores with ease.  It has very solid feel, due to the aluminum handles and overall sturdy design.  It opens with a very smooth action, locks tightly and has nice balance.  After twelve months of contiual use, the blade has stayed sharp enough to cut tomatoes.  It is an expensive knife, but worth the price.
      Thin profile and lightweight design make it perfect for everyday carrry
      Easy, one-handed opening
      Solid locking mechanism
      Quality blade steel retains sharpness

      Brian Hartman