APPLICATION: Patagonia Men’s Nano Puff Pull over - Christensen

  • Ryan Christensen
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2009
      Application to test the Patagonia Men’s Nano Puff Pullover

      Please accept my application to test the Patagonia Men’s Nano Puff Pullover. I have read the BGT Survival Guide v. 0609 and Bylaws v. 0609 and I agree to comply with all requirements and timetables. My signed Tester Agreement is on file with BGT.

      Reviewer Information:

      Name: Ryan L. Christensen
      Age: 45
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)
      Weight: 235 lb (107 kg)
      Email address: bigdawgryan (at) yahoo (dot) com
      City, State, Country: Idaho Falls, ID, U.S.A

      Backpacking Background:

      I began backpacking at twelve, continuing until 25. After an extended hiatus, due in part to a bad back, I resumed cycling, hiking, and backpacking several years ago and began snowshoeing and cross-country skiing. I share my love for backpacking and these sports with my children. For several years, we have hiked or camped nearly every month, year-round. We vary our experience: desert, forest, meadow, and mountain; spring, summer, fall, and winter; sunshine, rain, wind, or snow. I am a lightweight backpacker, but carry a full array of necessary gear.

      Field Information:

      I live in Idaho Falls; a town in southeastern Idaho, with an elevation is 4,700 ft (1,433 m) above sea level. I plan is to test the Patagonia Men’s Nano Puff Pullover in southeastern Idaho and southwestern Wyoming on all my hiking, backpacking, and snowshoeing outings during the test period. In mid-September I have an overnight backpacking trip to Aldous Lake. Aldous and Hancock lakes are located in the Centennial Mountains, north of Kilgore, Idaho, at the base of the continental divide. I am also working a possible trip to Moab, Utah later this fall. In addition, I will be hiking and snowshoeing in the Kelly Canyon Nordic Area. The Kelly Canyon Nordic Area, which is located 26 miles (42 km) northeast of Idaho Falls, in the Targhee National Forest. The Nordic Area starts at an elevation of approximately 5,900 ft (1,798 m) and reaches elevations of 6,700 ft (2,042 m). Outings during the test period may include elevations ranging between 4,700 ft
      (1,433 m) and 11,200 feet (3,414 m). Weather during the test period should include wind, rain, snow with average temps ranging from highs in the low 90’s F (low 30’s C) to the low teens F (-10 to -18 C). However, the temperature can and often does drop to 30 below 0 F (-34 C) or colder.

      Proposed Test Plan:

      I am eager to test this lightweight, synthetic jacket to see how well it performs as an outer and mid layer while hiking, cross-country skiing, and snowshoeing. What temperature range can I comfortably wear it as an outer layer and remain warm? As an outer layer, how well does the DWR-treated fabric shed moisture? How effectively does it keep the wind out? What temperature range can I comfortably wear it as a mid layer without becoming too warm? As a mid layer, how well does it breathe? Is it bulky over weight wool and/or synthetic base layers? Is it bulky underneath another shell or insulation layer? Will it restrict movement in any way? How well does the Nano Puff compact? Will multiple compactions affect its performance? If selected for this test, based on Patagonia’s sizing chart, I would like to test the Men’s XXL. My color choices in order of preference are: Golden Palm, Bonfire Orange, Continental Blue, Forge Grey, and finally
      Black.

      Thanks to Patagonia and BGT for considering me to test the Men’s Nano Puff Pullover.

      Current Tests:

      - Suisse Sport Adventurer Sleeping Bag – FR due 9/29 [temps will soon preclude testing]
      - Benchmade 580 Barrage Knife – IR due 9/03
      - Darn Tough Micro Cool Socks – receipt pending

      Test Applications Currently Under Consideration:

      - Asolo Freeland Series Boots

      BGT Involvement:

      - Test Call Manager
      - Test Monitor

      Previous Reviews:

      Please click the link below to access my Owner Reviews and Test Reports.

      http://tinyurl.com/pwvrl