Application to test - Mens Teva Riva - Ray Estrella

  • rayestrella1
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2009
      Viva la Teva Reva-lucion!

      Please accept my application to test the Men's Teva Riva. I have read the BackpackGearTest.org bylaws v. 0609 including, but not limited to, Chapter 5. I agree to comply with and exceed all requirements.

      Tester Information
      Name: Raymond Estrella
      Age: 48
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 3" (193 cm)
      Weight: 200 lb (91 kg)
      Email address: rayestrella@...
      City: Huntington Beach
      State: California
      Country: USA
      Date: September 1, 2009

      Backpacking Background:

      I have been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California, and in many of the western states and Minnesota. I hike year-round, and average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I have made a move to lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. I start early and hike hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring. I usually take a freestanding tent and enjoy hot meals at night. If not hiking solo I am usually with my wife Jenn and/or brother-in-law Dave.

      Test plan

      I do a lot of backpacking. I get in at least one multi-day trip and usually two of them each month. Dave and I try to get a couple long day-hikes or fast-packs in each month too. We call it the PCT by Wednesday Club as we keep knocking out 20-35 mile pieces of it by the day.

      I have a 79-mile trip in northern California for the last days of September. I expect to see snow. I have two 40+-mile over-nighters trips planned for October and November in the Mohave Desert and the Piute and Tehachapi Mountains. I expect to see temps during the test period from 20 F to 90 F with snow and rain for sure. I have been wanting to switch to a shoe as my pack weights are getting down lately and I think I can swing it.

      I will write about all the same stuff that I have written about in the many reports and ORs I have submitted for footwear, including Teva (Ossagon, although I called it wished-it was-gone…) and the four other footwear tests I have had the fortune to participate in. I also owned Teva's first trail runners and have a new model right now, although they are for walking, not hiking. So I know the company.

      I have 2 tests in LTR at this time; one (boots) will be done next month. The Packa will be done in October. I was selected for some socks, which I will be able to wear with the Reva shoes. I would rather have the Teva Reva shoes over the boots just to do something different. Of course should it fail miserably I shall blame you…

      My involvement with BGT includes active duty as Editor, Test Monitor and Mentor.

      I have completed a lot of test series.

      I have written a lot of Owner Reviews.

      My reports and reviews can be found at;
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/rayestrella