Application - Osprey Atmos 35 Pack - Callahan

  • tcallahanbgt
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2009
      Hoping to squeeze this in before Nancy randomly closes the test call again.... :-P

      Please accept my application to test the Osprey Atmos 35 pack. I have read the BackpackGearTest.org bylaws v. 0609 including Chapter 5. and agree to follow all instructions and fulfill all requirements. My signed tester agreement is on file.

      Tester Information:
      Name: Tom Callahan
      Age: 50
      Gender: M
      Height: 5'10" (1.8 m)
      Weight: 170 lbs (77.1 kg)
      Email address: tcallahanbgt@...
      City: Seattle
      State: Washington
      Country: USA
      Date: September 1, 2009

      Backpacking Background:
      I started backpacking with the Boy Scouts in eastern Pennsylvania. When I first moved to Washington over 20 years ago I re-immersed myself in hiking and backpacking. I get out regularly in the nearby Cascade Mountains for a variety of day hikes and multi-day trips. My outings are variable but a typical day will involve, on average, 10 miles (16 km) on the trail and an elevation gain of 3,000 ft (900 m). Usually I try to include a good off trail scramble with my trips. My pack weight varies between 25 to 50 lbs (11 to 23 kg), depending on the nature and duration of my trip. In winter I get out snowshoeing and cross-country skiing at every opportunity. In addition to hiking and snowshoeing, I also enjoy getting out and doing some glacier climbing on prominent peaks like Mt. Rainier and Mt. Baker.

      Field Conditions and Test Locations:

      I will be testing this pack primarily in the Cascade Mountains. During the test period I will be wearing the pack mostly on day trips since the 35L capacity is not enough for my overnight gear. However I will take the pack with me on overnight trips when peak-bagging and scrambling because it will make a great summit pack. Exact dates for these trips are not set because of my proximity to the Cascades and flexible work schedule which enables me to get away with little advanced planning. These outings will include hiking initially, but depending on delivery and the weather, at some point the trails will become snowbound. At that point I will be using this pack on snowshoe and cross country ski outings. I'll be using this pack at elevations ranging from 1,000 to 8,000 ft (300 to 2,400 m). As noted in my background, trips will cover an elevation gain of around 3,000 ft (900 m). Temperatures will range from 60 to 15 F (18 to -9C). During the testing period I am sure to encounter the full range of fall-winter Pacific Northwest weather. This will include sunny fall weather and then undoubtedly I'll be out in overcast conditions with rain and wet snow.

      Test Plan:
      Initial Impressions, upon receiving the pack I will be looking at its construction and checking out the stitching, straps, fabric. I'll be interested to see how adjustable the pack is and how well it fits on me.

      Then I will be anxious to get out in the field with the pack. As fall takes hold and winter approaches I begin to take more gear with me, even on day trips. This includes such things as extra warm clothing, food, stove, snow shovel, etc. I think the 35L capacity will do well to accommodate my gear, but testing the pack is the only way to really find out.

      Since the pack has just a 35L capacity, I won't be able to use it as my sole pack for overnight trips, but I will be bringing it along as my summit pack. Not only will it have the capacity to hold things like my clothing and food, it also has straps for an ice axe and trekking poles. When peak-bagging or scrambling I am usually dispensing with my trekking poles at some point in the day. So I'll be anxious to see how the Stow-On-The-Go system works for holding my poles. I will also be checking out the pack to see how well it carries items like an ice axe and snow shovel. In conjunction with the gear carrying capability I'll also be anxious to check out the InSideOut Compression system to see how well it works to secure my load when the pack pockets are in use.

      In addition to the pack's gear carrying capability, I'll of course be testing the pack for comfort. I'll want to find out how well it carries a load as I approach the upper comfort range of 25 lbs ( 11 kg). I'll also be testing the AirSpeed suspension and the BioStretch harness and hipbelt. I'm particularly interested to see what I think of the perforated foam that is a key feature of this system. Will it keep me noticeably cooler while still providing adequate cushion?

      And since I'm sure to be out in rain and snow during testing I'll be checking out how well the pack sheds water, keeping the pack contents dry.

      Thank you for your consideration to test the Osprey Atmos 35 pack.

      Pending Test Applications: None

      Current Tests in Progress:
      Outdoor Research Contour Windshirt, currently Field Testing

      Currently Monitoring:
      Platypus Cleanstream Gravity Microfilter
      Don't Bite Me Insect Patches

      Tom C.